Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Put poker on resume?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when you earn money from trading stocks, you don't think on the other end someone is losing that money?

[/ QUOTE ] If by 'trading' you mean buying and selling stocks in a portfolio (simple transactions, not short sells, furutres, options, etc) then people only lose theoretical money. If you buy a stock for $50 and sell it for $100, it's not like someone just 'lost' $50; they simply agreed to purchase it at a price that happens to be $50 higher than the price for which you purchased it because the stock you purchased happens to be in higher demand at the time of sale.
[ QUOTE ]
how is trading stocks add to "economic value" of the society.

[/ QUOTE ] Becuase when you invest in a company or project that yields a high rate of return, you are investing in a project which turned out to be particularly important for society. Is a sense, an investor who consitently makes money beyond the market average does so because he accurately predicts which projects and companies are the most economically viable, and diverts funding to those most important uses.
[ QUOTE ]
We die from hunger if there was no stocks?

[/ QUOTE ] Capital would be distributed much less efficiently and we would be less technologically advanced. The be perfectly blunt--yes, it's entirely possible we would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in poker a fish "agrees" to get a stack in preflop with QTo, and it happens you have AA. Same as the stock example IMO.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Put the following:

"When invited to home games at previous jobs, i took teh coworkers moniez all friggin night long! LOLCOWORKERDONKAMENTS"
Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 AM

T50_Omaha8,

Your arguments against poker being a respectable profession are laughable. You qualify respectable jobs as adding "economic benefit" which can lead to "technological advancement"? Do you enjoy living in an illusory bubble that your society has created for you?

Don't tell people to take an economics course, tell yourself to think for a few hours/days/weeks about the TRUE value one can add to our world as a result of their profession. Do not define value based purely upon our current culture's presumed scale. Think beyond this. I believe you will find that we are all indeed playing a zero-sum game if you think in the aggregate. Value can only be measured on the individual level, and this is where your views, whether born from you or the mob that raised you, can be given their worth. Poker can never be declared a societal good or bad, it is both.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 AM

BHold,

You strike me as worse than eco-[censored] who spend time bantering about saving the whales.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
T50_Omaha8,

Your arguments against poker being a respectable profession are laughable. You qualify respectable jobs as adding "economic benefit" which can lead to "technological advancement"? Do you enjoy living in an illusory bubble that your society has created for you?

Don't tell people to take an economics course, tell yourself to think for a few hours/days/weeks about the TRUE value one can add to our world as a result of their profession. Do not define value based purely upon our current culture's presumed scale. Think beyond this. I believe you will find that we are all indeed playing a zero-sum game if you think in the aggregate. Value can only be measured on the individual level, and this is where your views, whether born from you or the mob that raised you, can be given their worth. Poker can never be declared a societal good or bad, it is both.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, so in conclusion, everything is nothing and any attempt to measure or quantify the world is meaningless. Right?

I used to be very left wing and believe in a lot of the crap you are spewing. I've marched with anti-war banners and I've read tons of Chomsky...and it's all nonsense. I was dead wrong...you are too.

I don't have a "bubble" outlook of the world at all. Hell, I've dug through piles of trash in the alleys of one of the worst neighborhoods in America looking for syringes. I've been to countless places your "enlightened" ass wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I'm not the brainwashed idealist; you are. I know the way things are and the way things are going. And if you play poker professionally over the internet, you are doing very, very little to make the way things are going any better.

BTW, have you ever read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? You sound EXACTLY like pretty much all the villians in the book.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 AM

I recently read/skimmed the Wetfeet Ibanking interview guide. What I took from it is:
-Most resumes are scanned in about 30 seconds
-The most important factor is GPA

I feel like poker could only hurt if it were in place of ECs or internships that would look more relevant. There's a huge difference between listing it in the last line as "interests" vs. putting it in the area with real jobs and describing what you've learned.

At this point I'm most likely going to leave it under interests, but am considering playing a ton this summer and then listing it as a job with specifics from this summer (like earned $X, averaged Y hours per week).

If (theoretically) someone earned $100k in a summer, it's hard to believe he'd get dinged for it. I think this would be very impressive and would expect to be pressed for details.

One recruiter on a different forum mentioned that he will always ask about outs and odds as testers.