Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: **Official uNL Microbrew thread: August PT 2**

It all depends on table conditions. When I made that vid, I had been playing 200NL and at the same time taking shots at 400NL.

That is a rough enviroment, and if you just play straightfoward you'll get eaten alive, unless you table select very well. (also, there the question of isolating the fish and getting to them before the rest of the regs, but that is a different subject)

Basically the premise as I see it is, that if you run very tight, you have to compensate with aggression, you are not involved in a lot of pots, so once you are in, you can't let 'em run over you. (and since you miss a lot of flops even when you are tight, playing with high bluffing (2nd barreling etc) frequencies becomes something to consider.

That is the way I see a nitty 18something game. Nitty preflop, but not postflop is the key.

Now if you instead sit at something very fishy like ipoker 20NL, then you'll play villians that suck beyond belief, I would be surprised if you can reach a 10ptbb winrate playing a range of 22+ and AQ+ and only cbetting HU and not 3betting anything but QQ+ (or KK+ for that matter)

But at some point you need to start protecting yourself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is all table conditions, the 3betting thing is also something to be wary off ... if they fold then great, but be carefull oop if they are calling a lot, since it can easily get akward.

I am still proud of my vid, but keep in mind that at the time I had only played cash for less than a month, so it is not flawless in any way (Still think the implied odds and bluffing frequencies talks are very good) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gelford,

I have been practising a pretty nitty 18/15 style lately that doesn't involve a lot of 3betting with air and other aggro stuff that you demonstrated in your video.

Basically, I save a lot of money by not cbetting every flop and generally folding to aggression and thus my wins with good hands aren't offset as much by the losses if I miss.

Thoughts?

(FWIW when I watched Nielsio's latest video I felt right at home.)

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to the good side
Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

welcome to the good side

[/ QUOTE ]

So hows SSNL coming along Jonyy ??
Old 08-22-2007, 07:30 PM

PSA: For anybody that's moving up to NL100

I think one of the biggest things I'm noticing is that there are people who will constantly call your raises if you're the CO and they're the BTN. People are much more positionally aware and play better postflop.

What I'm trying to say is, if you plan on raising, have a plan for the hand before the flop, not after it.

Also, don't play in a vacuum. Don't say to yourself "oh this is in my range, I have to raise it." Probably some of the most robotic talk I've ever heard. Don't be static, BE DYNAMIC.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:34 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
i vote sunny mehta should never have a sticky. their extremely long username is tearing up the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....sorry bud....I used to just be "coltrane", but had to change it to my real name once I wrote the book for 2p2 (and me being sentimental I didn't want to drop the old school user name)....although, maybe I should've just been on the cover of PNL as "coltrane"..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be static, BE DYNAMIC.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make me proud [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

welcome to the good side

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only played about 8.5k hands NL100 this month, 4.25pt/100 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

had to make a big cashout for school and now I'm actually playing with an aggressive bankroll (nl100 at 2k, nl50 if down to 1.5k)

EDIT: Lol I'm down over 16k hands of NL50 this month b/c of tilt
Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i vote sunny mehta should never have a sticky. their extremely long username is tearing up the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....sorry bud....I used to just be "coltrane", but had to change it to my real name once I wrote the book for 2p2 (and me being sentimental I didn't want to drop the old school user name)....although, maybe I should've just been on the cover of PNL as "coltrane"..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you play like him ? (and will there be a tribute record from you too like Pat Martino's Think Tank ?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only played about 8.5k hands NL100 this month, 4.25pt/100 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

had to make a big cashout for school and now I'm actually playing with an aggressive bankroll (nl100 at 2k, nl50 if down to 1.5k)

EDIT: Lol I'm down over 16k hands of NL50 this month b/c of tilt

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds alright to me !
Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you play like him ? (and will there be a tribute record from you too like Pat Martino's Think Tank ?

[/ QUOTE ]

or John McLaughlin's "After The Rain"..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread