Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Ann Coulter: We Want Jews To Be \"Perfected\"

[ QUOTE ]
if I'm allowed to voice my opinion: I was thinking last night of whom I would consider as the "left's" counterbalance to Ann Coulter, and my first thought was James Carville. He does seem to be a little more thoughtful of what he shouldn't say, but I'd judge him as being just as shrill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am conservative/libertarian regarding just about everything (could you tell?) and I think Carville is a brilliant guy. Obnoxious at times, but a smart fellow and I can't stand his positions.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd like to add that I've had my mind changed many times by listening to Limbaugh. I'm not a big fan of the manner he uses to express ideas but sometimes I can see alternate ways of viewing an issue, or by just receiving more info. on some subject material, I come to a more rounded, more informed opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with the "more information the better" route. It helps to see the other side's pov, but does it actually change your core belief or make you a better supporter of your original stance by being more informed of the other sides argument?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 AM

Carville's a smart guy, but he's so weird in his personal speech and his array of tics that he comes across as loony. He's also got a big mouth, in terms of not being very careful about what he says, but maybe thats part of his schtick, kind of like Coulter. I've never heard Franken's show, nor have I read his books, so I really can't comment on his politics; I never found him particularly funny when he was strictly a writer/comedian.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Carville= loony+ big mouth + obnoxious = Coulter

and I agree totally with Andy about Al Franken: don't know much about him except he's not funny (lol)

blufish: I've had my mind/ original stance completely changed by things Rush has said. I mostly dislike him, and think his "shtick" is harmful to our country as a whole, but sometimes he can add clarity to the way things are being presented for us to swallow by the media or other spokespeople. Sometimes, he is also just the master of spin.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's your right to not have any problem with Ms. Coulter. I am careful with my words; Ms. Coulter is not a fascist. She is a liar, an ignoramus and an insensitive, impolite blowhard who never lets facts or rudeness get in the way of seeking publicity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing! Excellent and succinct observations, and all true.

-Zeno
Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

DEUTSCH: ... we should just throw Judaism away and we should all be Christians, then, or ...

COULTER: Yeah.

DEUTSCH: Really?

COULTER: Well, it's a lot easier. It's kind of a fast track.

DEUTSCH: Really?

COULTER: Yeah. You have to obey.

DEUTSCH: You can't possibly believe that.

COULTER: Yes.

"We just want Jews to be perfected, as they say," Coulter said later in the show. "That is what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ms Bigmouth probably meant “corrected” instead of perfected but her Freudian slip is understandable. The “fast track” and “ours is more like Federal Express” are interesting comments (Elijah, an Old Testament Prophet of God, obviously was on this fast track). It is hard to decipher what she actually means. Are the Jews in some holding pen awaiting a fast track Christian Bus to pick them up? Anyway, I know I have always wanted to be perfected; the conundrum has always been how. Now I know, Praise The Lord and Ann Coulter for all that.

-Zeno
Old 10-14-2007, 04:38 PM

A zing! from Zeno. Cool. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's fine blufish. I thought this was a discussion and not a dialogue- my apologies for misunderstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

no apology necessary. there are certain issues, politics being one, that people are polarized on, immediately. i never see discussions.

people may argue for days, but they never get past their base principles.

so i probably do lean on the side of stating a position and moving on...

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be very convenient for you. When someone disagrees with you on a topic, it is only because they are so blinded by their base position and biases that they are incapable of seeing the light. It doesn't even matter if they present you with cogent, logical arguments!

[/ QUOTE ]

we finally agree. i could not possibly care less about changing someones mind regarding whether or not they like ann coulter. call her a "hack" all you want. i don't agree. i said so prior and it is definitely not worth arguing about to me.

people prove, what i said above, on this forum and others everyday. wake up. how many times has your mind been changed regarding political issues or personalities? if you are very young, maybe many times. if not, i doubt... ever.

what i said about people having base principles and not flinching from them stands, imo. and i don't think its so "out there" as to be implausible.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very, very cynical, and very, very wrong. You suffer from the same disease that many narrow-minded people suffer from, i.e. you think that everyone else thinks like you. Since YOU are not interested in learning new things or changing your positions, then no one else can be either! If I was a smarter person I'd have stopped typing a few sentences ago since this post, explaining to you exactly why you are wrong about those who do not reside in your head, cannot possibly have any impact on you. Right?

Also, LOL at your defense of your position being "I don't think its implausible." Thats your standard? Yes you are correct, it is at least POSSIBLE that everyone thinks and acts just like you, and no one will ever change their mind about anything important. Its a huge, huge underdog, but its POSSIBLE.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that anyone could not see how the statement "We should just throw Judaism away" is not offensive. The only reason for it not to be is that it comes from Ms. Coulter, who specializes in such ugliness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

What is the logical difference between her statement and "I am a firm believer in christianity and I believe it is the one and only true faith"

It's just worded differently. As an atheist (I think u r too) most religious preaching annoys me. As a decent human being, Coulter makes my skin crawl. It's just that this statement is about par for the course for intolerant monotheism.

Christians who say stuff like "well I believe x, and that works for me, but if you believe y that is fine too" are being dishonest either with themselves or with you. The third possibility is that they dislike you and don't want you to go to heaven.

Of course, on a practical level, saying "my religion is right, and yours is wrong" isn't just a philosophical statement. It is also a statement of moral superiority, and in the past, has served as a pretext to disenfranchise, persecute, torture, or kill certain groups of people, so I think it is reasonable to view these attitudes with a certain hostility, especially when coming from a woman like Ms. Coulter.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What is the logical difference between her statement and "I am a firm believer in christianity and I believe it is the one and only true faith"

[/ QUOTE ]

the difference is highlighted clearly when dd says he's a jew, ac says, yes but you're not practicing, with her condescending ridicule of the mere idea that even a jew would *practice* such a dorky religion. of course dd fires back that, actually, yes, he is a practicing jew, believe it or not.

I mean that's just without going into anything deep at all. It's like if you're black and and I walk into a library and see you inside and say, my my, what in the world are *you* doing here, *brother*? and then when you say actually are able to read and do read (even though you're black), I say, well, I'm much better than you because I belong to <x>, and I just have to come in here and get my thingee stamped (it's a book, you tell me, like I would even bother to remember such peonische stuff) and then officially I'm smarter than you people.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the difference is highlighted clearly when dd says he's a jew, ac says, yes but you're not practicing, with her condescending ridicule of the mere idea that even a jew would *practice* such a dorky religion. of course dd fires back that, actually, yes, he is a practicing jew, believe it or not.

I mean that's just without going into anything deep at all. It's like if you're black and and I walk into a library and see you inside and say, my my, what in the world are *you* doing here, *brother*? and then when you say actually are able to read and do read (even though you're black), I say, well, I'm much better than you because I belong to <x>, and I just have to come in here and get my thingee stamped (it's a book, you tell me, like I would even bother to remember such peonische stuff) and then officially I'm smarter than you people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those are all the bad, condescending things. Now, how is it DIFFERENT?