Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Chris Benoit and Wife found dead

WWE is only Benoit's employers, they are not detectives and have no business speculating. This is disgusting to me.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 PM

MP,

"If you know a dude at work who is friendly all the time, but you don't know him too well and he ends up murdering his family, aren't you going to be a little shocked and say things like, "I'd never suspect so and so to do that"?"

I think we're mainly on the same page now, but wrt that specific part I just don't think there's much parallel at all between a co-worker or neighbor that you interact with all the time and a celebrity who you just hear about.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4sp,

"There are various "insider" wrestling websites that go about reporting about the business of wrestling and the behind the scenes but they all walk a very fine line about what 'should' be reported."

That's basically my point. That's not at all how people earlier in the thread were treating those sites. Instead, they were using those sites as the basis for their opinions on what sort of person Benoit was and whether or not he did things like use steroids. Using those sites to make those types of judgements doesn't seem very reasonable based on the info now being reported. That's all I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. We have people claiming those sites are reliable, and then backing off implying it wasn't their fault they were so wilfully gullible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this directed at me?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we're mainly on the same page now, but wrt that specific part I just don't think there's much parallel at all between a co-worker or neighbor that you interact with all the time and a celebrity who you just hear about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what about a friend of a friend that you hear about a lot? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how one could be at fault for believing that someone was a "good person" when one has heard no evidence to the contrary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without any evidence, why have any opinion in the first place?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4sp,

"There are various "insider" wrestling websites that go about reporting about the business of wrestling and the behind the scenes but they all walk a very fine line about what 'should' be reported."

That's basically my point. That's not at all how people earlier in the thread were treating those sites. Instead, they were using those sites as the basis for their opinions on what sort of person Benoit was and whether or not he did things like use steroids. Using those sites to make those types of judgements doesn't seem very reasonable based on the info now being reported. That's all I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. We have people claiming those sites are reliable, and then backing off implying it wasn't their fault they were so wilfully gullible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this directed at me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at anyone specifically, but it fits an awful lot of the responses in this thread.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WWE is only Benoit's employers, they are not detectives and have no business speculating. This is disgusting to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

WWE is in panic mode obv but WTF that was just awful.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4sp,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this directed at me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at anyone specifically, but it fits an awful lot of the responses in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. I didnt think it fits me because I was just responding to someone asking about those "insider" websites when I linked them. Someone else was quoting them in the first place.

I dont rely on those site for anything except results of the shows that I dont see on TV. My exact words were "fairly reliable,if a bit biased in wrestling's favor." Not exactly a endorsement. My main sources of info have been the local Atlanta news stations, their websites, ajc.com, and ESPN.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how one could be at fault for believing that someone was a "good person" when one has heard no evidence to the contrary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without any evidence, why have any opinion in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said no evidence to the contrary. Prior to this event, I had heard many good things about Chris Benoit.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4sp,

These are def some slimy mofos, that's for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's one thing for a writer and friend to try to make sense of something. It's another for a company to use that idea to shield themselves from the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vince McMahon always been like this. They are slimy mofos indeed. Ask Bret Hart what he thinks of the way they handled Owen Hart's death.