Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Rank the NFL Divisions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AFC West is seriously overrated. It's not 2006 anymore, three of those teams got worse and Oakland is still Oakland.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you KC being worse, but how are Denver or SD worse? Keep in mind their QBs have some experience under their belt now.

[/ QUOTE ]

KC is upgraded or the same at every position except left guard and maybe kicker. They may very well be worse, or they may be better. But I have no idea how the group-think on this is that they are on the decline.

Their defense is young, fast and hungry at every position except MLB (Donnie Edwards) and CB (Law, Surtain), who can all still play. Donnie Edwards quarterbacking the defense again is a huge upgrade. Page, Pollard, Allen, Hali and Johnson are all very good and could be poised for a breakout season. Napolean Harris is an upgrade at the other OLB. DTs are a question mark, but Tank Johnson has looked pretty good so far. And no way our DTs could be any worse than the last few years.

I really think KC is headed back to our roots - dominating, opportunistic defense/plodding, turnover-free offense. KC fans feel much more comfortable this way. And it's a good recipe for at least making the playoffs every year.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NFC West is BY FAR the worst division in the NFL. BY FAR.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] stormstarter28 doesn't know football
Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 PM

That's nice. Except KC's offense is going to be terrible. Bad QB, bad O-Line, bad recievers, and a RB that is going to get Hermed to death.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM

Receivers: Kennison had one of his best seasons as a pro last year. We drafted a big stud wideout #1. And we drafted a guy named last year named Jeff Webb who I really want to see what he can do if he gets a chance. Sammie Parker needs to go.

QB: Huard was light-years better than Green last year. The Dolphins are idiots. Huard was like 7-2 with the second highest QB rating in the league. In 3 or 4 games he was lights out accuracy, with a game-winning drive to win very late. He may not be an all pro, but I'll take my chances with Huard in a conservative ball-control offense. He made very few bad decisions last year.

TE: Gonzalez is still one of the best in the game, and we have Jason Dunn one of the best blocking backs in the league, and Kris Wilson, one of those triple-threat guys.

RB: Who cares. Johnson won't suck this year. Michael Bennett is more than adequate at backup and we may even have Priest Holmes as a 3rd down back. Wouldn't be first, 2nd or 3rd time Holmes has been counted out and come back.

O-Line: Yes, they could be pretty bad, but only because we have no left tackle (doh). We have a perennial all-pro guard in Brian Waters, a center who should be an all pro (Wiegmann), a guy at right tackle who's not too bad (Welbourn), and 2 giant question marks at LG and LT (unless they're moving Waters to LG). We need to pray someone steps up and/or Turley gets back to anything like his old form - I think they may be trying him at guard. We did pick up Damion McIntosh as a free agent, but he's been hurt. Best news is we got rid of highway Jordan Black at LT - the express lane to the QB. Again we may suck at LT, but we couldn't be any worse than last year.

Stop listening to the talking heads. In small markets*, they always ignore very good, rising young players like Page and Pollard, or non pro-bowl veterans like Kennison and Wiegmann quietly having a great year.

The beauty of the NFL is the vast majority of teams could be good, bad or average in any given year. You really never know until a couple games into the season. They Chiefs managed to scratch out a 9-7 playoff season last year with a worse defense and probably similar offense to what they will have this year.

* Case in point - Albert Lewis is probably one of the top 5 cornerbacks to ever play the game. He went entire seasons without getting beat once. He also blocked 11 punts I think. But because he played all his best years in KC, and no one EVER threw at him so he could rack up interceptions, he doesn't make the HOF on his first try. This is criminal.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM

First of all, huge LOL at thinking I listen to the talking heads. The only reason I read/watch ESPN is for news updates and to laugh at their analysis. Except Jaws. He rules.

Anyway, nice rose colored glasses you're wearing there. Huard had a nice little run last year, but he's a career backup QB. You can't extrapolate those few games to an entire year, because expecting him to perform like that for the long haul is asking way too much. Grossman and Romo also had similar runs over a few games last year before falling off. Also, I thought they announced Croyle was starting, but I could be mistaken there.

Let's check out same ages, shall we?

Kennison: 34
Edwards: 34
Gonzalez: 31
Holmes: 33
Law: 33
Surtain: 31

Those are some big ages considering position. Some of those players will decline. Gonzalez, in particular, had a tremendous season that he probably won't be able to duplicate. Ditto expecing Kennison to repeat a career year at age 34.

Edit: Forgot to add, Kennison is a good player and perhaps he can repeat his year, but it's unlikely, especially since their offense as a whole will decline. Parker is ok too, not sure why you said he needs to go. But don't expect much out of Bowe; wide reciever is a particularly tough position for rookies. Perhaps "bad recievers" was too harsh, but they're no better than mediocre.

Johnson and your backs are only as good as the line in front of them, and that line is a shadow of it's former self. Bennett is a reasonable backup, but what happens if Johnson gets hurt, the liklihood of which is very high?

But hey, what do I know? Let's ask the experts.

The Prospectus gives KC a mean win expectation of 5.2 wins, good for dead last in the entire NFL.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Rich Gannon was a backup QB for 8 years or so. It's by no means unheard or impossible that they shine when they finally get their chance. Huard shined last year. He may not do it again. But I feel a lot better than I would have if he sucked balls last year. They announced he was starting QB 2 days ago. Croyle has been erratic and made some really dumb throws.

All those old guys could decline and may a little. But they're all still at a high level (except Holmes). Saying you know this is the year some or all of them are going to start sucking right now is pure conjecture. On balance our team is pretty young.

I agree Bowe may not do much. But it's not impossible for a rookie WR to make an impact. If you watched every Chiefs game you'd know why I feel that way about Parker. He has a habit of making a great play, then dropping the ball in a crucial situation. I'm not sure I've ever seen him put together a good mistake-free game, much less string of games.

Our O-line wasn't much better last year than it will be this year and Johnson gained 1700 yards. We'll still have a good running game this year. What happens to the Chargers if LT gets hurt? You can say the same about any team with a star RB or QB.

[censored] the experts. Those guys all get together and agree on the same thing. Nice job predicting Quinn's draft spot guys. Every year those guys play up the [censored] NFC East to be god's gift to football. Yet the AFC West ends up one of the strongest year in/year out. And we ALWAYS play the most exciting division rivalry prime-time games.

The Chiefs aren't very sexy right now, so no one's paying any attention to them. But again, I'm not saying the Chiefs are necessarily going 12-4 and a SB contender. I'm just saying it's not at all obvious that they are on the decline like everyone says. I think they're going to have a better team than last year, and could make the playoffs with some luck.

What do you think the experts were predicting when Green went down in the first game? Now I don't blame them, I was thinking we were done too. But the team rallied around Huard, and Herm found a way to win some games, actually we went on a little tear. Herm seems to be good at that. Huard is fiery out there. He really doesn't like to lose. It was a nice change of pace from the often emotionless Green. I'd feel a lot worse right now if I hadn't seen that happen last year, or if we still had Green or Jordan Black.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens to the Chargers if LT gets hurt?

[/ QUOTE ]
Micheal Turner steps in they don't miss a beat.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I don't think the Chargers OL is "Chiefs in their heyday" good, do you?

Not that they wouldn't still be a good team...
Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rich Gannon was a backup QB for 8 years or so. It's by no means unheard or impossible that they shine when they finally get their chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. But the much more likely scenario is that Huard just ran hot for a few games and won't repeat it. Should you feel better because he played well last year? Yes. But don't expect a repeat.

As an aside, playing Huard helps the Chiefs now, but not in the long-run. It's just Herm trying to save his job. The guy is 34 and not the long-term answer; they should be playing Croyle imo. As a Chiefs fan, do you agree with me?

[ QUOTE ]
All those old guys could decline and may a little. But they're all still at a high level (except Holmes). Saying you know this is the year some or all of them are going to start sucking right now is pure conjecture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything, and yes it's just conjecture. But it's conjecture based on historical precident. History tells us that one or more of them will decline. Players that rely on speed (recievers, cornerbacks, excellent cover linebackers like Edwards) decline earlier than, say, offensive lineman. Look at Tampa's defense last year. They rode Rice/Barber/Brooks/Quareles/Ect. for a long time, but those guys finally got old and their defense fell apart last year. KC's offense is eroding in the same way. It could be gradual or it could be sudden. There's no way to no for sure, but it's cause for concern.

[ QUOTE ]
Our O-line wasn't much better last year than it will be this year and Johnson gained 1700 yards. We'll still have a good running game this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you see LJ ran for 1700 yards and think "zomg good running game" when that isn't the case. O-Line ranked 17th in adjusted line yards. LJ ranked 2nd in DPAR for total value but only 15th in DVOA in value per play. The team as a whole ranked 17th in total rushing DVOA. That's not a good running game, it's a mediocre one that features one back who racked up a lot of yards by setting an NFL record for carries.

[ QUOTE ]
What happens to the Chargers if LT gets hurt? You can say the same about any team with a star RB or QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

If LT goes down they plug in Turner, who had the best rushing DVOA in the NFL last year, and barely miss a beat because they have the best O-Line in the league. Ditto Jacksonville with Taylor/MJD, ditto Philly with Westbrook/Buck, ditto Indy with Addai/Whoever. The line is more important than the back.

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] the experts. Those guys all get together and agree on the same thing. Nice job predicting Quinn's draft spot guys. Every year those guys play up the [censored] NFC East to be god's gift to football.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Prospectus isn't written by ESPN, it's written by FO. And the mean win projection isn't a number the writers make up sitting in a room together, it's based on a computer projection system that is pretty damn accurate considering how volatile the NFL is. And what does Quinn's draft spot or the NFC East have anything to do with any of this? If you're trying to say that the ESPN football crew is retarded, then I already agreed with you.

[ QUOTE ]
I think they're going to have a better team than last year, and could make the playoffs with some luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to make a wager on that?

I understand that you're a Chiefs fan and you want to look at things in a good light. That's fine. Please don't take any of this personally. From an unbiased, objective viewpoint, the Chiefs are in trouble this year. It's more likely that they regress than they get better.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I don't think the Chargers OL is "Chiefs in their heyday" good, do you?

Not that they wouldn't still be a good team...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the O-line is very solid, but I also think Turner is a beast. He would start for several teams in the league.