Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: US sports nuts explain to me the appeal of college sports

[ QUOTE ]
1. Players try hard in college because they are hoping to be high draft picks and get fat, guaranteed pro contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

...or maybe they love the game.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Players try hard in college because they are hoping to be high draft picks and get fat, guaranteed pro contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about contract years in the pros?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:06 PM

"blah blah college so much more fundamental blah blah"

LOL at all the people parroting stupid talking heads' opinions that are just plain wrong or irrelevent.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plz do not post in this thread if you haven't grown up in a college town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz do not post in this thread if you are too fat to play anything but darts.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:15 PM

Passion. That's my only real reason. I could care less watching NBA guys preen around the court, I'll take the heart of college kids and the upset factor + tournament anyday. The NFL bores me with the endless commercials, but college isn't that much better. I will take MLB over college baseball, metal bats suck. Hockey is a wash.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about contract years in the pros?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why you see guys have big years in the season before they become a free agent. They are motivated. Being in the 2nd year of an 8-year 95 million dollar contract doesn't provide the same incentive.

Former Cubs broadcaster Steve Stone believes that there should be nothing but 1 year contracts in baseball. Presumably everyone would play their a***** off to get 15 mil for next season.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

here is a list of them: chris webber, vince carter, chris wilcox, tracy mcgrady, jermaine oneal...i cant really think of any others does anyone want to help fill in the rest of the list??

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt think jermaine oneal belonged on that list but i guess i havent watched him enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jermaine absolutely belongs on this list. Usually he has the decency to hide behind a minor injury and just not suit up rather than go out and half ass it though so you don't always notice.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:05 PM

People who say College BBall is better than the NBA are absolutely stupid. The Tournament rules, the regular season blows. You can say the players try more and its more a team ball, but you know what? Its also incredibly boring. Its a step up from HS basketball.

The game format is horrible, two 20 minute halfs, the shot clock is waay to long. The offenses are boring, pass around the perimeter, find an open big one on one, shoot. Repeat. With three's thrown in because the 3 pt line is a joke as well.

Every year there is maybe 10 guys in college worth watching. Yeah!
Old 11-19-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Passion. That's my only real reason. I could care less watching NBA guys preen around the court, I'll take the heart of college kids and the upset factor + tournament anyday. The NFL bores me with the endless commercials, but college isn't that much better. I will take MLB over college baseball, metal bats suck. Hockey is a wash.

[/ QUOTE ]

The upset factor has nothing to do with heart and more to do with shorter games, less possession, one game series, and no home court advantage.

Seriously I hate when people pull out the race card, but most people saying that NCAA has more heart means they have more unathletic white guys like Gerry McNamara. Look at guys like Rudy Gay and Rashad McCants, they didn't try in college and they don't really try in the pros, it's not like these guys develop apathy out of nowhere when they play in the pros.

NCAA Football games are longer than NFL games.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The upset factor has nothing to do with heart and more to do with shorter games, less possession, one game series, and no home court advantage.

Seriously I hate when people pull out the race card, but most people saying that NCAA has more heart means they have more unathletic white guys like Gerry McNamara. Look at guys like Rudy Gay and Rashad McCants, they didn't try in college and they don't really try in the pros, it's not like these guys develop apathy out of nowhere when they play in the pros.

NCAA Football games are longer than NFL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that George Mason team was filled with white guys....

That was better than anything the NBA can come up with, I could care less about any NBA team, but I can get behind a bunch of underdogs having the run of their life. Nothing at all to do with race.

I miss the days of the Bulls/Pistons or Bulls/Knicks or even Knicks/Pacers. Those guys gave a damn. I guess my argument only applies to basketball, I can't really put a foot forward for any other college sport.