Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, lest we forget

everyone in the south is fat and stupid and sweaty fwiw
Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 AM

I don't recall anyone saying the Civil War was all because of slavery, only you saying it wasn't about slavery. I realize that it's much easier for you to argue against ridiculous positions that no one has taken rather than the positions that we actually do take, but you really need to refrain from doing so. It just makes you look silly.

Slavery was clearing the most important issue, but also clearly not the only one. There were many issues of contention between the South and North, but the Civil War was only made inevitable by the existence of slavery and the slave-based economy. Every other issue might've (and probably would've) been worked out without bloodshed.

Also, the South invoked States' Rights when it wanted to keep slavery legal, but ignored States' Rights when it wanted to force non-slave states to return runaways. So any mention of States' Rights as some magical source of legitimate greviance always leaves me cold.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only sweaty because I just climbed off your mother.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall anyone saying the Civil War was all because of slavery, only you saying it wasn't about slavery. I realize that it's much easier for you to argue against ridiculous positions that no one has taken rather than the positions that we actually do take, but you really need to refrain from doing so. It just makes you look silly.

Slavery was clearing the most important issue, but also clearly not the only one. There were many issues of contention between the South and North, but the Civil War was only made inevitable by the existence of slavery and the slave-based economy. Every other issue might've (and probably would've) been worked out without bloodshed.

Also, the South invoked States' Rights when it wanted to keep slavery legal, but ignored States' Rights when it wanted to force non-slave states to return runaways. So any mention of States' Rights as some magical source of legitimate greviance always leaves me cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slavery was a factor to some, yes. Mathematically speaking, if ONLY every male in every slave holding home served for the Confederates, the Confederate Army would've probably comprised say 15000-20000 people.

I once read in a Civil War diary of a US Infantry division who captured 2 or 3 confederate soldiers, none of which owned slaves. The Infantrymen questioned the three, saying "Well, if you're not slave owners, why are you fighting?" One responded "You're on my land"

This is generally the feeling of your average confederate soldier. If you're into history, I would seriously recommend you pick up some diaries, great reading, good research too.

When I say slavery isn't an issue, I assumed everyone had the understanding that I meant to the average foot-soldier, not to the average g-man. Of course the states cared about slavery, but you're naive to believe that slavery is why most soldiers were fighting. In the south, slaves were a status symbol of the rich. Too many movies and too little knowledge have led many to believe every southerner owned thousands of acres of land and hundreds of slaves. Less than 10% of the citizens of GA AL MS TN LA owned slaves in 1859.

Also, and I'll have to find the sources for this so I can source it, so I won't post the details until then, but the southern economy was not as dependant on slavery as many are taught today.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only sweaty because I just climbed off your mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intelligent wit is still a southern trait, fwiw.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 AM

oh boy this thread

woof

sure is nice
Closed Thread