Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: How to use Poker Tracker.

Take the number PT reports in the BB/Hand column with the "On Steal" filter applied and multiply that number by 100 to get your BB/100 on steals. Compare this to your regular BB/100 winrate on all hands.

M
Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 PM

bookmarked.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the number PT reports in the BB/Hand column with the "On Steal" filter applied and multiply that number by 100 to get your BB/100 on steals. Compare this to your regular BB/100 winrate on all hands.

M

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this. Is there any reason why this should be at least double your winrate?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 AM

thanks, great post. added to favorites
Old 05-31-2006, 12:35 PM

This is an excellent post. I think I'm going to attempt to write the SQL to create a report that would allow me to quickly get a print-out of all my stats with the appropriate filters applied.

If anyone has already written some of the SQL queries please send me a PM and I'll start compiling them into a single report.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks, great post. added to favorites

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-05-2006, 06:35 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 AM

added to favorites
Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

M

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this. Is there any reason why this should be at least double your winrate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, double was arbitrary. If I were writing it now, I'd say it should be more like quadruple, but that's still just a vague rule.

If I really wanted a number to compare, I'd probably take the reported per-hand winrate, multiply by 100, and multiply by my VPIP (as a fraction). I'll use my numbers as an example:

Over the last 3,710 hands at $100NL, I've had a winrate on blind steals of 1.65 PTBB/hand.
Multiplying by 100, that's a winrate of 165 PTBB/100.
My VPIP has been 26.77%, so multiplying we get 165*(0.2677) = 44.2 PTBB/100. That should be larger than my regular winrate.

The reasoning behind this math is that our winrate is over the hands that we actually *play*. If we have a winrate of 6 PTBB/100 but a VPIP of 20%, that means that on the 1/5th of hands we actually choose to play, we win an average of 30 PTBB/100, and then on the 80% we don't play, we win nothing. Since the "blind steal" filter automatically focuses exclusively on hands where we are playing, our winrate should be much higher -- multiplying by your VPIP gives you more of an apples-to-apples comparison.

The main point is that you need to compare your blind-stealing winrate to a higher number than your overall PTBB/100 or else you're deceiving yourself into thinking you're doing a great job when you might not be.

Blind steals should be VERY profitable since you're in the most advantageous situation that the game can offer. If you can't post a SOLID win on your blind steals, you need to reconsider your strategy.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM

Thats funny you posted that today, I was reviewing my stats and got all excited cause mine was extremely high compared to my PTBB stats. I feel cruel though and am having difficulties with the moral implications of blind stealing. Perhaps I should hold my breath until this sensation go's away. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]