Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: If You\'re a Christian who Believes in Evolution..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.

11And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.

12And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity.

13And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.

14And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.

15The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?

16And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound , lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?

17And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

Jesus rescued this woman that's what he came to this world to do. Rescue people. Please note: she glorified God.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you credit Jesus with curing one woman (who was supposedly made ill by Satan) but not condemn Jesus for not curing the billions of others who he could merely wink and they'd too be cured? And as I stated above, your god is a putz if he lets one of his fallen angels cause such misery across his creation. Moreover, your god is an arrogant prick if the creatures he loves must first glorify him before he addresses their suffering (caused by one of his own fallen angels). If your child was suffering greatly, would you withhold alleviating that suffering until your kid glorified you? What the hell kind of love is that? That's vanity, sir, not love.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got this backward. The woman was healed, and then she glorified God. The healing was a free gift (not payment for glorifying God). It was in responce to being healed that she glorified God (and this is not an unreasonable response.)
Old 10-21-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there is do doubt that there was sin for some time before Jesus came. I, and most Christians believe that the death of Jesus covered all sins (both those before and after Jesus came). Therefore, as far as I can tell, it wouldn't have mattered when Jesus came. So I think the answer to your question, "Why did God wait 198,000 years to send Jesus?", is "why not?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why would it matter if Jesus was sent at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess that God had to do something about sin, and the thing he chose to do was send Jesus. I don't see how the timing of this is relevant at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious but what do you think Jesus was doing for oh all of a eternity before the year 0 AD? That was one sweet gig he had just chilling in his dad's pad. Maybe he was in charge of the angels' choir? But then his dad had to make him get a job by going to earth and helping the humans. What really sucks is now he has to answer all their prayers. Life was great for 198,000 years when they didn't even know he existed.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:07 AM

tell me where i go wrong in my proof:
God exists without time, without past present and future. God sent Jesus the absolve all sin past present and future. People existed before Jesus, and therefore people lived without christianity. God exists without time, when god sent Jesus he absolved all sin, which must have applied to those before Jesus because they cannot be held accountable for not believing in something that didn't exist. If people exist without time in God's eyes, and God absolved the sin of people born before the bible existed. therefore God must absolve ALL people of of all sin because God exists without time therefore all people who do not, did not, and will not believe in God because god exists without time therefore all nonbelievers exist in the same frame, and therefore are absolved. Thus, God admits all to heaven.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question: Why did God wait some 198,000 years before sending Jesus down to save humanity?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Time" does not exist in "always has been, always will be" 's being. Life is meant in this dimension to be a full process of duality light and dark. For us to choose from willfully. Love, or Hate. Our individual experience(s) must be gone through for us to decide in our heart whether we Love, Love, Or Love Hate. There is no right choice, they just are. Its our free will choice and mission to find and Love what we like...

Perhaps to prepare for the next step in an infinite process?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Humans do have souls if we didn't have them, if we were entirely physical, then we couldn never know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flawless analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. I mean, wow. Splendour's personal opinion that it is impossible to know you exist unless you have a soul has truly swayed me and shown me how wrong I am.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Humans do have souls if we didn't have them, if we were entirely physical, then we couldn never know it.

In this story by Dennis J. De Haan it shows a little boy with a soul:

"A father took his family to a restaurant. Before the meal, his 6-year-old son prayed, "Thank You for the food, and I would even thank You more if Mom got us ice cream. Amen!"

Amid the laughter, a woman nearby said indignantly, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream!" The lad overheard her and burst into tears. Just then an elderly gentleman came by, winked at the boy, and whispered to him, "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."

When dessert came, the boy picked up his sundae, walked to the lady's table, and set it before her. With a big smile he said, "This is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes, and my soul is good already."

This young boy showed the kind of selfless humility that Jesus talked about in Matthew 18. When the disciples asked Him, "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He said that we must emulate the humility and trust of little children (vv.1-4)."

The moral actions of the little boy show me he had a soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuvok: You are an unending source of astonishment, Mr. Kneelix.

Kneelix: Why thank you Mr. Vulcan!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God exists without time, without past present and future. God sent Jesus the absolve all sin past present and future. People existed before Jesus, and therefore people lived without christianity. God exists without time, when god sent Jesus he absolved all sin, which must have applied to those before Jesus because they cannot be held accountable for not believing in something that didn't exist. If people exist without time in God's eyes, and God absolved the sin of people born before the bible existed. therefore God must absolve ALL people of of all sin because God exists without time therefore all people who do not, did not, and will not believe in God because god exists without time therefore all nonbelievers exist in the same frame, and therefore are absolved. Thus, God admits all to heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much exactly what I believe. Of course those who do not want to go to heaven are not forced to do so. Also, this belief is very non-standard amoungst Christians.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there is do doubt that there was sin for some time before Jesus came. I, and most Christians believe that the death of Jesus covered all sins (both those before and after Jesus came). Therefore, as far as I can tell, it wouldn't have mattered when Jesus came. So I think the answer to your question, "Why did God wait 198,000 years to send Jesus?", is "why not?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why would it matter if Jesus was sent at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess that God had to do something about sin, and the thing he chose to do was send Jesus. I don't see how the timing of this is relevant at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious but what do you think Jesus was doing for oh all of a eternity before the year 0 AD? That was one sweet gig he had just chilling in his dad's pad. Maybe he was in charge of the angels' choir? But then his dad had to make him get a job by going to earth and helping the humans. What really sucks is now he has to answer all their prayers. Life was great for 198,000 years when they didn't even know he existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're questions all assume a God who is constrained by time as we are. I keep saying that that is not the case.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much exactly what I believe. Of course those who do not want to go to heaven are not forced to do so. Also, this belief is very non-standard amoungst Christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

but isn't one of the few things that the bible explicitly states is that the wicked will be punished in the afterlife?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 AM

maybe God will give them a spanking in heaven