Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: 2007 Atlanta Braves Thread: Reclaiming the NL East

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty clear to me that this is a trade that Schuerholz and Cox decided to make for this year and next.

They are both getting near retirement and world championships have been the only thing that have alluded them in their careers.

This, coupled with the advanced age of Chipper, Smoltz, and the one remaining year on Andruw's contract, seems to suggest that Schuerholz cares very little about the extended future.

Besides, why would Cox and Schuerholz care if they left a team with no long-term plan for success? It will just make their careers look that much more impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. I don't think anyone has said this yet and it's very likely to be a huge factor.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Latest rumor is that the Braves are talking to the Reds about Arroyo.

There aren't going to be any prospects left after this is all over with.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah. The Braves are loaded with talent, and they have less need than most teams, based on having young semi-established players already in the majors: McCann, Francoeur, Soriano, maybe Escobar.

There's still Van Pope, Eric Campbell, Reyes, Lillibridge etc. Obv one or two of those would go for Arroyo, but the Braves keep churning them out because Schu drafts so well, and hires great coaches to develop them.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM

God, as much as I love Andruw, I really think we need to move on. I feel w/ the Teixiera deal we are one good ace and reliever away from another pennant run.
Does anyone know what Andruw's contract is and does anyone else think it'd be a good idea to free that $$$ up for pitching?
And do we have any other CF prospects in our farm system?

It's nice to see so many educated Braves fans to keep me up to date [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here's a couple bonus pics of my Braves/Giants game:
(Yes, I have a nice lens)
Francoeur snaphooking one foul:

Chipper at BP:
Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 PM

BGnight, Andruw is already on the way out. There is pretty close to zero chance that the Braves re-sign him.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Jordan Schafer is a quickly rising prospect who is now in A+ ball. He was destroying low A ball at the plate and has more than held his own at Myrtle Beach. His defense is top notch in CF and some scouts have called him the white Andruw defensively. He probably won't be ready til 2009 at the earliest, so we will need a stopgap for a 1+ years.

Schafer
Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BGnight, Andruw is already on the way out. There is pretty close to zero chance that the Braves re-sign him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I kinda figured this as a possibility (I haven't been watching enough baseball tonight [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). It still pains me though. It's sorta sad to see his swing regress and his legs get slower.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll miss him, but I feel like I've been missing him already since he's not what he used to be.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 PM

I won't be sad to see him go if he doesn't hit any better the rest of the season. Even with Tex, we will suck if he can't get it together.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Latest rumor is that the Braves are talking to the Reds about Arroyo.

There aren't going to be any prospects left after this is all over with.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah. The Braves are loaded with talent, and they have less need than most teams, based on having young semi-established players already in the majors: McCann, Francoeur, Soriano, maybe Escobar.

There's still Van Pope, Eric Campbell, Reyes, Lillibridge etc. Obv one or two of those would go for Arroyo, but the Braves keep churning them out because Schu drafts so well, and hires great coaches to develop them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what David O'Brien, the Braves beat writer has to say about the prospects they traded to get Tex:

" Saltalamacchia, 22, could be a star, and soon. But the Braves have a two-time All-Star catcher, Brian McCann, who's 23 and signed a six-year contract extension in March. "Salty" isn't a first baseman.

• Elvis Andrus, 18, has defensive skills to be another great Venezuelan shortstop. But his hitting has lagged and the Braves have Yunel Escobar ready to take over at shortstop after Edgar Renteria leaves.

• Left-hander Matt Harrison, 21, was rated the Braves' top pitching prospect last winter, but hasn't been a big winner in the minors and looked timid in his first big-league spring training.

• Right-hander Neftali Feliz, 19, is a talented Dominican who's recorded 70 strikeouts in 55 1/3 innings in two seasons in the low minors. But he's probably three or more years from the majors"

Seems like the only one the was real valuable was Salty. The others seem expendable.

I'm not sure about the Davies for Dotel rumor. Dotel kinda sucks and Davies is so young. Seems like Cox and Schuerholtz lost faith in him.

Arroyo would be a nice pick up. Who are the Reds wanting for him?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 PM

Looks like so far, the offer for Arroyo is JoJo Reyes. Here is the blurb from mlbrumors.com:

[ QUOTE ]
Braves Offering Jo-Jo Reyes For Arroyo

The Braves are making a push to get one of the better starting pitchers available. They're willing to give up pitching prospect Jo-Jo Reyes to get Bronson Arroyo. My guess is that Reyes alone would not be enough; the Braves might have to dip into the farm system and pull out another prospect.

If you're a Braves fan, you're really have to admire John Schuerholz's willingness to go for broke. Maybe he's found a market inefficiency in teams overvaluing prospects.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the last sentence interesting.