Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: 2 Basketball question

[ QUOTE ]
Also Bob, I really don't think it would matter if the women were all 6'4" or 6'5" or whatever and the guys all under 6'1". Lisa Leslie is the only woman over 6'3" I've ever seen who looked like she could walk and chew gum at the same time, and I don't think women get proportionately stronger as they get taller. I'm pretty confident my 6-foot self could push just about any tall woman out of the post without much effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually isn't true. I'm 6'2", about 195, and pretty decent at basketball. But some of the women's post players are pretty thick and have some beastly post moves. It was much harder to guard the post than the guards.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:38 PM

Even if the female players had a height advantage, wouldn't the male players be able to exploit their lack of quickness on the perimeter and the break? A 6-6 female player on the outside is going to be like a 7 footer wandering around in the men's game.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also Bob, I really don't think it would matter if the women were all 6'4" or 6'5" or whatever and the guys all under 6'1". Lisa Leslie is the only woman over 6'3" I've ever seen who looked like she could walk and chew gum at the same time, and I don't think women get proportionately stronger as they get taller. I'm pretty confident my 6-foot self could push just about any tall woman out of the post without much effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drew, I have no idea how strong you are. But Cheryl Ford, Karl Malone's daughter, is like 6'3" 200. I don't think it's quite as easy as you're making it out to be.

-McGee
Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 PM

I honestly don't know if I could play in the WNBA. I *think* I could, since I did so well against Tesha, but like I said she didn't make the cut for the WNBA. I know she had tryouts, like I said. But I don't even know if she played in Europe. I don't think I'd be a good enough shooter, but I think I could definitely have been an all-defensive player. Maybe a poor-womans Stacy Augman or something. The main point is that most D-III guys are WAYYY better than me. One of my HS teammates was much, much, much better than me, and he could only make D-III. He was one of the national leaders in 3-point shooting, though, and he couldn't crack it in Europe. So if D3 guys are much better than me, and WNBA players are much better than Tesha, I see D3 guys coming out on top.

I do think she would be good enough to play for a bigger D-1 women's program. If she's a 3-time all-conference for a small D-1 team, I'm sure she could at least get some playing time for a bigger conference team. She was only 5'6" though, as a point guard. I don't follow women's basketball, so I don't know how big the PG's are at some of the powers, like Tennessee or UCONN.

The other thing I thought of - ESPN used to have a gameshow where a group of people (a few men and a few women) would all travel around the country and take on pro athletes in certain contests. One of the guys had to beat a WNBA player one on one. I think it was actually Chamique Holdsclaw, who was a great player. I don't think he was a college player. He did end up losing, but I believe it was very close.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if the female players had a height advantage, wouldn't the male players be able to exploit their lack of quickness on the perimeter and the break? A 6-6 female player on the outside is going to be like a 7 footer wandering around in the men's game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically. That's what I've been saying the whole thread. On D I would just deny them a lot and not let them get me sealed. On O the coaches would have to tell me to move slower cause I went around them too quickly [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. My only point is that your average guy has more of an athleticism/quickness advantage than a brute strength/size advantage.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are their really D-3 teams with no one taller than 6-1? I can't imagine it's that hard to find a couple of 6-6 "projects" as walk-ons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember a school that had lost something like 200 straight before winning last year. Cal Poly Tech maybe was the name?

There are quite a few schools like that...they're insanely hard academic schools that force all students to play one sport. Most of their athletes would probably get cut from the local HS team. I think they were DIII, and no I don't think they had anyone over 6ft 1in, but I could be wrong there.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Drew, I have no idea how strong you are. But Cheryl Ford, Karl Malone's daughter, is like 6'3" 200. I don't think it's quite as easy as you're making it out to be.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 6'0" and about 215 and I'm probably above average in strength for a guy my size, but I'm certainly no Hercules. I'd wager $1000 that I could push Lil Malone out of the post with very little difficulty, and she's probably one of the strongest female players in the world.

I mean seriously, I can squat 225 pounds. That's nothing for a man, but what % of women could actually do this? 1%? 2%?

Women ain't strong.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:17 AM

I'm 6'2 and got cut from the highschool basketball team. I played 21 with a chick (had an inch or two on me and maybe 4 -5 years) who played d3 ball and her boyfriend.

She destroyed me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I now feel really crappy about this so every time I play sports with my wife I feel the need to make her cry.

Sorry dear

Edit: This is not trolling and i'm 100% serious I make my wife cry in tennis.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Again, Assani is spot on. Most of you are severely underestimating NBA level defense.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:23 PM

you make your wife cry when you play sports?
seek counseling.

I crushed my GF by 20 strokes in miniature golf the other day.
I destroyed her!!!!!!!!!