Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

This article is retarded. When a bunch of arrogant cocky 20 somethings get this much money, there is gonna be some bafoonery, how does it correlate to hip hop culture? Because they're all making ridic money and are young (for the most part). I don't think it has to do with hip hop at all, but just the amount of money these people have to blow along with how cocky most of them are.

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that it makes sense to cater to your stars. And it makes even more sense to fill your roster with players who don't mind being led, even if you sacrifice a little 40-yard dash speed.

[/ QUOTE ]
that was my favorite part...loool
Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya I got kind of sidetracked finding the interview. Dids I think he focuses too much on race, but manages to at least be honest and form competent arguments which is something 99% of sports writers can't do. He also will have way too many WTF articles like where he suggested that Garrard was Jackonsvilles backup QB because if the backup was white people would pressure Del Rio to play him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think anybody who uses "hip-hop culture" is jsut engaging in lazy (and incorrect and slightly bigoted) shorthand.

Whitlock is more interesting when he's [censored] on Mike Lupica.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 PM

xorb,

good post.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think anybody who uses "hip-hop culture" is jsut engaging in lazy (and incorrect and slightly bigoted) shorthand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So anyone who uses "${culture_variable} culture" is engaging in lazy (and incorrect and slightly bigoted) shorthand, too, right?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:39 PM

The real issue is essentially, as xorbie also said, young rich people with ego's. They act stupid and in our society, if you are rich, you think you can do whatever you want. It doesn't matter what race you are. The only variable IMO is background, and that really only effects in what manner a person acts out. A hip hop culture has as much relevance in this discussion as a rock culture or whatever. The argument that hip hop has an effect is so O'Reillyish its ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a bit off topics, but sure.

It isn't a malicious or even conscious thing on the parts of educators. The cultures are different, but many educators don't realize the extent to how it's different.

The basic idea is that the dominant culture of whites values individualism and competitiveness, while the culture of most minorities (typically Blacks, Hispanics, and American Indians) focus on cooperation. So students from these cultures have to adopt different attitudes every time they step into a classroom. Those that don't are thought of as abnormal. This can lead to lower self-esteem and lower expectations from teachers, which in turn leads to lower performance. Educators are also likely to think something is wrong medically with these types of thoughts, which is a large percentage of black males are in special education.

This also has instructional implications, as the majority of instruction is teacher driven, individual work courses while students from these cultures learn better in student-driven, group-work courses.

For a counterexample, Asian students thrive in this sort of culture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have citations or links for any of this stuff?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 PM

I didn't even know JoA had a job.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ya I got kind of sidetracked finding the interview. Dids I think he focuses too much on race, but manages to at least be honest and form competent arguments which is something 99% of sports writers can't do. He also will have way too many WTF articles like where he suggested that Garrard was Jackonsvilles backup QB because if the backup was white people would pressure Del Rio to play him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whitlock is more interesting when he's [censored] on Mike Lupica.

[/ QUOTE ]
What I should have said in my post above was Whitlock is better than 99% of mainstream sports media because he [censored] on Mike Lupica.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real issue is essentially, as xorbie also said, young rich people with ego's. They act stupid and in our society, if you are rich, you think you can do whatever you want. It doesn't matter what race you are. The only variable IMO is background, and that really only effects in what manner a person acts out. A hip hop culture has as much relevance in this discussion as a rock culture or whatever. The argument that hip hop has an effect is so O'Reillyish its ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

TSC, you may be right about this, but how do you explain the fact that all the recent young, rich people with ego's making spectacles of themselves mostly happen to be black? For the life of me, I can't think of one white athlete these days who are equivalent to Michael Vick, etc.

Media bias? My own racial blinders? What?

For the record, I have no problem pointing out silly, arrogant [censored] no matter what race they happen to be! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Shockey?