Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Atlanta: Your favorite things to do or places to go

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, sounds like that town has changed a lot since I moved away in 2000.

Anybody know if the Stein Club is still there? I used to live w/in walking distance of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stein Bar did close several years ago. I was actually there on their last day open. They were rather flagrant since they knew they were closing, allowing people to smoke weed, making really strong drinks, etc.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Geez, sounds like that town has changed a lot since I moved away in 2000.

Anybody know if the Stein Club is still there? I used to live w/in walking distance of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stein Bar did close several years ago. I was actually there on their last day open. They were rather flagrant since they knew they were closing, allowing people to smoke weed, making really strong drinks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz, awesome. I loved that place.

t0ne: yeah, that was the address.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM

Old schoolers might remember these names, I'm pretty sure they're all gone now but I had some spewin' good times in them:

Little 5 Points Pub

Murphy's Pub on N. Highland

Cotton Club

White Dot on Ponce

Nobody's mentioning Taco Mac so it must either be history or have fallen way out of favor, because the one at VA and Highland was a place to be.

I don't remember the name of the place, but one of the gay bars had a drag queen review that I got hauled to once, and had a really great time. Lead queen was named Charlie Brown if I recall.

Last but not least: ElD's beloved Club Anytime, where the entrance line was still going after dawn.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody's mentioning Taco Mac so it must either be history or have fallen way out of favor, because the one at VA and Highland was a place to be.

I don't remember the name of the place, but one of the gay bars had a drag queen review that I got hauled to once, and had a really great time. Lead queen was named Charlie Brown if I recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are just so many Taco Macs, I guess we take them for granted perhaps.

The all night club you are thinking of was called Backstreet. That place was insane. So many drugs, strippers, hordes of gay guys dancing for 12 hours and more drugs. The odds of hearing snorting sounds while in the bathroom were better than 2-1. They sold whipits and had insanely long lines to get in as late as 5 AM. Possible headquarters and definite main hangout for the Velvet Mafia.

My favorite anecdote from that place (I have many, as I went there a lot when I first moved to ATL right after college) came on Halloween. First of all, said line was way long until 6:30 AM. Now, the thing about Backstreet is that there were lots of transvestites there. So... combine the already difficult problem of figuring out who is male and who is female with HALLOWEEN COSTUMES and you have a recipe for making out with a guy when you are into women. I consider myself lucky to have avoided this. One woman (you'll see how I was sure of her sex in a moment) was wearing some strange costume with lots of straps and buckles, and absolutely nothing covering her breasts. Just walking around, nipples waxing in the breeze. Nice costume. She was not so hot, but I had been drinking so that didn't occur to me until the next day.

One last thing about Backstreet: there was a phenomenon called the "Black Rain". You would be standing in one of the high ceiling rooms and something would drip on you. Basically, one of the dance rooms would get so sweaty that moisture would build up on the nasty ceiling and drip down on you. It could stain your clothes slightly black.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cotton Club

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, it was a sad day when they stopped having concerts here. I saw some great shows for like $8 here.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cotton Club

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, it was a sad day when they stopped having concerts here. I saw some great shows for like $8 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. Does anyone remember the last show they saw there? I believe it was Cake for me.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 AM

Don't remember the last but probably my favorite was Barrence Whitfield and the Savages.

Used to see acts there that were just starting out before they got big. Chris Isaak, Lenny Kravitz.... of course the Indigo Girls. Cops used to have to stop people from camping on the street the night before their dates at L5P Pub.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 PM

Hey guys, now we can hate watching 5 pro teams!!!!

Atlanta is getting a WNBA franchise
Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 AM

wife and i are going to bacchanalia (sp?) this week. supposed to be one of the best restaurants in the area so ill TR it if anyone cares
Old 10-27-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wife and i are going to bacchanalia (sp?) this week. supposed to be one of the best restaurants in the area so ill TR it if anyone cares

[/ QUOTE ]

Def top 3. Would appreciate a TR.