Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Prs to be making me less broke? Financial Follies

wow at this thread still going. anacardo, truly you are a giant among trolls.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Cardo,

If you could have any job/career/whatever you wanted, what would it be? And I'm not asking in a guidance-counselor way, I just think maybe if we knew that then we might be able to tailor some suggestions for you, maybe get you a for-now job that you don't absolutely hate. We have a much longer list of things you refuse to do than things you'd enjoy doing.

I was hoping to get some possible job suggestions out of this thread for myself as well, but instead we have 7 pages of just "get a goddamn job, Al."
Old 05-23-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, I just love how allergic ThinMan seems to any sort of education or intellectual pursuit. God forbid someone should "learn every [censored] phrase [they] know from some stupid ass book," or "[spend] a minute in college," and if you "read and use long boring words," then you'd really better look out! Nothing arouses the wrath of By-Tor quite like "learning long useless words!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember working for a guy or two like that. "Hey, Collitch, come ova heah! Heheh, yeah, Collitch!" Same sort of barely controlled, unprovoked anger and sneering. It was like being in a cartoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I wouldn't be a fan of this attitude, it makes some sense to me. I suspect most people still look down their noses at those without education, so I could see where people would get defensive about it. Also, in discussions like this, I often think of this quote from Toni Morrison: "Bryn Mawr had done what a four-year dose of liberal education was designed to do: unfit her for eighty per cent of useful work of the world."
Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, I just love how allergic ThinMan seems to any sort of education or intellectual pursuit. God forbid someone should "learn every [censored] phrase [they] know from some stupid ass book," or "[spend] a minute in college," and if you "read and use long boring words," then you'd really better look out! Nothing arouses the wrath of By-Tor quite like "learning long useless words!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember working for a guy or two like that. "Hey, Collitch, come ova heah! Heheh, yeah, Collitch!" Same sort of barely controlled, unprovoked anger and sneering. It was like being in a cartoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I wouldn't be a fan of this attitude, it makes some sense to me. I suspect most people still look down their noses at those without education, so I could see where people would get defensive about it. Also, in discussions like this, I often think of this quote from Toni Morrison: "Bryn Mawr had done what a four-year dose of liberal education was designed to do: unfit her for eighty per cent of useful work of the world."

[/ QUOTE ]

It puts me in mind of "short man syndrome." Guys being pissed off and hyper-obsessed with something that nobody else cares about, and anyway everyone's too busy thinking about themselves anyway.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 PM

All,

Sorry I missed all the recent hate, I was busy WORKING.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardo,

If you could have any job/career/whatever you wanted, what would it be? And I'm not asking in a guidance-counselor way, I just think maybe if we knew that then we might be able to tailor some suggestions for you

[/ QUOTE ]

how exactly is that "not in a guidance-counselor way"?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But more importantly to what I'm saying is that labor is extremely often viewed as expendable and having a limited duration. People expect you to only stay at McDonald's for a few months and to take anything better you find; that's all those jobs are worth. They don't expect you to express your genius, because there's not much room for it and they're probably not looking anyway. What is there to look for, really? You either fry the fries or you don't. There's not a lot of way to express your potential, and even less when nobody's looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently, 30 percent of franchise owners, 50 percent of corporate staff, and 70 percent of restaurant managers started as hourly workers at McDonald's, according to the company. Forty percent of McDonald's top management team also got their start in McDonald's restaurants, including chief executive Jim Skinner.

There really is opportunity anywhere if you're willing to shine.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is that population compared to the population of people who have worked at McDonalds? Quite a tiny, tiny sliver.

You're moving the goalposts. You essentially said there's no use to try because these are dead end jobs with no future. In reality, those are pretty large percentages of management who began on the front lines. No one said everyone who works at McDonalds can be the CEO. The argument is that even at McD there's opportunity for those willing to work hard and stand out from the crowd.

And, yes, there' much more to it than frying the french fries. Do you show up on time? Do you go the extra mile? Is the fry machine never cleaner than after your shift? Simple concept that I'm sure you grasp.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 PM

That was a strange post. My original point not only still stands, you didn't address it. Why?

P.S.: I don't recall saying everyone who worked at McDonalds would become the CEO. Your post is kind of flying off the handle in a buncha directions.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow at this thread still going. anacardo, truly you are a giant among trolls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality post, it really is good you got that in there. I am not sure if this thread would have been the same w/o your contribution.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cardo,

If you could have any job/career/whatever you wanted, what would it be? And I'm not asking in a guidance-counselor way, I just think maybe if we knew that then we might be able to tailor some suggestions for you

[/ QUOTE ]

how exactly is that "not in a guidance-counselor way"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't express myself well. I spent the past few minutes trying to rephrase that in a way that is truly non-guidance-counselor-esque but no luck. I'll be quiet now.