Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: SSNL POKER [cheese] thread April

AJ, I don't even know how many accounts I have anymore- something like 77, 78. Not too sure. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I will say this, SSNL seems much more exciting now that the cheese threads are split up, and I think most people would agree with that. (I'm not taking any responsibility, just stating that).

As for Goofy, I never really had a problem with you, just the cheese thread in general turning into a girl thread and I'm thrilled that it's been broken up. I'm sorry if you felt like I personally attacked you, but you were just one of the names I used as examples for why I thought the cheese thread was clogging the forums. I could have used (and believe I did) the names of others, too. Maybe I'm tactless and troll too much, but I think I'm just opinionated and actually concerned about the dwindling content in SSNL. I think we can all agree that improving SSNL is best for everyone and it looks like we might be on the way to doing that.

So with that in mind, I think I'll take this opportunity to apologize to those who have been offended by anything I've said here lately. Sometimes I'm surprised at the way people can give and not take, but in general I think the attitude here in this forum had begun to incorporate far too much of BBV into it for it's own good. I'm sure plenty of people don't care, and most are probably indifferent, but for what it's worth I had quite a few PMs from people who felt the same way I did when voicing my opinions and calling out some regulars over the past couple months, so it wasn't like I was the only voice of dissent- just the loudest and most vocal. On the whole I'm grateful for what this forum has done for me and my poker game and I hope that people I've offended can consider letting bygones be bygones for the sake of the community and our unified desire to create a better place to learn, live and chat hands, [poker] and [life]. I suppose I'll toss this in the [life] thread, too, and then consider it common knowledge rather making an entire post dedicated to explanation, apology and desire to move forward.

Kyle
Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of course it is somewhat technical, but its not rocket science - or advanced economic theory for that matter. I simply resent efforts to treat it as such: you don't need dynamite to crack an egg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. Poker is a very complex mathematical structure. It's a completely unsolved game in the game theoretic sense, and we're not anywhere near being able to solve it theoretically. (you can only solve super-simplified toy versions of poker)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well - I'm not sure we actually disagree. If taken from a game theoretic perspective unlimited bet poker is a very complicated (to complicated to model).

My point is that it may be a complicated mathematical game, it does not take complicated mathematics or complex mathematical reasoning to play well. You can put a lot of time into EV equations (ala NLHE:TAP) and into trying to apply game-theoretic concepts to SSNL, but in the end I doubt it is going to make you a better player. Game theory, in particular, is useful for making predictions about behavior when all players are acting optimally with respect to one another's actions. In poker this is rarely the case. In fact I would argue that being a good player on the SSNL level involves figuring out what mistakes you're opponents are likely to be making with respect to your potential range of actions (in a particular hand and in the meta game) - and then optimizing your play on the basis of this assessment. For me this is very much a feel thing although it is rooted in mathematics (I suppose).

Of course it could also be that what you guys refer to as complex mathematical reasoning is not complex mathematical reasoning to me at all.

Lucky
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Hmm, I wonder if iChat in Leopard will be compatible with AIM pro's desktop sharing? Probably. Be easier than convincing people to use VNC. Still 6 months+ off, though.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I wonder if iChat in Leopard will be compatible with AIM pro's desktop sharing? Probably. Be easier than convincing people to use VNC. Still 6 months+ off, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done a couple of different things in the past with this. AIM PRO actually has a voice option that usually works pretty well, so I usually just go with that. I've also used Skype at the same time which works fine. For some reason, I'm not a big fan of VNC, but I really like AIM PRO.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Delta,

You made passive-aggressive attempts at accusing some regular posters of either not being good for the forum or being bad for the forum, and what's more you tried to hide behind the anonymity of a gimmick account to do it, presumably so that your main account wouldn't lose any credibility.

And now you're trying to use your main account to make yourself look like the benevolent hero.

Apology accepted, but it's going to take a bit of work for you to gain my trust. Transparency is a good place to start. Stop using gimmick accounts. If you want hand advice or want to be critical of the forum in an attempt to improve it, fine. Just be upfront about it.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Someone give me dummies guide to datamining party ? (never done any datamining, only software I ever used PT/PAHUD)

I got FreePHG, dont know what to do lol? I read/searched software forum for past half hour, but Im none the wiser. Tried to get Safemine (dont know what it does/cant find a link to download it).

Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ, I don't even know how many accounts I have anymore- something like 77, 78. Not too sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 5.

[ QUOTE ]
But I will say this, SSNL seems much more exciting now that the cheese threads are split up, and I think most people would agree with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all your gimmick accts have weighed in now and say they like it. So I guess all your personalities are unanimous in that.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm tactless and troll too much, but I think I'm just opinionated and actually concerned about the dwindling content in SSNL. I think we can all agree that improving SSNL is best for everyone and it looks like we might be on the way to doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've stated sentiments like this many times. And instead of actually posting poker content, which is what will make the forum better; you obsess over post counts, rail on the mods for keeping you down, rag on the regs and commentate on the forum itself.

[ QUOTE ]
So with that in mind, I think I'll take this opportunity to apologize to those who have been offended by anything I've said... {snip: blah blah blah}... and desire to move forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, accepted. So I can ban all your gimmick accts now? Among other things, I don't want to see one gimmick acct make an OP and another gimmick acct of yours chime in with "Neat, congrats!" You've already broken the agreement that kept you from being permabanned from 2p2, so I have a hard time believing your words aren't hollow.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:03 PM

aj move my thread please. use spidy skills!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:04 PM

Meh, just locked it.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM

Orange signs on to AIM.
aj im's Orange.
Orange doesn't answer.
Orange signs off.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Closed Thread