Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: KT gets teh road rage - TR

[ QUOTE ]
On I5 in Seattle, the volume of traffic is such that the fast lane really is just the fast lane. It's not a viable passing lane at all. It's more for "those people who are getting off last" than "those people who are going faster" because nobody really is going any faster than anybody else.

I so envy you people and your traffic uptopias of variable speeded freeway lanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

$50 says it's still officially a passing lane. Obviously things change in congested traffic. At 3am though, it's just a passing lane.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

so your answer is somewhere where the traffic is moving so slowly that nobody is passing anybody and traffic isn't really moving at all?

this answer sucks and doesn't change the fact that it's still a passing lane, whether that's what it is being used for or not.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:12 PM

About six months ago I was driving home from work in heavy traffic. I was going North on Western and was the first car at a red light at Beverly. Traffic going East on Beverly was very backed up, and an idiot in an Avalanche had pulled into the intersection and was still blocking it when my light turned green. I pulled forward quickly and honked my horn in displeasure. When his traffic started moving, instead of proceeding straight he took a left and rode my bumper. I tapped my brakes a couple of times to try to get him to back off; instead, he just bumped my car. He pulled into oncoming traffic on my left a few times and finally managed to pull around me and cut me off. He leaped out of his car and tore off his shirt, challenging me to a fight. I opened my window a crack and laughed at him and asked him what his problem was, and he claimed I had attempted to hit his car. I told him I wasn't getting out, so he spat at me and got back into his car.

I didn't call the police because I had two scotches at the office before I went home. I wasn't drunk, but I really didn't think getting the police involved was a great plan for me.

Living in Los Angeles, this episode really made me realize that I can't pull this [censored] anymore. Now when [censored] stuff happens I just smile and hum. It's just not worth it.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Passing lane

The meat:

"A passing lane is often colloquially referred to as a fast lane because it is often used for extended periods of time for thru traffic or fast traffic. In theory, a passing lane should only be used for passing, thus allowing, even on a road with only two lanes in each direction, motorists to travel at their own pace. Good driving practice is to slip out of the passing lane once slower cars have been passed."

Also, to save some of you some time:

col·lo·qui·al
–adjective
1. characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing; informal.
2. involving or using conversation.

—Related forms
col·lo·qui·al·ly, adverb
col·lo·qui·al·ness, col·lo·qui·al·i·ty, noun

—Synonyms 1, 2. Colloquial, conversational, informal refer to types of speech or to usages not on a formal level. Colloquial is often mistakenly used with a connotation of disapproval, as if it meant “vulgar” or “bad” or “incorrect” usage, whereas it is merely a familiar style used in speaking and writing. Conversational refers to a style used in the oral exchange of ideas, opinions, etc.: an easy conversational style. Informal means without formality, without strict attention to set forms, unceremonious: an informal manner of speaking; it describes the ordinary, everyday language of cultivated speakers.
—Antonyms 1. formal.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:18 PM

I'm going to make this short, but it could be its own thread, lol. College, on the way to pick up GF from airport, guy gets me stopped on railroad tracks while a train is coming, his fault (trust me). Follow him to his rental return line, he locks the door while I try to break in the window, cops come, I jump in the car and drive away slowly, pick up GF telling her to get in quick, 3 cop cars fly past me lights/sirens on as I exit the airport. Guy's face was priceless, his wife was crying. Funny stuff.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tapped my brakes a couple of times to try to get him to back off;

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? WHY?! There was a thread in OOT a few months ago about "brake checks" - why in the hell do people do this?!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so your answer is somewhere where the traffic is moving so slowly that nobody is passing anybody and traffic isn't really moving at all?

this answer sucks and doesn't change the fact that it's still a passing lane, whether that's what it is being used for or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you could inform the idiots who think that they should be able to go 70 MPH through force of will when everybody else is going 40, that would be nice then.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM

More meat:

Misuse and common practice

Common Practice and most law on United States Highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake. The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's website on "Keep Right Laws" points out that:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right..."[1]

It is also illegal in many states in the U.S. to use the "far left" or passing lane on a major highway as a travelling lane (as opposed to passing), or to fail to yield to faster moving traffic that is attempting to overtake in that lane. For example, Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states:

A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed-limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor-vehicles that are in a non-passing lane...(emphasis added)[2]

This is for all those assmunches who say "Welll, I'm going the speed limit, so I don't have to move anywhere, Mr. Flashing-me-and-honking-at-me-like-I'm-the-ass-when-in-truth-I-really-am-an-asshat Guy.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tapped my brakes a couple of times to try to get him to back off;

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? WHY?! There was a thread in OOT a few months ago about "brake checks" - why in the hell do people do this?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in reality I guess I was just trying to rile him up. I was basing this plan on an incorrect assumption that he didn't really want to hit my car. When it turned out that bumping my car was A-OK with him, I abandoned that plan.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guy's face was priceless, his wife was crying. Funny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, that is great