Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Have a nice day sir

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
" I work for a living, don't call me sir" ??? should i say, "have a nice day, grunt"

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh a little background on that, he was a career military person, then went into the state troopers.

He would say it with a smile and a nice tone. He did not say that with an angry demeanor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brings up a movie question--in most military movies (Full Metal Jacket, Officer and Gentleman, etc.), the drill sergeant requires "Sir, yes, sir!" from the troops. In Stripes, Sergeant Hulka wants to be called "sergeant" and not "sir" because he "works for a living."

SO WHICH IS IT ?!??
Old 09-21-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brings up a movie question--in most military movies (Full Metal Jacket, Officer and Gentleman, etc.), the drill sergeant requires "Sir, yes, sir!" from the troops. In Stripes, Sergeant Hulka wants to be called "sergeant" and not "sir" because he "works for a living."

SO WHICH IS IT ?!??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad we have a serious life question about the military that stems from Stripes. Awesome movie
Old 09-29-2007, 08:33 PM

GRUNCH

Mike,

When I moved to Texas (from Maine) at age 11, I found it hilarious that my fellow classmates called our teachers "sir" and "ma'am."

Within a few months I was doing the same. In Texas at least, it is nothing more than a sign of respect. So when you hold the door for someone - whether they are older or younger than you - I think them calling you 'sir' is nothing more than a respectful way of saying thanks.

Now, I could be way off base here since we're in the north.

My 2 sense.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:14 AM

I've started getting all my store loyalty program cards with the title of Sir. It was funny to me the first time when I ticked the box on the online sign-up form.

Thus, I now get mail addressed to me as "Dear Sir Josem."

It also makes for interesting conversations with people doing surveys and stuff. They ask you for your name, they doubt that you really are a "Sir" and then you pull out a Flybuys card (or whatever) and they believe it.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:40 AM

Is this an American (and British?) thing?

Maybe I just have a faulty/selective memory, but I can't recall being called sir on any more than just a few occasions.

I guess it's the equivalent of "ma'am"? Nobody says that here either.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:08 AM

This is very much an American thing. I only get called sir when I am in the US, and then, way too much.

What is very strange about the US, is that people call service staff sir when they want attention. Or people they don't know to get their attention.

Strange stuff...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've started getting all my store loyalty program cards with the title of Sir. It was funny to me the first time when I ticked the box on the online sign-up form.

Thus, I now get mail addressed to me as "Dear Sir Josem."

It also makes for interesting conversations with people doing surveys and stuff. They ask you for your name, they doubt that you really are a "Sir" and then you pull out a Flybuys card (or whatever) and they believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gold.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is very much an American thing. I only get called sir when I am in the US, and then, way too much.

What is very strange about the US, is that people call service staff sir when they want attention. Or people they don't know to get their attention.

Strange stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why this is strange.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 AM

How else would you try to get someone's attention when you don't know their name?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:22 AM

I did a job when I was 20/21 where I had to drive around Ontario. When I was visiting a client I had to wear a suit. But since I'm a natural slob if I was just doing a driving day I'd wear baskeball shorts/t-shirt because it was more comfortable. It was the first time I really noticed how how you're dressed affects how you're treated. I would get sirred 2 or 3 times a day when suited up. I almost never got sirred when I was slobbed up.