Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Week 10 Rank\'em

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok great....tell me why KU is better than MU.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kansas has the 2nd best scoring defense in the country. Missouri is around 40th.

Kansas has the 2nd best scoring offense in the country. Missouri has about the 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]
If Kansas had played only high school junior varsity teams, would that diminish their statistical accomplishments in your opinion?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok great....tell me why KU is better than MU.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kansas has the 2nd best scoring defense in the country. Missouri is around 40th.

Kansas has the 2nd best scoring offense in the country. Missouri has about the 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]
If Kansas had played only high school junior varsity teams, would that diminish their statistical accomplishments in your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. You take it into account. It's not the only variable I use. Just like SOS and record should not be the only variable you use.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KU's SOS is 107. Appalachian State's SOS is 109.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really buy into this crap? Sure 5 of the games were really easy but @KSU, @CU, and @aTm is as good a set of wins as just about anyone in the country. Add an undefeated record to that and I don't see how you can justify any hate at this point. And if all that's not enough consider that we didn't just play 5 "creampuffs", but we also beat all of them by 40-50 pts which is a pretty big deal.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Missouri has crushed two teams that were ranked in the top 25 when they played (Texas Tech and Nebraska).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest logic ever for giving a team credit. Who cares where a team WAS ranked .

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Billingsley, whose ranking system is part of the BCS.

From his own description of his system:

"THE MIND SET OF THE GAME, THE INTENSITY OF THE GAME, REVOLVED AROUND PLAYING A #1 TEAM. How can the mind set and intensity of a game be overlooked 4 weeks later? But critics will say "but what if Georgia fell to #50, do the Gators still get credit for playing a #1 team?" Very good point. It does happen. Rankings can fluctuate dramatically during the course of a season. Look at Alabama in 2000.

Several years ago I made a compromise that I think has worked exceptionally well. I use a combination of both, with percentages tilted slightly towards the game day rating and rank. This way both are taken into account. The current rankings are not totally discounted but more credit is given to the original "mind set and intensity" of the game."

Full description of his crappy system
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 AM

No BCS conference team has ever gone undefeated and been excluded for a 1 loss team.

Undefeated NON-BCS conference teams have been excluded for 1 loss BCS schools.

Undefeated BCS schools have been excluded for OTHER UNDEFEATED BCS schools.

but thus far no undefeated BCS conference school has been screwed over in favor of a 1 loss team
Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 AM

They won't be this year either. Kansas does have a pretty weak schedule to this point (even their "best win" vs. KSU looks a lot weaker after KSU lost to Iowa State), but it will look much, much stronger after the Jayhawks play Missouri and Oklahoma. If KU's undefeated with wins over those teams, they're >90% to play for the title even if Ohio State, LSU, and Oregon all win out.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They won't be this year either. Kansas does have a pretty weak schedule to this point (even their "best win" vs. KSU looks a lot weaker after KSU lost to Iowa State), but it will look much, much stronger after the Jayhawks play Missouri and Oklahoma. If KU's undefeated with wins over those teams, they're >90% to play for the title even if Ohio State, LSU, and Oregon all win out.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, forget about the computers the pollsters will be all over their nuts and thats all it will take
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 AM

Don't worry, Kansas won't be winning out. Just go ahead and assume they have one loss even if it comes in the title game.

@Oklahoma St. - They beat Texas, they could beat KU.
Missouri - Has a good shot at beating KU.
Title game...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry, Kansas won't be winning out. Just go ahead and assume they have one loss even if it comes in the title game.

@Oklahoma St. - They beat Texas, they could beat KU.
Missouri - Has a good shot at beating KU.
Title game...

[/ QUOTE ]

Go Kansas!

Damn, imagine if Kansas ends up being national champions. don't say it can't happen.

question for those who are good point setters

suppose OSU was playing Michigan this week instead of next (it's at Michigan) -- what is the point spread?

-4.5 OSU sound about right?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 AM

Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate. If I were to guess, I'd say it opens at -5, and gets bet down to maybe -4 by kickoff.

With that said, I've got a strong feeling Michigan's going to pull the upset. This is pretty much the same offense that put up 38 points on the Buckeyes last year, and the Big House is going to be crazy. I say a last-second TD gives it to Michigan 27-26.