Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: The Well: SEABEAST

[ QUOTE ]

What player types (regulars) tend to give you the most trouble? The least?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, good question. I have trouble sometimes with guys with nitty stats but who threebet a ton, you know the type - 19/12 or 18/15 but they manage to threebet or squeeze you once every orbit. After a while you can figure out how often they are reraising and adjust a bit but at first it's really hard to deal with. Also I find it hard to play vs guys who play similarly to myself but just a little bit more aggro and fearless postflop - thankfully these people mostly reside up at 10/20. I do very well against people who limp and call raises OOP! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what's your current setup for poker? Pics? Also pics of your crib would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

No pics sry, but I have a 30" Dell with a pretty good cpu/wireless mouse/gaming keyboard. I should really take pics of my hizzle as I finally just finished setting it up how I want it, maybe soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I don't have any mods for my client and don't even use 4 colour deck! Such a software fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow sick you don't even have a mod for PP or use 4 color deck? WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

4 colour decks are for the gays!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is floating out of position something you do a good amount?
Example, you call a pfr flop comes 8c6c5, which completely missed you. Now you call the c-bet to bluff any club, 9,4,7,8,6? Or how about an A high dry flop. Here you lead the turn (repping turned 2 pair or better not allowing vilain do do a pot control check) I'm thinking its almost impossible for villain to continue without the goods here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do it sometimes for sure. both examples you gave are pretty good, when you call a pair and draw flop like 865 it's pretty obvious to villain you aren't folding your hand so he will almost always give up when he doesn't have anything, and when you check call a dry ace flop you obviously have an ace, so you can take down the river. you don't want to go crazy with this stuff, but sometimes sure.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM

You mention focusing on a group of posters and kind of filter out the rest.

If you had to name a strong contigent of MSNL posters and SSNL posters which ones would a poster be best to focus on what they are saying in strategy threads?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM

SEABEAST, please make a video even if you're playing 100nl on Stars. I just want to see you play.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had to name a strong contigent of MSNL posters and SSNL posters which ones would a poster be best to focus on what they are saying in strategy threads?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this is an awesome and very highly loaded question.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that your style, which is kinda laggro (opening alot of pots in late pos, 3 betting, 40% attempt to steal etc) is better in todays game environment than that of a 18/16ish tricky tag?

Do you think certain styles are definatevly more optimal than another or does it come down to personality and what you are and are not able to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really interesting and probably deserves its own thread. My personal opinion is that we all probably each have our own optimal style based on our personalities, given that we are not robots, and that we have to make decisions based on how people perceive us. Just because Samoleus plays 40/30 and wins more than everyone else doesn't mean that we should all try and do it. There is no point trying to force it.

It's like anything else - different people have certain strengths and weaknesses in poker and our style should reflect that. The most important thing is to understand your own game and how people perceive you, so that you can correctly assess situations.

such a sick graph congrats sea.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while 12tabling, what hud stats u value/check most?

[/ QUOTE ]

VPIP/PFR, so important preflop. I understand people saying they can play fine postflop without HUD, but preflop having access to VPIP/PFR stats on people is so amazing.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have two questions with respect to this way of thinking about the game. 1) What provided you with the skills to be able to recognise different the relevant variables in any given spot and respond to them appropriately? Experience, innate skill, 2+2, poker books, session reviews, something else, a combination of things...? I really try to play explotitively in the way you describe, but in game time frequently I'll size up the situation and respond incorrectly one way or the other, but it sounds like you just have a really solid foundation on which you base your decisions. How did you go about developing that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another really interesting question. It is a combination of intuition/instinct and fundamental knowledge, weighed up mathematically on an unconscious level I think! Sounds pretty pretentious but that's the only way I can think of describing it. Out of the things you mentioned experience and learning to think about the game the right way (2+2 is great for that) are the most important. Obviously we all need to learn the fundamental concepts at first. Then stuff like handreading skill develops over time as you see similar situations over and over and get a feel for how certain types of people tend to play in certain spots.

Once you have these abilities from there it's just a matter of combining the two and knowing what to do in the moment based on intuitive calculations, obviously when you look at nosebleed stakes they all know the fundamentals and have handreading skills, it is largely a battle of instinctive brilliance in the moment - well that and who tilts the least, gets the most time with the fish, and runs the best [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
2) How on earth do you keep track of player's tendencies and the flow of a table playing 9 tables on average? Does that require you to rely heavily on stats?

Slightly different but related question, do you datamine and then try to build reads from known stats, or do you approach new players cold and suss them out just by observing them/prodding them and seeing how they react?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm pretty good at filtering out information ie. basically ignoring any "decisions" that are automatic, like raising aces folding 72o etc. I do them without even thinking about it. So even though I might be playing 12 tables, at any point in time I am *really* only playing maybe 1 or 2 hands in my head, and folding/raising every other hand preflop without even thinking about it. Because of this it's not that hard to zero in on what's going on, and get a feel for how opponents play. I don't datamine but I have stats on most people because the Party player base isn't huge. I like the way you put that though - "approach new players cold and suss them out just by observing them/prodding them and seeing how they react". I definitely do that, and I think my style mostly forces people to react to me rather than the other way around.