Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Prs to be making me less broke? Financial Follies

[ QUOTE ]
In the meantime, though, it would help to have a job. Not a permanent lifestyle or anything. Just a friggin' job. That's all. No more drama than that.

How happy or deeply fulfilled a person is for just a few months is pretty trivial stuff, taken in any kind of perspective. People do harder things than taking a sucky job for a few months all the time. It hardly spells accepting the obliteration of one's soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, every morning this week, I get up, check Craigslist for every tutoring job in Atlanta that it looks like I'm reasonably qualified for (there's usually two or three) and apply for them. By the time I get there (next week), one or two may have actually gotten somewhere.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the meantime, though, it would help to have a job. Not a permanent lifestyle or anything. Just a friggin' job. That's all. No more drama than that.

How happy or deeply fulfilled a person is for just a few months is pretty trivial stuff, taken in any kind of perspective. People do harder things than taking a sucky job for a few months all the time. It hardly spells accepting the obliteration of one's soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, every morning this week, I get up, check Craigslist for every tutoring job in Atlanta that it looks like I'm reasonably qualified for (there's usually two or three) and apply for them. By the time I get there (next week), one or two may have actually gotten somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. I'm sure you'll do fine. As long as you keep trying, it's pretty hard NOT to get something that's at least good enough for a few months.

Even if it's not super great, make the best of it for a little while, and then it'll be done. Very doable.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

cardo brings this crap on himself with his dismissive attitude of everything sensible.

someone could offer him a job right now and it is obvious that he would find something wrong with it and turn it into an attack on his (self-perceived) intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about a freelance gig writing poker content for websites?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most encouraging thing I've read in this thread. I honestly hope something works out for you.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 PM

'Cardo, I've been reading this thread, but haven't said anything because I wasn't sure what I could say that hasn't already been said. I just want to say I wish you the best and I'm confident things will work out for you. I hope you learn whatever it is that God intends for you to learn from this and that you can make the most of the experience. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their logic seems to hold that you're a waste if you don't participate in the corporatocracy, that even if you hate it, a job is necessary, but that you don't have to hate it, that perception is a state of mind. That may be fine for most, but not for someone with something more to offer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah well, when you're this far in debt it's a little tough to get in a position to let your "something more to offer" shine through. You might have to do some things you don't like to get back to the point where you can start doing things you enjoy again. Most of the advice here was telling him to get a job to stabilize his life, then figure out more so what it is he wants to do with it -- not to become a corporate peon slaving his way up to middle management.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Cardo, I've been reading this thread, but haven't said anything because I wasn't sure what I could say that hasn't already been said. I just want to say I wish you the best and I'm confident things will work out for you. I hope you learn whatever it is that God intends for you to learn from this and that you can make the most of the experience. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the OOT Grandes keep a party office? If so, I bet they need some filing done. My WPM is pretty good. PM for resume.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the OOT Grandes keep a party office? If so, I bet they need some filing done. My WPM is pretty good. PM for resume.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll check, but I'm pretty sure the Grandes are paperless.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fifield -

i'm the same (INTP, 24, unemployed). i sincerely doubt you will feel content in ten years if you're in the same spot you are now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. But, I'd never advocate doing nothing, and certainly wouldn't myself. That would be pointless.

[ QUOTE ]
all the rest of your post sounds like filtered Fight Club. Fighting 'the man' is adolescent - and the thing is, 'cardo is smart enough that if he puts his mind to it and sucks it up for a few years, he wouldn't have to work for the Man. Unfortunately his situation is such that he can't see a way out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to see that movie...I don't want to be too disagreeable, it's just that fighting "the man" is not adolescent. Imagine the ramifications if no one fought the man...and the way away from depression and debt, or whatever Anacardo's going through, is not toward a social system which fosters both.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:19 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.

apply for a job at http://www.zombo.com/