1 9 37.50%
2 11 45.83%
3 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Top Chef Finale

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GO HUNG.

This show is doing something right, because all 3 seasons I've been as excited about the end announcement has I have for any non-sporting TV.

Thoughts

- I thought it was pretty obvious once the tasting was over that Hung was going to win. Once Tom trashed Dale's dish, it was over. Nice editing to make it seem closer than I imagine it was.

- Poor Casey, her best dish being totally Howie. It really shouldn't have shocked her that boiling points and such would have been weird. They knew this was happening in Aspen.

- Hung probably played this the smartest of all seasons. He played it safe in spots where he knew he could. I think the cake was a great choice. He knows he's not going to lose it on the extra dish (and he was prepared for this) if he does it right.

- did Dale take credit for CJ's dish?

- I thought the celeb sous chef was cute, not sure what it really accomplished beyond oddly propping Rocco up on a platform next to two people who (reputation and successwife) really outclass him.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- did Dale take credit for CJ's dish?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said "it was 100% a 50/50 collaboration." I laughed.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- I thought the celeb sous chef was cute, not sure what it really accomplished beyond oddly propping Rocco up on a platform next to two people who (reputation and successwife) really outclass him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't understand the celebrity sous chef thing at all. If they weren't allowed to give any input into the dishes, what's the point? They might as well have had random line cooks from Applebees. How hard is it to chop parsley? But I guess those celebrity chefs need to get their faces on TV any way they can to sell books and whatever.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 AM

Ron,

I think part of it is that in the past they've had sous who have at least had the potential to [censored] things up for the contestants.

You can bitch if you get stuck with drunk Stephen and Dave. You can't bitch so much if you get Todd English.

Beyond that, it's hard to see any reasoning beyond beyond "lol it's cute" and what you say about face time.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 AM

Well, the celebrity sous chefs were judges also - so I thought that was kind of a cool twist. Rocco has sort of grown on me (his blog is pretty good also).

[ QUOTE ]

He said "it was 100% a 50/50 collaboration." I laughed.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol oh Dale, I am not a fan. It did really seem like the dish was mainly CJ's from an execution standpoint (and maybe even in conceptualization, e.g. the grape comment). Felt like the 50/50 was a lie, although Dale did make a great choice in going scallop.

His lamb poached in duck fat is the dish I'd most want to try - not clear on how that's a good 4th course, but looked ridiculously tasty.

-Al
Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 AM

Oh also:

[ QUOTE ]
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GO HUNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al
Old 10-04-2007, 02:58 AM

Rocco's blog is pretty solid. (and I think makes my point that it wasn't really close that Hung was going to win). He trying to hard as a writer, but he's got decent stuff to say.

How out of place did Malarky sound at that table. Maybe it's just my contempt for the guy, but he seemed just painfully out of place.

I'm really interested in Hung's duck. I find that I don't like Duck much because typically it's "correct" to cook it so rare that I really don't like it (I like a lot of rare meat, but not duck) and that looked very different.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 AM

The more I think about this the more it bothers me: did the chefs know the outcome before going into this live announcement of the winner, or were they really left hanging for several months. The way Hung came out cheering made me think he knew he had won.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 AM

Yeah, Hung looked like a guy who might've known he'd won, but then again, he's always kinda excitable like that.

I know that Survivor does the whole final decision thing months later, so Top Chef not letting them know until last night is a possibility. Does anyone know how long ago the Aspen stuff was taped? It was after a break from the taping of the other stuff, but it could have been anywhere from early this year to later this summer, as far as I know.

Anyways, I guess they could've let them know the winner and then decided "o man a live show would be great" and forced them to act, but I've got no idea.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Hung looked like a guy who might've known he'd won, but then again, he's always kinda excitable like that.

I know that Survivor does the whole final decision thing months later, so Top Chef not letting them know until last night is a possibility. Does anyone know how long ago the Aspen stuff was taped? It was after a break from the taping of the other stuff, but it could have been anywhere from early this year to later this summer, as far as I know.

Anyways, I guess they could've let them know the winner and then decided "o man a live show would be great" and forced them to act, but I've got no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet it was taped pretty recently, considering that Casey mentioned reading the blogs and also the lack of snow on the mountains in Aspen.