Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Read

I agree with jively,

Bougle is the savior for low expense mutual funds; the company he essentially founded ranks at the top one or two position for mutual funds, and what he wrote was great. But when it comes to writing great books; these others 'Bernstein. Gibson, Swedlow...."take it from there and that is what I recommend we "Lets Read."...
Old 04-05-2006, 09:26 PM

My opinion:

For almost all my acquaintances, only a small percentage of them were consistently good or lucky in active trading. Very few -- many one or two. But....

With a little knowledge about asset allocation, the efficient market, etc -- most of us can become our own man, our own expert, pay low expenses, and do well in the market(s)....
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 PM

Ben Graham's book:
I think we should get a copy -- as a background. But it is for buying an individual stock or two. Sometimes we come upon a good buy (Peter Lynch approach).In 1997 ago I was buying Simpson connecters [Simpson Manufacturing ( symbol: SSD)] at Home Depot for making a trellis in my back yard. Home Depot was pushing their products -- I was impressed. I bought a 100 shares. I wish I would have bought a 1000. I was just lucky -- I guess....

The trouble is most of us aren't that good at consistently buying individual stocks.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Intelligent Investor has valuable information that pertains to investing in general, not just investing in stocks. I think it provides a solid framework for building financial knowledge.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Asset Allocation: Balancing Financial Risk by Roger C. Gibson

[/ QUOTE ]
I want to withdraw this book. I was just looking over it again. This book is designed for investment advisors, and not for individuals doing their own investments.

-Tom
Old 04-09-2006, 02:45 PM

I have highlighted below 7 major topic areas for possible reading.

1. Are there suggestions for other categories?

2. There have been books suggested in the reading list thread and in this one, does anyone have additional books to suggest?

3. If you are willing to lead the dicussion of a book under any of these categories, please let me know!

4. My initial opnion was to start at the beginning, and move thru these categories, as they build upon each other. Based on comments here, would people prefer to go thru these categories in order, or attempt to do them in parallel, with different people leading readings in various categories at the same time? Or possibly simply start where there is the most interest, and go from there?

Please express your opinions!

Draft Major categories for reading:

1. Personal Finance
2. Passive Investing - Modern Portfolio Theory & Index Investing
3. Active Investing - Value/Fundamental Analysis, Growth/Momentum
4. Active Trading - Trading Psychology, Risk Mgmt, Technical Analysis, Candlestick charting, Timing/Trend/Swing/Day trading
5. Derivatives/Leverage - Options & Futures
6. Other Investments - FX, Commodities, Real Estate
7. Business/Entity creation

Much thanks to Mr. Now for his efforts to move this forward.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 PM

This seems like a complete topic list that will provide a great base of financial knowledge. I look forward to reading and discussing books in these topics to increase my financial knowledge.

The list order seems great to me. It would be most logical to move through this list in order.

The only possible addition if not already included in one of the categories, would be a general discussion of asset allocation or portfolio construction to link the passive and active investing categories.

Thanks for all of your had work!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My initial opnion was to start at the beginning, and move thru these categories, as they build upon each other.

[/ QUOTE ]
good idea, but here's a devil's advocate response....it seemed like the majority of people that mentioned a specific book that they were interested in reading mentioned intelligent investor. perhaps you should capitalize on that.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good idea, but here's a devil's advocate response....it seemed like the majority of people that mentioned a specific book that they were interested in reading mentioned intelligent investor. perhaps you should capitalize on that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-11-2006, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My initial opnion was to start at the beginning, and move thru these categories, as they build upon each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'd agree with this. It seems to me that this would ensure a lot of participation, which would be good to get this program going.

-bb.