FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: **Official** uNL Microbrew Thread - October

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Genz .... you are a good stand in for me, when I am away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. I can be grumpy also! Let's just say, the quality of what is written in this forum often...oscillates...extremely.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]
TBH, when I have the choice between posting hand reviews in uNL and just lurking in SSNL, only reading the Poo-Bah and Carpal replies to posted hands, I'd chose the latter immediately, coz I have only limited time. In uNL there is the point where you change from participating hoping/expecting to be corrected/flamed by better posters to being the one who teaches people. And while that can be fun, it feels like you aren't learning yourself anymore. And when I read a thread with discussion between veteran SSNL posters (you know what guys I'm talking about), it feels like tons of interesting stuff is raining down on you, even though you know it all. It's just put together in a different and more sophisticated way.
Ya'mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lurk a lot in MSNL and HSNL for the same reason, but if you;re not getting as much as you would like out of uNL, try replying to some more threads and correcting some noobs. Thats what makes this forum tick over, participation by the more experienced posters.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Out of curiosity, what's a "decent" W$WSF?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who folds sets nl newb, u nit

[/ QUOTE ]

I once read they lose to flushes [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like 38?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ammount of players who have [censored] up their game making "PT stats look pretty" is unreal.

PT stats are the result of play. PT stats should never be the aim of play.

Dont go looking for wonderfull numbers seriously, REVIEW HANDS - Numbers mean jack, honestly please dont screw your game up with that.

Your probably a solid player with some leaks, PT numbers wont fix them IMO.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who folds sets nl newb, u nit

[/ QUOTE ]

I once read they lose to flushes [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

if ur a good player u just make them turn into boats, which beat flushes!!
a little PSA there
Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Well trouble is that their flushes with one out river your boat and hit .......
Old 10-05-2007, 02:37 PM

The WSF # should be perhaps slightly lower, maybe, but I've also seen contradicting evidence where my WSF was just as high during a bad run. But 39 is off the grid.

I'm not interesting in arguing semantics, but I am interested in arguing philosophies. And yes, I actually believe there is something you can learn from your results. Maybe not something like "you complete from SB too often," but then again people who spout off that kind of advice are also missing the mark. Maybe you complete too much from the SB, but we don't know how. For that, we need hands. So people who think you can learn specific tactical adjustments that need to be made by looking at stats are wrong. You can only get clues as to general categories of things to look at. And people who say you can learn nothing from your winrate are similarly wrong. SB completion rate is a stat, as is VPIP, WTSD, street-by-street aggression and all the rest, but they think you can learn something from those stats. They have a convergence rate just like winrate, they have degrees of errors, variance, etc, so what's the difference? There isn't one.

So what can you learn from winrate? Its actually the most important, and most difficult thing you could learn from any stats. If you have lost money over a significant number of hands (yes, 20k is significant), then there's a very good chance you're bad at poker. It just makes sense, and ignoring this only keeps your bad habits in the dark. What's needed is the bright light of reality.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or be insulting. I'm actually trying to help. You can get better at poker. But its a growth thing, just like excercise. You can't do it without some blood, sweat & tears.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought October was starting to look up, but I was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am at work eating chex mix on my lunch and I almost choked to death....very nice
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this could be a leak. I like to complete with Kxs and Axs when there are limpers, and I like to defend KQo/AJo+, 22+. 90% of the time, the PFR will fold to a 3bet, so I don't think that is getting me into too much trouble. As for completing with speculative stuff, I almost always give up on the flop if I miss. Maybe I will take your advice and tighten up a lot in SB. What, if anything, should I do differently in the BB (as far as defense goes)?

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I'd like to clarify that you should tighten up in the SB as a temporary measure. It's more an aid to concentrate more on position and re-realize its importance. From my personal experience, I tend to get carried away with tricky plays pretty easily, feeling like I need to defend with any A against any btn raise. So stuff like this helps me to stay in line.
As a side-note: I absolutely hate KQo. About just as much as KJo. OOP, ldo. If often fold KQ from UTG and sometimes even MP. These hands play horribly oop in big pots. I would never chose these for a balanced 3betting strategy in the blinds. Same goes for AJ. I love it when I get a reason to fold that hand. Why? Because you will be enticed to play a HUDGE pot when you hit a A,K,Q or J but will end up with the worst hand very often in 3bet pots when your flop bet is actually called. If you decide to "defend" your miniscule blind, which, from a monetary, i.e. winrate standpoint, is a completely silly idea, tbh, use hands that make your life easy postflop, i.e. you always know that a flop bet is a bluff or a value bet for a sneaky monster. Use SCs and that stuff. Not trap hands like AJo. I promise you, that at least 75% of the time you hit an A with AJo and the money goes in, villain will have AQ or better.
Try defending your button more instead of your small blind. You win both blinds plus the raise and if you are called, you are in the best position. And people that like to steal from the button almost always like to steal from the CO and even MP too, esp. when you don't defend your SB very often.

I don't think that the completing from the SB is a huge mistake. I do it pretty often too with As (not so much Ks) and connected cards. Just make sure you get out if you don't hit a nice hand.

All this is player dependant of course. Goes without saying.
Closed Thread