Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Fire Mike Holmgren

Holmgren made a few minor mistakes but the reason they were even in that position is bad play. Muffed snap for a TD and the amazing fumble recovery and you take 14 points off the board. The blocked FG is another 3. You can't just give teams points like that and expect to win the game. No matter what Holmgren does late in the 4th quarter its a low percentage change of working. The Hawks need to quit making mistakes.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 AM

Zod,

I was talking about the earlier call on 4th and 3 where he changed his mind, my bad.

In terms of the 4th and 9, I'm torn. The guess on the post game show on was that they would have kicked a field goal had the previous play stopped the clock, but once (I assume) Matt changed that call to a draw, they opted not to rush the kicking team on there.

Me personally, I go for the TD. It's easier to recover and onside and make 30 yards for the FG in limited time than it is (for this offense) to move down the field for a TD.

(my guess is that in the past, Mike has given Matt a lot of autonomy in 2 minute drill spots, and there's some bad communication issues there).
Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 AM

Post game Mike quotes from the TNT's excellent Hawks blog;

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seah...mgren_quotes_3
Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easier to recover and onside and make 30 yards for the FG in limited time than it is (for this offense) to move down the field for a TD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I typically agree with this, assuming it's 4th and short. but 4th and 9 in the red zone is a totally different situation.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Zod,

Based on year of watching this team.

Chance of making it on 4th and 9 scoring TD recovering onside and kicking field goal >>> chance of kicking field goal, getting onside and scoring TD.

This is in part because Josh Brown is awesome and I think can hit from 60.

I think that call is a pretty minor issue.

The biggest mistakes I see

1- A game plan that did not account/adjust for the NO Blitz
2- Play calls that even gave Matt the option to change to running plays (changes that were made in part because of the blitz)
3- A defensive game plan that did not blitz enough and failed to put any heat on a QB who doesn't respond well to heat.

Other things that screwed up the game:

1- a bad snap from a long snapper brought into replace a [censored] long snapper
2- a fumble that we didn't recover in a freakish way
3- our QB almost getting killed by a camera that caused a delay that can't have been helpful.

Things Matt Hasselbeck did to lose the game:

1- audibled into a run on 4th and 3.
2- threw a horrible pass for a game ending interception (altough it seems like Nate [censored] up that route as well)
3- potentially audibled into 2 more very suspect runs.
4- just wasn't very accurate in general
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chance of making it on 4th and 9 scoring TD recovering onside and kicking field goal >>> chance of kicking field goal, getting onside and scoring TD.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are insane
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM

I stopped into this thread just to point out that if I were, say, Bobby Engram, I would have murdered Shaun Alexander in cold blood ages ago. Hard to imagine a more infuriating teammate - someone who's constantly smiling complacently and talking about how blessed they are, etc. and then consistently just doesn't play hard. Other guys (TO, Moss, various dudes who oughta be in jail) are as bad or worse, I guess, but I find it difficult to imagine a more irritating combination. "The Lord has been so good to me that I just gotta short-arm this pass, Coach."
Old 10-15-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped into this thread just to point out that if I were, say, Bobby Engram, I would have murdered Shaun Alexander in cold blood ages ago. Hard to imagine a more infuriating teammate - someone who's constantly smiling complacently and talking about how blessed they are, etc. and then consistently just doesn't play hard. Other guys (TO, Moss, various dudes who oughta be in jail) are as bad or worse, I guess, but I find it difficult to imagine a more irritating combination. "The Lord has been so good to me that I just gotta short-arm this pass, Coach."

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even more frustrating as a fan when he's on local television commercials for televangelist Casey Treat. His crazy God complex is reason enough for me to want him gone, now his crappy play is making me wish he could meet his God.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:12 PM

FWIW Shaun plays hard. I fully believe this.

The problem is that he plays in a way that makes it look like he doesn't play hard. Up until last year, he was never hurt, which was amazing for a running back.

Shaun does play dumb, and selfish. He'll take a 5 yard loss if his cutback gives him a shot at a big play. Rather than take a 3 yard gain, he'll dance and look for 9.

The problem is that now age and health have caught up with his other flaws, and the whole package is just kinda ugly.

Cardo,

Bobby needs to drop a few less balls in season ending situations before he can get too smug.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Problem with Holmgren is things aren't going in the right direction. The team is not on an upswing, it's on a downswing and it's bound to keep going lower. The West is weak and it's not all his fault. His star players are just coming to the end of their careers. SA is done, Jones is going to be done. Strong is officially done.

Hasselback isn't bad he just is on the wrong side of 30. The D has actually been pretty solid, the O is just getting worse and worse every year.