Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License

Plz move to Politics so we don't have to see this thread anymore. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 AM

Dude I just got the best idea. I'm going to go to Best Buy and buy some stuff, then walk out and make a big fuss when they ask to see my bag. I'll go outside of course so I draw the security dude and manager out, and even if another security guy mans the stand he'll probably be interested in what's going on out there. Then while everybody's distracted, my little cousins (I have 8 and they're really fast) will all run out carrying Wiis. Then I'll sell them on ebay to women from beverly hills who can't be bothered to drive to the store and I'll personally deliver the wii when the husbands aren't home and that's how I end up with a hot sugar mama.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But after he gets there and the store says he wouldn't let them check his bag he is suspicious a crime has been committed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm no lawyer, but since when is the peaceful refusal to voluntarily submit to a search and seizure sufficient to establish suspicion? I don't see how the mere refusal can establish legal suspicion.

I mean, isn't the whole point of the 4th amendment to protect people from exactly this circumstance?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, isn't the whole point of the 4th amendment to protect people from exactly this circumstance?

[/ QUOTE ]
From federal and state authorities but this is capitalizm and companies can do it if they want LOL n00b
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM

i am anti-law enforcement and very much libertarian in every way imaginable. i support personal freedoms, but when someone goes out of their way to inhibit someone from doing their job, when it is not in anyway detrimental to themselves, they deserve what they get

"HAI LOOK AT ME IMA SMARTASS AND WONT SHOW DA COP MY ID CUZ HE THINKS I STOLE THINKS, AND I'LL MAKE HIM THINK THAT CUZ I HAVE NO LIFE"

the law about this kind of stuff is crazy. i worked for a law firm during the summer. if a cop asks you for your ID and you say you don't have one, but they later find one on you, it is resisting officer's arrest without violence. to impede an officer from doing his job is obviously obstruction of justice. people have reasons for not showing their id, like arrest warrants. the cops have to follow up and do their job, whether or not me, or any of you like it.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah this reminds me of that costco thread where people were talking about how you don't actually have to show them your receipt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Costco is a little different as you sign a contract that states they may check your bag and receipt as you leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you sign a contract with Costco saying they can strip-search you then punch you in the face is it too enforceable?

*Edit - I can't spell punch.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 AM

The Nevada document I linked says in the first paragraph that you just have to say your name, but the second says a cop can ask for identification, which I believe to be an ID.

I did some searching and found http://suealtmeyer.typepad.com/cleve...ntiterror.html

this says, in Ohio, you have to give your name, address, and birthdate. It goes on to talk about having to give ID, but only in certain places, and this isn't one of them. So he didn't have to show his ID, if I'm reading that right, but this guy seems like the type that would keep questioning why he'd have to even say his address and birthdate. Not saying he should have been arrested for this, but he should stop being such a douche regardless.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you sign a contract with Costco saying they can strip-search you then pucnh you in the face is it too enforceable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic, but I'm pretty sure I signed one of those at some point
Old 09-07-2007, 01:04 AM

This

[ QUOTE ]
i am anti-law enforcement and very much libertarian in every way imaginable. i support personal freedoms,

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not match this.

[ QUOTE ]
but when someone goes out of their way to inhibit someone from doing their job, when it is not in anyway detrimental to themselves, they deserve what they get

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-07-2007, 01:06 AM

Me: “I’m required by law to state that my name is Michael Righi, but I do not have to provide you with my driver’s license since I am not operating a vehicle.”
Officer Arroyo: “Give me your driver’s license or I will place you under arrest.”
Me: “My name is Michael Righi. I am not willing to provide you with my driver’s license.”
Officer Arroyo: “Turn around and up against the wall.”

this guy is a [censored] idiot. that is all