Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Re: I need a little life advice right now.

What are your parents thoughts on this? what do they think of poker and do they understand your bankroll, the amount of money you put in play on a daily basis,etc?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 PM

Take as few courses as you need to maintain your visa and good standing with the university and see how the rest of this quarter plays out (is it too late now to drop your courses without penalty?). If you prefer the new life to your old one keep doing it. If you start to realize that the increased freetime is going to watching reruns of sportscenter, then start taking a few more classes.

One question, if you take the minimal load this quarter can you still graduate in 4 due to AP units?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would take a prop bet that I could get B's or better in 3 college courses this semester.
Keep in mind:
-I work a full time job
-Am getting married in 3 weeks
-Will be out of the country for 3 weeks
-Play poker 20+ hours a week
-watch 8+ hours of football every Sunday

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, but you're forgetting how much time an undergrad devotes to drinking.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 PM

Ok Ansky, I'm going to be very straight forward.

[censored] these guys saying stay in school. Wanna know why?

I HAVE a college degree. I can't make ANYWHERE REMOTELY CLOSE in a real job, as I can even multi-tabling NL100. Take the year off. Party your ass off. Travel. Make 250K. It'll be the best decision you ever make.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:04 PM

if ur major involves electives, take all the easy electives and get those out of the way. I'm a business major with 2 electives this year, both intro music courses in which I haven't done anything and still do well in. There must be some other bird courses at your school (If you have a viticulture section there should be a wine tasting course and all that other crap)
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 PM

Brian, the problem with your analysis is that he can stay in school and still party his ass off, travel, and make 250k. It also assumes that all people and all college degrees are the same, and the only EV of having a degree is immediate earnings.

Put simply, there is just no reason to be a college dropout. Ansky can do both.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:16 PM

hes not dropping out dude, he (was) talking about taking a semester off, which doesn't even appear viable at this point anyway, so all this discussion is just for fun.

ansky, drop a few annoying classes to get down to 12 credits or whatever the min. for a fulltime student is, do the same for next semester if online poker is still going strong in the US at that point, make lots of money, then go back to regular school. seems to be the happy medium. if at all possible, choose classes where they don't take attendance and where your only grades are your exams.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM

Ansky I think if you married me your VISA problems would be solved?
Honestly If I were in your position, I would be focussing more on poker and travelling than on school. Maybe that's just because I have no idea what I want to pursue education or career wise. I'm just a lost arts freshman.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM

ummm...

Lets be real here guys...

I never had more time in my life than when i went to college. Last time i checked poker is played around the clock. Are you saying you couldnt take care of 12 credits or so by taking class seriously for a lousy 2-4 hours a day?
cmon... you know very well you could attend your classes, get decent grades.. and STILL play poker all frigin night long... 6 8 12 hours without an issue.

10 years from now you will wish you had teh tiem you do now, while in college.

I see absolutely no benefit to dropping out, you can play poker all nite if you want. This really doesnt sound like a decision at all, it sounds like you want an excuse to leave school.. No one likes class, no one likes work.. Suck it up man, this is the easy part. Let poker run its course, you cant depend on a game which is so volatile and potentially completely out of our hands.

Stay in school, take it seriously, take your prospective career outside of poker seriously. Poker cannot be depended on for the next 25 years.. your degree and career should be

The socially irresponsible thing would be to do anything else...

mike
Old 10-04-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay in school, take it seriously, take your prospective career outside of poker seriously. Online poker cannot be depended on for the next 25 years.. your degree and career should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm, I'm not sure where you think poker is going. It's not like it's only been around for the past 3 years during this big boom. It was around before the internet and it will be around after.

Take a semester off Ansky, play poker, and enjoy it. I've been playing full time now for 9 months and have never been happier.