Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Dwight Freeneys season possibly over

[ QUOTE ]
If I have the right idea of what you are suggesting, the PA would definitely oppose it. It would essentially require the owner's to raise the cap and share more $$ with the players, or the current players to agree to share off their money with worse replacement level players (IE increase the supply of players and take a pay cut).

[/ QUOTE ]

it would, but I don't think we're talking about a lot of money. you could cap the "DL" at 5 guys or something, and cap "replacement salaries" at $2m, total. meaning, the owners would be on the hook for $2m more.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but, I think this particular rule is fine. imagine the Patriots signing a troubled WR to a 1 year deal ( ) and he starts bringing guns to practice and by week 1 it's obvious it's not gonna work. the team doesn't want him anymore, and nobody else does. the solution? put him on ir and use the money on someone else. see how that wouldn't work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a player on the opening day roster guaranteed his salary? I was under the impression that a team can cut a player at any time and whatever portion of his salary he has yet to earn is not counted against the cap. If that's so, your example doesn't work.

My example of gaming the system with IR would run like this: You have a young "prospect" type player, very raw, and it becomes obvious that he's not going to be ready to contribute this season. So, oops! Look, he has a hangnail. Off he goes to IR, meanwhile we get the cap space back and we get to hold onto his rights for next year.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 PM

hmm I think you are right, and your example is right on
Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 PM

Exactly Varlos. The Raiders shouldn't be allowed to put JaMarcus Russell on IR and use his cap money just because they ain't playing him this year.

This blows goats but I expected it.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but, I think this particular rule is fine. imagine the Patriots signing a troubled WR to a 1 year deal ( ) and he starts bringing guns to practice and by week 1 it's obvious it's not gonna work. the team doesn't want him anymore, and nobody else does. the solution? put him on ir and use the money on someone else. see how that wouldn't work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a player on the opening day roster guaranteed his salary? I was under the impression that a team can cut a player at any time and whatever portion of his salary he has yet to earn is not counted against the cap. If that's so, your example doesn't work.

My example of gaming the system with IR would run like this: You have a young "prospect" type player, very raw, and it becomes obvious that he's not going to be ready to contribute this season. So, oops! Look, he has a hangnail. Off he goes to IR, meanwhile we get the cap space back and we get to hold onto his rights for next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fix here is simple and tied into a larger fix for concussions and other serious injuries: NFL Doctors. This has been an issue in the past with players wanting to return to a game after a head injury and team doctors not saying "no" because they're paid by the team not the league.

Maybe that wouldn't work, but I'd imagine they could find a way to work that out.

Cody
Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Players on the opening day roster are guaranteed their base salary for the entire season.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 PM

You are correct, sir.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are correct, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they are suspended?

Also, what about that whole Troy Williamson thing that went down. Wasn't that about him being docked 1/17th of his base salary?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are correct, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they are suspended?

Also, what about that whole Troy Williamson thing that went down. Wasn't that about him being docked 1/17th of his base salary?

[/ QUOTE ]

a player being docked salary is different than his team being on the hook for the allocated money.

now, the Vick situation is a different siutation. any money the Falcons get back from Vick will be "given back to them" as cap money.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM

GG Colts.