Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: NCAAF Rank\' Em (approaching Week 13)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Oklahoma has beaten Mizzou. Besides that, they fail to impress me, even healthy. Kansas hasn't done anything to truly impress me yet, but they haven't done anything poorly either. Oklahoma had a three week stretch of looking downright mediocre without the injuries. Then they lose to Texas Tech (albeit injured).

Missouri has been consistent all year, as has Kansas. Even a healthy Oklahoma team should be at most a 4 point favorite against either of those teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I've had this helmet as my avatar since our helmets were navy blue, so I've got some heavy bias, but Kansas hasn't done anything to impress you? What does it take?

[/ QUOTE ] Beat a good team. I'm not going on a limb and saying this is a great team until then. I certainly think the evidence this far ONLY points towards them being very good, however, they haven't really been tested.

[ QUOTE ]

In 11 games we haven't had one single performance that wasn't what you would expect from a top team. Off the top of my head Missouri is the only other team you can begin to say that about, and their claim isn't nearly as good as ours. I'm sure there are others I'm missing, but not many.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Just because you can't discount a team doesn't mean that they have earned it. It will work itself out. Beat Mizzou and you will put the doubt I have in my mind (I only have doubt, not saying they aren't great, but they might not be).
Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM

TC, that's fair. I guess I just have a chip on my shoulder due to the people who say we're a sham due to our schedule. It's really unusual for a team to blow out every bad team, and beat every good team. Your perspective is reasonable though.

Hopefully we can take care of business against a *gag* great team.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TC, that's fair. I guess I just have a chip on my shoulder due to the people who say we're a sham due to our schedule. It's really unusual for a team to blow out every bad team, and beat every good team. Your perspective is reasonable though.

Hopefully we can take care of business against a *gag* great team.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't blow out Texas A&M, which many would consider a bad team. I certainly do. 19-14 over Colorado is hardly a blowout as well. Giving up 39 to Nebraska is a bit concerning too.

But Kansas definitely is my #1 team at this point, their slips are far more minor than every other team I've seen, and they aren't squeaking by the teams they are supposed to kill.

I'd be a little worried about Missouri, especially looking at how you two have played against common opponents. Even if Kansas loses but plays fairly close, I would consider them a pretty good team. A bad loss would erase that from my rankings.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM

Missouri's resume, IMO, is better than Kansas's. Look at common opponents. Look at SOS. Look at talent.

In my mind, if Kansas beats Missouri this weekend, Kansas will have proven they won 1 good game. Beat OU in the B12 title game, then I'll feel fine about Kansas.

Kansas STILL has the worst SOS of any BCS conference team (#101 now).
Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This week's BCS standings. Took them long enough:

I don't see ASU jumping tOSU. The gap between them is pretty big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, how can you read that? you must have cybernetic eye implants.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Missouri's resume, IMO, is better than Kansas's. Look at common opponents. Look at SOS. Look at talent.

In my mind, if Kansas beats Missouri this weekend, Kansas will have proven they won 1 good game. Beat OU in the B12 title game, then I'll feel fine about Kansas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pirateboy, put aside the bias for a minute, come on. If it were true that you've performed better given victory margins and opponents you wouldn't be 12th in Sagarin's predictor.

Also, your understanding of SoS is very poor. M2TR's blog can help you out.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In an attempt to avoid a potential headache at the end of the regular season, the commissioners of the six BCS football conferences have voted to expand the pool of BCS at-large candidates from 14 to 18.

The new rule goes into effect only if there aren't enough teams among the top 14 of the final BCS standings to fill 10 slots in the BCS National Championship Game, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Rose Bowl.

The new rule was approved by commissioners for the 2007 season and will be announced by the BCS on Tuesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN article
Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pirateboy, put aside the bias for a minute, come on. If it were true that you've performed better given victory margins and opponents you wouldn't be 12th in Sagarin's predictor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you keep referring to Missouri as "you." I have no bias. I'm not a Missouri fan, nor a Kansas fan. I'm a Tennessee fan who lives for all of college football. I have no dog in this fight. I have a wager on Missouri, and I've done a ton of research on this game.

You've admitted you have tons of bias. TONS. If Kansas played Missouri's schedule, Kansas would be 9-2 or 10-1. Illinois and Oklahoma are both infinitely better than anybody Kansas has beaten thus far.

Anyway, I think Kansas is a good team. I think they're overrated. I understand SOS. I understand Sagarin. I don't worship the predictor like most, because I tracked every single game last year using the Sagarin predictor, and ATS it was worse than 50%. It's a good tool, but don't put too much emphasis on it.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And it is true that Missouri has beaten common opponents better than Kansas has.

Colorado - Kansas by 5, Missouri by 45
Kansas State - Kansas by 6, Missouri by 17
TAMU - Kansas by 8, Missouri by 14
Nebraska - Kansas by 37, Missouri by 35
Iowa State - Kansas by 38, Missouri by 14

So, overall, Missouri has a 31 point edge over Kansas in their 5 common games. That's a 6 point edge.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:12 PM

Oh, my SOS numbers are Sagarin's SOS.