Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: do you think this internet bill will be effective?
yes 32 29.09%
no 51 46.36%
maybe but not sure 27 24.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: *****The Official 2007 J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS THREAD******

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i want that fking #1 pick

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]
what the hell kind of question is that? the jets are clearly going to have a top 10 pick, so why not aim for the highest? good god thats the dumbest question ive ever seen in my life

[/ QUOTE ]

It really isn't. If there's no concensus #1 pick and analagous gaping need associated with that players position, the financial risks associated with that draft slot are worse than say the 2-4. If the Jets want XXXXX, and only XXXX, and XXXX will be gone by #2, fine. But if they can get XXXX at 2 then 2 is the better pick to have.

Looking at this year's expected class and the Jets roster, IMO the #1 would not be better than the 2-3, maybe even the 4.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]
what the hell kind of question is that? the jets are clearly going to have a top 10 pick, so why not aim for the highest? good god thats the dumbest question ive ever seen in my life

[/ QUOTE ]

LOOOOOOOOOOL
Yeah pretty ridiculous to not want the best player in the draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the best player in the draft is a safety?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Thank you, sir.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ya i just want the jets get the exact player they want in the draft, i mean as long as they dont take a qb or rb which they prob wont, its not gonna be that bad of a hit to the salary cap

[/ QUOTE ]

I can def see the Jets taking McFadden in the draft. Especially if they have him at #1 on their board. Most teams succeed today with RBBC and McFadden could help tremendously. I do highly doubt a pick of Brohm, ect. unless of course they can pull a Chargers and pick him and trade later(though Eli helped out there).

This draft is going to be interesting if the bottom 3 stay StL, MIA, and NYJ. None of those teams have a direct need at QB so it's unlikely to see any of the huge QB prospects taken in those 3, we should see some big fellas picked in that group and that makes me happy.(I love OL/DL if you did not know).
Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 PM

I suspect the Jets will focus on the 2 D lineman. That of course assumes there aren't major DLine changes made pre-draft but, as is, their needs shade more towards the dline than RB. Obv this could all be moot if they feel McFadden is far and away the best player there.

From watching the Jets this year and last, I wouldn't mind an all lineman draft.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOOOOOOOOOOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that wasn't really my point, I was just saying how it's ridiculous to ask "Why would you want the #1 pick?"

I do want the #1 pick and it's pretty stupid to say things like "no one ever trades up for the #1 anymore" or things to that extent.

Whether the best player is a QB, a FS, or an LT, that's independent of this argument. So is the opinion that no one will want to trade up. The bottom line is that the #1 pick has the most value out of any selection in the draft, and you would prefer it to any other draft position. Asking questions like "Why?" makes absolutely no sense.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the Jets will focus on the 2 D lineman. That of course assumes there aren't major DLine changes made pre-draft but, as is, their needs shade more towards the dline than RB. Obv this could all be moot if they feel McFadden is far and away the best player there.

From watching the Jets this year and last, I wouldn't mind an all lineman draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree with this. It's a moot point if they have the chance to draft McFadden and they think he's the BPA. If not, then I could definitely see them drafting for the D-Line, or linebackers. I like Gholston but the Jets will have too high a draft pick.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOOOOOOOOOOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that wasn't really my point, I was just saying how it's ridiculous to ask "Why would you want the #1 pick?"

I do want the #1 pick and it's pretty stupid to say things like "no one ever trades up for the #1 anymore" or things to that extent.

Whether the best player is a QB, a FS, or an LT, that's independent of this argument. So is the opinion that no one will want to trade up. The bottom line is that the #1 pick has the most value out of any selection in the draft, and you would prefer it to any other draft position. Asking questions like "Why?" makes absolutely no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're really, really wrong. Value is a combination of cost and utility. The cost of the pick is so great that its difficult to get value in that spot.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM

OK, I see what you are saying and value wasn't the proper word for me to use. What I tried to say is that having the #1 pick, if we decide to trade down, we can receive a package that will positively change the Jets. If we decide to keep the pick, it might not have the best value from a cost-utility standpoint, but it will likely be the consensus best player in the draft. It's a great situation to be in.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM

Look, if we have a guy we think is the BPA at 1 and other teams agree then, yes, the #1 pick is a good thing and we should pull the trigger.

But please don't think that trading down and stockpiling picks is easy, or even possible. Its very unlikely, esp. in a year where these is no Peyton Manning/Mike Vick types set to come out, ie, top shelf ultra blue chip QBs.

My very-preliminary-not-very-informed thought is that Chris Long is the best fit for the Jets and I don't think he's a #1 pick and I don't think we'd need to take him at #1.