Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: is the pottery barn full of idiots?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are for the purposes of monetary gain, knowingly representing to the store something that is untrue and that results in a monetary loss for the store. This being that the speakers were purchased at that store. I'm pretty sure this would fall under fraud and as well as theft from fraud. Statutes like these are written pretty broadly so that just about any scam that someone can come up,is able to be prosecuted.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure in the above's accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you're wrong. They didn't represent the speakers as having come from the stores they returned them to. In fact, they stated they bought them at another store.

Walmart's return polilcy is clearly designed to allow for some wiggle room. I'm sure they realize that most people who return things just turn around and spend the money at their store again.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint. What would stop someone from buying EVERY speaker that store A was selling for $25, and then turning around and returning all of them at Walmart for $75 profit? If this was Walmart's policy, you'd have people showing up at Walmart with truckloads of merchandise that they'd bought on sale at other stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) "Store A" was also a Wal-Mart. I'm not sure they'd be so forgiving about merchandise that wasn't purchased at Wal-Mart initially.

b) I doubt there are truckloads of merchandise in existence that are priced lower than Wal-Mart. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint. What would stop someone from buying EVERY speaker that store A was selling for $25, and then turning around and returning all of them at Walmart for $75 profit? If this was Walmart's policy, you'd have people showing up at Walmart with truckloads of merchandise that they'd bought on sale at other stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the Walmart return policy restricts how many returns can be made by each individual. So your hypo would never happen.
And if they didn't have that policy, the alternative solution would be to maintain a strict pricing policy so that if one store has excess stock, they must move it to another store rather than discount it.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Ah. I missed the part where both stores were Walmarts.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:45 PM

This 'mini-story' half way through is B.S. I tried to return a pair of sneakers I bought for 1/3rd the price to a Walmart IN ANOTHER TOWN 200 KILOMETERS AWAY, and they knew that I got them 1/3rd off. They have all that on computer, somehow.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This 'mini-story' half way through is B.S. I tried to return a pair of sneakers I bought for 1/3rd the price to a Walmart IN ANOTHER TOWN 200 KILOMETERS AWAY, and they knew that I got them 1/3rd off. They have all that on computer, somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for your speedy response!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they don't, they should, but I can't imagine they don't. Nordstroms for sure does this.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The important thing is that you were able to call ElaineMonster a liar.

Unfortunately, she may end up creating a new account just to cuss you out.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt that newfangled computer system was purchased to thwart Elaine's scamming friends.

...and nobody owns a pair of sneakers.