Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: *Red Sox thread* News, views, and love for the front office

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm asking, how do you know when the critical situation is going to occur?

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point in the 7th, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of a more critical situation not coming up.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point in the 7th? When exactly? Not at the start of the inning. Not after he breezed through the first 2 hitters, not then surely. After he misplayed the dribbler? That looked pretty innocent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a pretty good time. (I was screaming for Pap to start warming up at exactly this moment -- there are witnesses.) If Pauley gets Damon out, great -- then you use Papelbon against Giambi and A-Rod for the 7th.

I agree that you can't do this all the time, but when it's a game against a division contender and the bullpen is ailing, I absolutely do not want to see Rudy Seanez pitching against Giambi, with or without baserunners.

And for that matter, Rivera should have been pitching to start the 8th with Ortiz and Manny due up. You may not be able to predict when exactly guys will get on base, but the lineup is fixed, and you want your best relievers pitching against the other team's best batters.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 PM

I'll say this again. That's managing like it's a one game season. There are over 100 games left. This is not game 2 of the ALCS, it's game 2 of a 4 game series in early June.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll say this again. That's managing like it's a one game season. There are over 100 games left. This is not game 2 of the ALCS, it's game 2 of a 4 game series in early June.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what's wrong with that? In each of the scenarios I mentioned, Pap and Rivera pitch to 3-5 batters tops. Instead, Seanez gave up the GW walk and Pap never got into the game. On the other side, Farnsworth almost gave up the game-tying homer.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM

Because in August when Paplebom's arm is falling off and he's no longer effective everyone will be pisssed off at Francona for burning him out.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. No one is saying to let Papelbon finish the 7th, then pitch the 8th, 9th, and 10th innings. How does having Papelbon finishing the 7th and pitching the 8th inning of a tie game compromise Boston's chances later in the season? If the guy's going to throw 80 innings this season, I would just like to see more of them come in important situations.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because in August when Paplebom's arm is falling off and he's no longer effective everyone will be pisssed off at Francona for burning him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

So shave off a few 9th innings when the Sox have a 2- or 3-run lead with the bottom of the order coming up. And it's not like I was calling for Pap to finish last night's game.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. No one is saying to let Papelbon finish the 7th, then pitch the 8th, 9th, and 10th innings. How does having Papelbon finishing the 7th and pitching the 8th inning of a tie game compromise Boston's chances later in the season? If the guy's going to throw 80 innings this season, I would just like to see more of them come in important situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, no one is telling me exactly when in the 7th they get Paplebom up to warm up. And why? Because there is no logical time to get him up in time unless you want to get him up unnecessarily.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, no one is telling me exactly when in the 7th they get Paplebom up to warm up. And why? Because there is no logical time to get him up in time unless you want to get him up unnecessarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I did. After Pauley committed the error, with Giambi and A-Rod coming up after a couple batters. Before that would have OK as well, given that Pauley wasn't likely to pitch the 7th.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM

As I stated before, he had thrown ten pitches in June, so it was getting to the point where they'd throw him a garbage inning anyway. If you get him up after the Damon single, he'd have plenty of time to get ready when Pauley was walking Cabrera. If Cabrera is retired, let Papelbon pitch the 8th. If Cabrera knocks in the run, no big deal, as Papelbon probably won't get used anyway.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Get him up when there are runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. He hadn't pitched since June 2, if he gets up and then Pauley lucks into an inning ending double play then whatever getting him up once isn't the end of the world. No one is saying get up him every game, but this is a spot where the difference between having Papelbon in and having Seanz in is huge.