Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Avoid Alienware (semi-OT)

[ QUOTE ]
anyone who thinks they need an Alienware, should know enough about computers to build one themselves and save a bunch of money. time shouldn't even be an issue, it takes only a few hours to get it up and running after you have all the parts.

also, intel core 2 duo > amd 64

[/ QUOTE ]

For many people, a couple of days is worth a lot more than $2K.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone who thinks they need an Alienware, should know enough about computers to build one themselves and save a bunch of money. time shouldn't even be an issue, it takes only a few hours to get it up and running after you have all the parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

where did i say a couple of days? most of the time spent is waiting for parts to be delivered (which you still have to wait if you order from alienware), and if you are in hurry you can get them all shipped one day air
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to most of the articles when you google "amd vs intel dual-core" AMD is shown better and has a lower price.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to most of the articles when you google "amd vs intel dual-core" AMD is shown better and has a lower price.

[/ QUOTE ]

read the dates. they are talking about the pentium/celeron d. those suck. i am talking about the core 2 duo.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 PM

alienware = -EV

Dell = +EV
Old 11-30-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

read the dates. they are talking about the pentium/celeron d. those suck. i am talking about the core 2 duo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am talking about dual core processors.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:50 PM

I've used only Dell since 1982... never a complaint...6 desktops 2 laptops...very satisfied with the few support contacts I've had.

OTOH my buisness bought a bunch of HP desktops as a network solution(slick sales job) and immediately became a gong show.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

where did i say a couple of days? most of the time spent is waiting for parts to be delivered (which you still have to wait if you order from alienware), and if you are in hurry you can get them all shipped one day air

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of days of research. The time required to spec and buy from Dell is like 25 min.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 PM

Core 2 Duo is marginally better than the AMD 64 when talking about their top end processors. Intel's processor is definitely faster in most benchmarks, but in terms of price/performance AMD generally gives the better deal.

For poker players and gamers, either processor is fine. If you do a lot of video encoding and high processor functions, then maybe you will find more value in an Intel high end processor.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:28 PM

Hey guys,im gonna upgrade desktop,running a dinosaur and its costing me alot of money not having a faster system with dual monitors.I want to customize but have it pre assembled.Im semi computer illiterate,and although im learning alot just researching buying a new system,i just rather have it pre-built this time around at least.Obviously ive checked out big sites that customize like Dell and HP,but it seems that i can do better price wise with better specs elsewhere.So my question is,what companies build sick reliable computers at good prices for the parts ect. i will select?I came across a company called MainGear,they offer a system called their Prelude that can be modified to blow the top end home computer Dell has on its website out of the water for a much better price.I think their basically a company that caters to gamers,anyone have experience with them or heard anything about them or other companies that would fit my above description??? Thanks