Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Biggest lie in the history of mankind

kentucky bourbon fried chicken?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
About cannibalism: I'm meaning a similar thing being done to people that is done to animals

[/ QUOTE ]
You're taking this too far into left field -- I can't relate to it. The situation you describe is so unrealistic that I simply can't wrap my mind around it.

When the day comes that I see a human rump roast in the supermarket, I'll tell you how I feel then.

[/ QUOTE ]

woman is OK but not man. that's gay, yo.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 PM

vhawk,
A lot of people in Germany tolerated it. Also, I don't think it would have been stopped if Hitler had not tried to conquer whole Europe. Nobody really cared very much about Jews.

Also, doesn't that just tell how killing is usually a "bad play", and for that reason not beneficial or very common?

Sephus,
when it comes to life of a sentient being, I think it's pretty clear that happiness is good and suffering is bad. You don't agree? Then I can estimate the effects with the information I have about what causes suffering and what causes happiness. I don't really think it's much of a matter of taste.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
About cannibalism: I'm meaning a similar thing being done to people that is done to animals

[/ QUOTE ]
You're taking this too far into left field -- I can't relate to it. The situation you describe is so unrealistic that I simply can't wrap my mind around it.

When the day comes that I see a human rump roast in the supermarket, I'll tell you how I feel then.

[/ QUOTE ]

woman is OK but not man. that's gay, yo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sephus, I am not yet intoxicated enough, obviously, to understand your statement / joke. Clarify, yo.

edit: nevermind, I caught it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sephus,
when it comes to life of a sentient being, I think it's pretty clear that happiness is good and suffering is bad. You don't agree? Then I can estimate the effects with the information I have about what causes suffering and what causes happiness. I don't really think it's much of a matter of taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

if we agree about what is good, then we have the same tastes. you can't use the word good and not be talking about taste. even if 100% of people agree about what is good, it's still a matter of taste.

calling happiness (pleasure) good is a bit confusing because pleasure is good by definition.

however, it's one's own pleasure that's good by definition. we tend to think other peoples happiness is good, but a world could exist where jealous beings think others' happiness is bad, and they wouldn't be objectively wrong.

i still want to know why i shoudln't do things that cause more bad then good, provided they're good for me.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Happiness is good by definition, so it's not really matter of taste. I think pleasure is just one thing that causes happiness though. What else than happiness could possibly be good? And suffering is the opposite of happiness.

I guess a world like that could exist, but I don't think it's this world.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i still want to know why i shoudln't do things that cause more bad then good, provided they're good for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is offtopic really. At least I think society should try to make such laws that this kind of exploitations would not be possible. Obviously it's practically impossible to reach that goal though.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happiness is good by definition, so it's not really matter of taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

one's own happiness is good by definition. other people's happiness is not.

[ QUOTE ]
I think pleasure is just one thing that causes happiness though.

[/ QUOTE ]

we disagree about what the words mean. i don't want to get into a big thing about it.

[ QUOTE ]
What else than happiness could possibly be good?

And suffering is the opposite of happiness.

I guess a world like that could exist, but I don't think it's this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you agree that a world like that could exist, then you're agreeing that it's one's own happiness that he must call good.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is offtopic really. At least I think society should try to make such laws that this kind of exploitations would not be possible. Obviously it's practically impossible to reach that goal though.

[/ QUOTE ]

but you want the laws in place because you think people "shouldn't" exploit animals, because the animals suffer and animals' suffering is bad. so it's natural for me to ask why people shouldn't do things that cause "bad," unless the bad is bad "for them."
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Um, if they're constantly jealous about other's happiness, then that would decrease their own happiness, and then they would benefit more from doing something "bad" to the others than the others would suffer from it. I think this is a very theoretical and pointless discussion though.

I don't see how others' happiness wouldn't be good when one's own is (generally).