Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because the Pac deserves their own thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

PAC 10 > Big East >>>>>>> SEC>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know college football is at least partially about delusional homerism, but this is just, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't seem delusional at all if one watched the games played thus far

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what has the Big East done so far this year except struggle against supposedly far inferior competition? That was a nice win by USF, but Auburn isn't exactly looking all that great this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

yesterday on college football live,
Jesse Palmer said Big East > Pac-10 > SEC > BigXII > Big11Ten > ACC in ranking teams based purely on what has happened on the field.
Cincy's dominating win v Org St was the reason he gave the edge to the Big East. Rece Davis pretty much said that those thinking the SEC are strongest are basing it off of preseason expectations and confirmation bias.
ESPNU's Inside the Polls Mike Gottfried gave Pac-10 the slight lead over the Big East with the SEC behind the two based on action thus far.
Those are the only two tv talking heads that I've seen break it down so far.

2 more weeks of heavy non-conference action to go, but it looks really good for the Pac10 right now. Sounds weird, but it's these things that often determine who gets the all important multiple BCS berths.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds weird, but it's these things that often determine who gets the all important multiple BCS berths.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure this year. The reason others have alluded to. It's going to be tough to get an extra berth if say the Pac 10 or Big East second-place team has 2 losses, which will probably be the case this year, when the SEC and the next tier down (ACC, Big 12, Big 10) have a couple of one-loss teams. It could get worse as well since it'll be tough for the Pac 10 champ to go undefeated. It's quite difficult to get 2 teams into the BCS without one of them in the championship game.

I agree with you that it helps, but unfortunately it depends a lot on how many losses the second-place teams have in each conference.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM

very true Jared

the one thing that really helps the Big11Ten, Pac-10, and Big East is no final title game to give the second best team an extra late season loss

Though the big conferences have been roughly equivalent over the BCS-era, the Big11Ten has a strong lead in number of berths because of its ability to produce a 2nd place team with few losses (hell-they really skirted it the year Iowa didn't play tOSU and got crushed in the Orange Bowl v Carson Palmer-led SC).
Old 09-13-2007, 02:35 AM

Arizona State looks OK on offense. The O-Line got off to a slow start but dominated Colorado in the second half after manhandling San Jose State. There's plenty of weapons outside and Torain looks like a top flight RB with a solid backup.

The only thing holding this offense back from being a 35+ pt per game is Carpenter's inconsistancy. When he's on, they are a top 10 offense. The problem is he's off so often. Against Colorado he had about 8-10 balls where he was throwing a short to medium pass to a wide open reciever and just fluttered the ball out there incomplete. He also holds the ball too long on the deep routes. On one particular play, he had three guys in the pattern, all going deep, all wide open. He held the ball too long and let the defense catch up. Another similar situation he took off running instead of chucking it to a wide open reciever down field.

Defensively, I'm worried. They've dominated against the run so far, but that's against two teams that really can't pass. Colorado had about ten drops in the game, including two wide open TDs. San Jose State had plenty of wide open guys to throw to, but no QB to throw it. The pass rush looks horrendous and recievers are able to easily get open. The softness of the schedule could make this a 6-0 team to start out, but right now they look like they'll give up 40+ to USC and Cal, even at home. Let's hope that Erickson has some coaching and recruiting magic up his sleeve.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's hope that Erickson has some coaching and recruiting magic up his sleeve.

[/ QUOTE ]

He usually does.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
b
Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM

It's called "find some JC guy, sign him, and pray he rushes for 1000 yards before he rapes again"
Old 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's called "find some JC guy, sign him, and pray he rushes for 1000 yards before he rapes again"

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on dids, he's not that one dimensional. There's also "find some badass that got kicked off another team for violating their rules and pray he rushes for 1000 yards before he gets kicked out of the university" (since there is no way he's getting kicked off the team).
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM

On the Erickson front, he's close to being my most hated coach. Actually, he probably does edge out Neuhisel.

Before he came to OSU I didn't really care much about them. The Civil War was a huge game and there was rivalry in that but when we weren't playing them I cheered for them to win. I distinctly remember people cheering in Autzen stadium when they were winning and it went up on the scoreboard. Since his second year there I've cheered for them to lose except when they play Washington or a team that Oregon would like to lose for a conference race or something.

Of course they were winning then and the couple years after he left, but it's more than that. They had the standard team of criminals that Erickson has had everywhere (actually I just read on wikipedia that he was the coach at wazzu in the 80s, you know anything about that dids?) and the arrogance surrounding the program was amazing given that they hadn't even been to a bowl game in a long time. Admittedly Oregon fans aren't great either, I actually think most duck fans are terrible, but the way their team and fans acted during that stretch has caused me to now dislike them.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b