Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Troy Williamson docked paycheck to attend grandmother\'s funeral

If it's Adrian Peterson missing a game for the same reason, I doubt the Vikings fine him.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:27 AM

That is just sick.
The Vikings should have handled it differently. They should have cancelled the game for one thing and worried about rescheduling once Troy was able to attend.
Another thing is, they shouldn't dock him any pay just because he missed the game he's supposed to be playing in! Come on, if showing up to work is required to make an agreed upon sum of money, that's not the world I want to live in. They should have paid him his money because he would have played if he could. Why don't they handle all of his expenses too? The Vikings should pick up the tab for everything; airplane tickets, hotels, food, cremation services, etc.
If somebody close to you dies then the whole world should stop and you should be treated extra special, not how the Vikings treated Troy. I can't even write anything else, I'm so disgusted!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the players make so much money as it is, who cares if he misses a paycheck

[/ QUOTE ]

Many players do not make that much money considering how short their careers are. Many players only have a three or four year window where they are making a few million.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is just sick.
The Vikings should have handled it differently. They should have cancelled the game for one thing and worried about rescheduling once Troy was able to attend.
Another thing is, they shouldn't dock him any pay just because he missed the game he's supposed to be playing in! Come on, if showing up to work is required to make an agreed upon sum of money, that's not the world I want to live in. They should have paid him his money because he would have played if he could. Why don't they handle all of his expenses too? The Vikings should pick up the tab for everything; airplane tickets, hotels, food, cremation services, etc.
If somebody close to you dies then the whole world should stop and you should be treated extra special, not how the Vikings treated Troy. I can't even write anything else, I'm so disgusted!

[/ QUOTE ]

Either:

a) This is a level.
b) You don't understand things, or
c) You have no soul.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM

"They should have cancelled the game for one thing and worried about rescheduling once Troy was able to attend. "

This is ridiculous.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is just sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this isn't a level, then you, sir, are retarded.

Any "normal" job in this country gives its employees vacation time, and especially paid bereavement leave in most. The guy is asking for one week to go to the funeral of the woman who raised him. If you really believe what you just wrote, you are one cold sumbitch.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:54 PM

NFL player is not in any way a "normal" job.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously. I'm just saying, these guys are normal human beings who happen to have extraordinary athletic talent.

Let's look at it this way. If this was Childress's call, do you think he's going to give up his own game check because his mom died and he had to go to the funeral?

Just because this isn't a "normal" job doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same opportunities to be normal humans when something more important than some game happens.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously. I'm just saying, these guys are normal human beings who happen to have extraordinary athletic talent.

Let's look at it this way. If this was Childress's call, do you think he's going to give up his own game check because his mom died and he had to go to the funeral?

Just because this isn't a "normal" job doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same opportunities to be normal humans when something more important than some game happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatta joke. They most certainly have the the same opportunities. In fact, they have a helluva lot more opportunities than the 'normal' person.

They can be normal human beings when something more important than the game happens. It's called life, no matter what your occupation. Some things in life have consequences. And no, they certainly don't have 'normal' jobs.

As far as I'm concerned, these players are contractors. They signed a contract. Bereavement pay wasn't in the contract. So you suck it up. Why is it that they pay their agents to handle their contracts?

Childress may not have made an issue out of it and just went to the funeral, accepted the consequential loss of income and not said anything about it. Why isn't that an option?

b
Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is just sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

This is great.

b