Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Re: 4 bet semi bluff vs. Esfandiari

If he claims JJ I show the J and laugh at how I got him off a split.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:48 AM

I don't like Esfandiari's play here. He shouldn't reraise here with any hand he intends to fold to a push from Ansky. He is almost getting odds to call with average hands like 75s and Q8o, given the fact the Ansky may push without a premium hand.

This reinforces my impression of Esfandiari's play, that he is good with people, situations, and reads, but not with odds.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like Esfandiari's play here. He shouldn't reraise here with any hand he intends to fold to a push from Ansky. He is almost getting odds to call with average hands like 75s and Q8o, given the fact the Ansky may push without a premium hand.

This reinforces my impression of Esfandiari's play, that he is good with people, situations, and reads, but not with odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's very much NOT getting odds to call with 75s or Q8, even if he assumes a fairly loose shoving range of like 66+ and any broadway and most aces he's clearly not getting the right odds. Against that range he needs any pair A8+ KJ+ or so to call. I dont see how Antonio can put him on worse than that range if he hasnt rereraised before.

Seems like a good shove to me given your image, I doubt he's always value raising here since he has position on you and knows you will fairly likely to bet air postflop throughout the hand, whereas he knows you can fold pre to shown strength. Not saying he will flat call with a good hand necessarily, but I def think he would have a percentage mixed in of flat calling his very strong hands along with his medium strength hands. As others have said he's probably not value raising with a marginal hand and does not want to set up a marginal decision, If he feels like doing this play at this time I think it's more likely he doesnt have a big hand then he does, and he's folding his non big hands to a shove, so I think you have more than enough fold equity here. Heavily doubt he actually folded Jacks there with those odds against you, likely just posturing cause he wants you to think you can push him off a hand(Im capt. Obvious today) so he can setup a trap later.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's very much NOT getting odds to call with 75s or Q8, even if he assumes a fairly loose shoving range of like 66+ and any broadway and most aces he's clearly not getting the right odds. Against that range he needs any pair A8+ KJ+ or so to call. I dont see how Antonio can put him on worse than that range if he hasnt rereraised before.

Seems like a good shove to me given your image, I doubt he's always value raising here since he has position on you and knows you will fairly likely to bet air postflop throughout the hand, whereas he knows you can fold pre to shown strength. Not saying he will flat call with a good hand necessarily, but I def think he would have a percentage mixed in of flat calling his very strong hands along with his medium strength hands. As others have said he's probably not value raising with a marginal hand and does not want to set up a marginal decision, If he feels like doing this play at this time I think it's more likely he doesnt have a big hand then he does, and he's folding his non big hands to a shove, so I think you have more than enough fold equity here. Heavily doubt he actually folded Jacks there with those odds against you, likely just posturing cause he wants you to think you can push him off a hand(Im capt. Obvious today) so he can setup a trap later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Iagree he is not getting odds to call with average hands like 75s or Q8o, but it is close. That is why I don't like the idea of Esfandiari reraising with a hand he can't call a push from Ansky with. I don't think the stack sizes are right for a loose reraise, so I don't think Esfandiari's approach of playing sheriff was good.