Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

BUF > NYR in 4
OTT > NJD in 6

ANA > VAN in 5
SJS > DET in 5
Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 AM

how many defencemen on the rangers can you name?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Malik, because he scored in a shootout.

Pock, but don't even know if he's still on the team.

Mara, traded from bruins.

.... That's it.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Next round:

Buffalo vs. NYR -- Buffalo in 7
Ottawa vs. NJ -- Ottawa in 6

Vancouver vs. Anaheim -- Anaheim in 5
Detroit vs. SJ -- SJ in 6

It wouldn't surprise me to see the NYR win their series against Buffalo...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I've thought Buffalo has been overrated all year, and they series against a brutal Islanders team was closer than the 4-1 win would indicate. I think Ottawa should take the Devils, they're similar to the Lightning but way deeper, better goaltending, and better defence.

In the West I like San Jose over Detroit, and Anaheim/Vancouver going 7 (yeah I'm a homer). At gunshot I'll go with Anaheim, but I think Vancouver has a real shot at winning:

Rangers over Sabres in 6
Senators over Devils in 6

Sharks over Red Wings in 6
Ducks over Canucks in 7
Old 04-24-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo over New York Islanders in 5
New Jersey over Tampa Bay in 5
Atlanta over Rangers in 6
Ottawa over Pittsburgh in 7

Detroit over Calgary in 6
Anaheim over Minnesota in 5
Vancouver over Dallas in 6
San Jose over Nahville in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you Atlanta! You kept me from being perfect on picking the winners. I hit 3 series right on.

Here's my next picks...

Rangers in 7
Ottawa in 6

Sharks in 6
Ducks in 5
Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anaheim/Vancouver going 7 (yeah I'm a homer). At gunshot I'll go with Anaheim, but I think Vancouver has a real shot at winning:

[/ QUOTE ]

If they play like the did against Dallas, they have no shot at all. That offensive output is not going to be close to enough against the Ducks.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they play like the did against Dallas, they have no shot at all. That offensive output is not going to be close to enough against the Ducks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Canucks match up slightly better against the Ducks, I don't think they're as committed to a rigid defensive system as the Stars, and I think they're younger, so for these reasons and others I think goals will be a little easier to come by. I doubt the Ducks can beat Luongo in 5 like some are predicting, he always seems capable of stealing 1 or 2 at least. Playing Dallas was like fighting a mirror, they're almost the exact same teams, so it was a frustrating battle.

I think the Canucks matcu up better against the Ducks than Sharks, and that this will be a 6 or 7 games series. But like I said, I'm a homer.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 AM

7/8 in my first round predictions.

[ QUOTE ]
1 Buffalo vs 8 New York Islanders
- Buffalo in 4. Their offense is just to strong, they're a much faster team, and Dubielewicz replacing injured DiPietro for the Isles kills them.

[/ QUOTE ]
A-. No sweep, but that's mostly because DiPietro came back earlier than expected and was able to steal one game for them.

[ QUOTE ]
2 New Jersey vs 7 Tampa Bay
-Tampa in 7. Upset special here. A lot of people are writing off Tampa in this one, but Tampa went 3-1 vs. the Devils in the regular season. Holmqvist can play really well if he gets going, and Tampa's offense can overcome the Devils D and Brodeur.

[/ QUOTE ]
D. The only series I missed. Tampa relied to heavily on its "big three", and when they started struggling (aka when Brodeur got it going in game 5 and 6) there was no support offensively behind them. I though Holmqvist played well enough for them(besides game 1) to win this series though. If Tampa wins game 4 in OT instead of the Devils, I think Tampa goes on to win the series.

[ QUOTE ]
3 Atlanta vs 6 New York Rangers
-New York in 6. They got it going towards the end of the regular season, and I think Jagr is going to have a monster series. Atlanta's inexperience will hurt them too. Seems like whenever a team makes the playoffs for the first time it's one-and-out.

[/ QUOTE ]
A-. Jagr had a big series and Atlanta's playoff inexperience hurt them, just like I predicted. However, I thought Atlanta would put up more of a fight.

[ QUOTE ]
4 Ottawa vs 5 Pittsburgh
- Ottawa in 6. I'd like to pick to pick the Pens, but Ottawa experience should give them an edge here.

[/ QUOTE ]
A-. The Pens will be back next year and they should be a force in the playoffs for years to come.

[ QUOTE ]
1 Detroit vs 8 Calgary
- Detroit in 5. Lot of people are thinking this will be a close series, but I think Detroit will take care of business quickly in this one. They'll win both at home to start, split games in Calgary and win game 5.

[/ QUOTE ]
A-. Calgary was able to win both games at home, instead of the split I predicted, but they lost their cool on game 5, and that was that. Can't take to many penalties vs. the Wings or you'll get punished.

[ QUOTE ]
2 Anaheim vs 7 Minnesota
-Anaheim in 7. They split the regular season matchups. Anaheim's D (Niedermayer, Pronger, etc.) and home-ice advantage gives them the edge here.

[/ QUOTE ]
B-. Right team, but I thought this series would be a lot closer.

[ QUOTE ]
3 Vancouver vs 6 Dallas
-Vancouver in 6. Loungo playoff debut and Naslund. Nuff' said.

[/ QUOTE ]
A-. Vancouver should've won it in 5 or 6. They finally came through at home thouhh tonight to clinch it.

[ QUOTE ]
4 Nashville vs 5 San Jose
- Sharks in 6. This will be a tough series. Forsberg always picks it up in the playoffs and as long as he doesn't get hurt he'll be a big factor, but I'll have to give the edge to the Sharks because they have two very good scoring lines, (Thornton's and Marleau's).

[/ QUOTE ]
A+. A very tough, physical series, just like a thought. I predicted Nashville to win two though, but close enough.

I'll make my predictions for the conference semis tommorow after I looked at the matchups a little more closely.

PS. I'm a Tampa Bay Lightning fan, hence I think I didn't objectively predict that series [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Oh well, next season.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Malik, because he scored in a shootout.

Pock, but don't even know if he's still on the team.

Mara, traded from bruins.

.... That's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised you didn't name their two best: Roszival and Rachunek (sp?).
Old 04-24-2007, 02:17 AM

i was 7/8 - not hard when all the favorites come through, and everyone else's favorite (the rangers) won as well.

next round:

1 Buffalo vs. 6 New York Rangers - Buffalo in 6 - yeah they're not playing great and I think they may be bounced by the Senators, but Buffalo just has too many weapons. While you can't name the Rangers defense, Carolina wasn't exactly filled with past and future Norris winners either.

2 New Jersey vs 4 Ottawa - Ottawa in 6 - Ottawa's got to close this thing out in 6 'cause I don't see the Devils losing a Game 7 on their own ice. Still, Ottawa's like Tampa with a goalie and defense.

WEST

1 Detroit vs. 5 San Jose - San Jose in 7 - picking the upset here, while Detroit was dominant against Calgary, Calgary seems to have issues that San Jose simply doesn't.

2 Anaheim vs. 3 Vancouver - Anaheim in 5 - Vancouver just cannot score goals. They're not going to get 8 million power plays against Anaheim, and Anaheim is just too strong defensively and offensively.