Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: SSNL POKER [cheese] thread April

I'll be honest - I didn't follow the merging ranges explanation and I have a Ph.D. in economics. My guess is that it is that it was not well explained - thought out.

What is the difference between merging ranges and value bluffing? The explanation in the MSNL thread states value bluffing is an implication of merging ranges, but I don't understand the distinction. Both apparently involve the betting marginal - hands.

For the most part I don't appreciate these efforts to make NL poker all scientific - technical.

Lucky
Old 04-30-2007, 02:14 PM

If you knew how your opponent played & he knew how you played, there would be no "merging ranges". It's because of the uncertainty that ranges can overlap and sometimes a bet can be good for multiple reasons (though not both at the same time).
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Incredibly juicy tables at Full Tilt and now they have server problems...... Oh well I'm getting pretty drunk now, so it's probably for the best....
Old 04-30-2007, 02:46 PM

is there something new on merging ranges? I read about that stuff a while ago in aejones well post, good stuff but i dont think its applicable for us. basically just saying you can value bet light when the opponent is in bluff catch mode.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:46 PM

as MDMA said, merging ranges is sort of a bad expression. It really is more a function of the fact that there is imperfect information. For what its worth though lucky, poker is technical, its about ranges, equity all of that. Sure there is the "human" element, but you take that into account within ranges and then base decisions off of that.

Also, 1/2 is definately the first place you can make sick good money. There are pros and cons to moving up. As Keanu said, you'll get better probably if you do. On the other hand, your winrate will probably decrease for a while. Shrug, its all up to your own situation
Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what its worth though lucky, poker is technical, its about ranges, equity all of that. Sure there is the "human" element, but you take that into account within ranges and then base decisions off of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is somewhat technical, but its not rocket science - or advanced economic theory for that matter. I simply resent efforts to treat it as such: you don't need dynamite to crack an egg.

Lucky
Old 04-30-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be honest - I didn't follow the merging ranges explanation and I have a Ph.D. in economics. My guess is that it is that it was not well explained - thought out.

What is the difference between merging ranges and value bluffing? The explanation in the MSNL thread states value bluffing is an implication of merging ranges, but I don't understand the distinction. Both apparently involve the betting marginal - hands.

For the most part I don't appreciate these efforts to make NL poker all scientific - technical.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

if i fully explain it, can u teach me econometrics?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:18 PM

5 for 5 in $215 headsup matches, does that subtract off of 77 buyin downswings?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 for 5 in $215 headsup matches, does that subtract off of 77 buyin downswings?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. its only 72 now
Old 04-30-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

if i fully explain it, can u teach me econometrics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I need to know about merging ranges? Seriously - it is probably something I do when called for without even thinking about.

You can PM with econometrics ?s and I will answer if I have time, but if I end up helping you a lot I may ask for something in return.

Lucky
Closed Thread