Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Dilemma: Still being paid from old job

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was a case similar to this on judge judy except small-scale. An employer paid an employee 7100 instead of 170, employee spent the money before they asked for it back, and said i don't wanna give it back (because god told her she was supposed to get it). It was pretty much concluded that this woman could've had criminal charges filed against her.

[/ QUOTE ]

What charge? Certainly not fraud, larceny, or embezzlement...

[/ QUOTE ]
In Nevada, it's theft.

Are people really so stupid as to not think this is illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason we find it hard to be illegal is that its bull [censored] if it is and irrational. He didnt do ANYTHING at all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's keeping money that clearly was not supposed to be sent to him. It is a clerical error, he knows it, and should call the company to have it corrected. Even if keeping the money is somehow technically legal, he and those supporting him in this thread have weak ethics.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was a case similar to this on judge judy except small-scale. An employer paid an employee 7100 instead of 170, employee spent the money before they asked for it back, and said i don't wanna give it back (because god told her she was supposed to get it). It was pretty much concluded that this woman could've had criminal charges filed against her.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In Nevada, it's theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason we find it hard to be illegal is that its bull [censored] if it is and irrational. He didnt do ANYTHING at all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's keeping money that clearly was not supposed to be sent to him. It is a clerical error, he knows it, and should call the company to have it corrected. Even if keeping the money is somehow technically legal, he and those supporting him in this thread have weak ethics.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry for poker ref:

when I some moron at a poker table do I send it back cause they didnt realize they were stupid?

since when is it a person's responsibility to take care of some random other person.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In Nevada, it's theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry for poker ref:

when I some moron at a poker table do I send it back cause they didnt realize they were stupid?

since when is it a person's responsibility to take care of some random other person.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't gambling, it's a clerical error. If you were transferring $200 to a friend on PStars and accidentally sent $2000, would you expect your friend to give the extra $1800 back?

Your second point makes no sense, so I can't comment on it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Ask for a raise
Old 03-01-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In Nevada, it's theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry for poker ref:

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't gambling, it's a clerical error. If you were transferring $200 to a friend on PStars and accidentally sent $2000, would you expect your friend to give the extra $1800 back?

Your second point makes no sense, so I can't comment on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt aware his work was his friend. stop using analogies that dont apply. This may as well be some random person putting money in his account that he has no ties to emotionally.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasnt aware his work was his friend. stop using analogies that dont apply. This may as well be some random person putting money in his account that he has no ties to emotionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

My analogy still holds. It's like giving a bum a hundo instead of a one.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 PM

The right thing to do is give it back.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Bump for the update: They carried on paying me for another couple of months and then I got standard paperwork through stating a leaving date of the end of April rather than the end of December. This came through in May and then the money stopped. I've not heard anything since so looks like I got away with it.

I hope I don't have to do another bump in 6 months time when they ask for it back.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 PM

this sort of happened to me with bank of america to the tune of about $500 or so. I realized it was probably a mistake, but being as iplayed a decent amount of live poker there was money going in and out of my bank alot. I went to the bank and tried to verify the situation. They told me that they could see no error and assured me it was my money. A couple months later $500 vanished from my account. I went in with a WTF complain, and they told me that it was never my money so they had the right to take t back. I put up a bit of an argument,but pretty much roled over as it became getting clear getting it cack would be a huge hassle. I did close my accounts at B of A out of protests. They really are Ck Sckrs over there. As it pertains to your story, I wouldn't spend it for a while if I were you just to be sure. Give it a year or something.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Wow i missed this thread the first time but this ahppened to a friend of mine. he lost the lawsuti and is still paying th emoney back 3 years later.

you can finds tons of articles about this kind of thing if you search on the internet. i remember the Cubs paid one guy like $5mil once cause he had teh same name as one of their pitchers. they gave him season tickets or something but made it very clear that the only thing owed was their money back to them.