Yes, definitely 47 31.97%
No, they deserve your sentiments 61 41.50%
Not sure 39 26.53%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Strange Question for ACists and libertarians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO the military has always been used with the intent of protecting our freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain to me how the freedom of Americans were protected in the Vietnam war? Or the Iraq war? Or the war of Southern independence?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read what I said, they were all clearly with the INTENT of protecting our freedom. Whether or not that was the ultimate result of the first two you listed, or even if the domino theories they were predicated on were correct or not, doesnt change the intent. If you really are asking with regard to the Civil War I don't have patience to play pointless games this morning.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And how are you defining freedom? I ask because the traditional definitions make your statement obviously false.

[/ QUOTE ]

the traditional political definitions are just fine and they are fully consistent with my statement.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you read what I said, they were all clearly with the INTENT of protecting our freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whose intent was this, exactly? LOL.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO the military has always been used with the intent of protecting our freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like being free of those pesky Indians so we can steal all their land and resources for ourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you need a history lesson, or a broadening of your perspective. With the possible exception of the Northwest Territory all of the major conflicts with Indian tribes were either the Indians siding with the British against the colonies, or civil war amongst the different tribes when they branched out into aggressive attacks by one tribe against settlers who legally purchased their land from the other. They were no less a fight for freedom then the Revolution.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like being free of those pesky Indians so we can steal all their land and resources for ourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you need a history lesson, or a broadening of your perspective. With the possible exception of the Northwest Territory all of the major conflicts with Indian tribes were either the Indians siding with the British against the colonies, or civil war amongst the different tribes when they branched out into aggressive attacks by one tribe against settlers who legally purchased their land from the other. They were no less a fight for freedom then the Revolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 08-12-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never seen this flag, have you?

Old 08-12-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Deleted

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just making this up. I've lived in the South my whole life and you have to work damned hard to find a restaurant like this. Ignoring the very old, I've heard more racism from northerns in my life than southerners, which is damned hard considering I live in the South! Furthermore, statitics such as proportion of blacks in prison and such, demonstrate that northerners are much more racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

What statistics what proof. I have my personal experiences just because you one intellegent person lives in the south does not change their opinions on a whole
Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Deleted

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just making this up. I've lived in the South my whole life and you have to work damned hard to find a restaurant like this. Ignoring the very old, I've heard more racism from northerns in my life than southerners, which is damned hard considering I live in the South! Furthermore, statitics such as proportion of blacks in prison and such, demonstrate that northerners are much more racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

What statistics what proof. I have my personal experiences just because you one intellegent person lives in the south does not change their opinions on a whole

[/ QUOTE ]

First link I found. I'm sure there are better ones.

http://www.rasmusen.org/x/2005/11/29...ison-by-state/
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And how are you defining freedom? I ask because the traditional definitions make your statement obviously false.

[/ QUOTE ]

the traditional political definitions are just fine and they are fully consistent with my statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Would you submit, then, to a quick test of your statement, in three parts?

Beginner: The current Iraq War -- please keep in mind that security is not a synonym for freedom.

Intermediate: The Spanish-American War.

Expert: The Phillipine-American War. Truly, it would take a master sophist to explain how McKinnley's attempt to Christianize the (Catholic) Phillipinos was part of an effort to protect American freedom.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Var,

[ QUOTE ]
please keep in mind that security is not a synonym for freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any connection between the two, is there any reason to assume that freedom needs security (or protection).

Cody