Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Re: I am looking to live anywhere in Europe like a King.

Nigeria
Old 01-09-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother spent a semester and Poland and it was super cheap. 5-course dinners for $3, decent lunches for around a $1. However just in the 6 months he was there last spring the fall in the dollar was noticable and prices increased.

Also he said that Polish people went out of there way to make him feel welcome. They wanted him to know that Poland was our number one ally in Iraq and what not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite. You can usually eat a casual meal (pork cutlet or fried chicken filet with fries and small "salad") for about three bucks. Still a hell of a deal when you consider that it's basically home-cooking, but it ain't $2 for a five-course meal. This is in the cities, too; in smaller towns you won't find a whole lot of selection food-wise, but it will be cheap.

And there are just as many people in Poland who will tell you how much they dislike America, Iraq, the Polish contribution to the war, the Polish politicians who put them in the war, etc etc. I LOVE Poland and Poles, but to suggest that they're all 100% supportive of the US and its role in the world is a wild, wild exaggeration.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brastislava

[/ QUOTE ]
In the summer at least. I hear in the winter it can get a bit depressing.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brastislava

[/ QUOTE ]If the OP is looking for a place that sucks a lot and has nothing to do, then yes, Bratislava is your place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-09-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My brother spent a semester and Poland and it was super cheap. 5-course dinners for $3, decent lunches for around a $1. However just in the 6 months he was there last spring the fall in the dollar was noticable and prices increased.

Also he said that Polish people went out of there way to make him feel welcome. They wanted him to know that Poland was our number one ally in Iraq and what not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite. You can usually eat a casual meal (pork cutlet or fried chicken filet with fries and small "salad") for about three bucks. Still a hell of a deal when you consider that it's basically home-cooking, but it ain't $2 for a five-course meal. This is in the cities, too; in smaller towns you won't find a whole lot of selection food-wise, but it will be cheap.

And there are just as many people in Poland who will tell you how much they dislike America, Iraq, the Polish contribution to the war, the Polish politicians who put them in the war, etc etc. I LOVE Poland and Poles, but to suggest that they're all 100% supportive of the US and its role in the world is a wild, wild exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get this pricing in L.A. too. Three bucks for a chicken breast or pork chop and a small salad definitely isn't particularly great.

Sounds like a big discrepancy in prices you guys are talking about between each other. Some of that has got to come to where you're doing the eating, I guess, and also what the exchange rate is like.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, let's go bowling. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have bowling alleys in England? What do they call a Brooklyn strike? What's your average? What are standard beer frame rules? Is a turkey called a turkey over there?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cool, let's go bowling. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have bowling alleys in England? What do they call a Brooklyn strike? What's your average? What are standard beer frame rules? Is a turkey called a turkey over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, dunno, lame (80 or something), I dunno what beer frame rules are, yes
Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM

i laughed
Old 01-09-2006, 05:44 PM

(blind reply)

I don't think you find a nice play to live in Europe with that lifestyle on that budget. The places where it is that cheap either sucks (Russian countryside, Moldova etc.) or is too difficult with visa. Increase it to 700-800 and you have good life in most of the former Eastern bloc, and there is plenty of good places to live. Only hope I think you have in Europe on your budget is to go to Southern Ukraine (which is very nice) but I think visas are hard to get, but you may check out.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poland isn't a bad choice at all, but even there you're cutting it close on $300/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am living in Poland now, and life would suck for $300/month.