Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: film: 3:10 to Yuma

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the ending made sense. crowe's confession in the train station (about what he's done twice before) makes it clear he's not at all concerned about getting on the train.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't explain all the other non-sensical stuff mentioned before, as well as <font color="white"> why in the world he would kill all his buddies that came to save his ass </font>

Took my wife to see it and she thought it was good. As soon as we got home I took out my Unforgiven DVD and forced her to watch it. She got my point.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

to me, the ending made sense. spoilers in white:<font color="white">The movie had been showing Ben's disdain for his comrades the whole way, and his growing respect for Dan. when Dan was killed, this was brought to a head, and he executed the gang. this was not for nothing, as he wanted Dan's son to live, and to live with a heroic image of his father. He then proceeds to the train, to complete the deal with the railroad, and the task for Dan (I doubt the son cares anymore, but i suppose it might matter to the railroad man) he then whistles for his horse... presumably to make his escape shortly </font>
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="ffffff">why in the world he would kill all his buddies that came to save his ass</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause he's rotten as hell.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 AM

Why would you quote a spoiler that was in white?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:56 AM

because people are [censored] retarded, that's why.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:30 AM

I enjoyed reading most of the negative criticisms so far because most of them don't contain any valid reasons why this is not a great film. People are trying way to hard to knock this movie. Its not even worth it to respond to many of the criticisms.
One thing though- why do movies have to be believable? Just because something might not happen in real life, does that mean it shouldn't be part of a "great" movie?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:48 AM

let's just dispense with the unnecessary spoilers in white. this is a discussion thread about the movie, anyone who doesn't want spoilers shouldn't be reading it. with that warning, i'm including spoilers in the rest of my post.

russell crowe's sudden transformation simply MADE NO SENSE. after spending the whole movie trying to escape, he suddenly decides, "oh what the heck, sure, i'll go to prison." riiiight. literally one minute he's strangling christian bale, the very next scene he's running across rooftops with him, dodging bullets. his gang's trying to shoot bale, but they could easily miss their intended mark and hit him instead. um, ok...i get that crowe likes the guy and wants the son to look up to his dad, but so much so that he's gonna risk getting killed for it? WTF.

as for the contention that "The movie had been showing Ben's [crowe] disdain for his comrades the whole way": huh? when? where? what movie were you watching? the movie showed the whole way that crowe was confident that his crew would come rescue him! his line: "as sure as god's vengeance, they're coming." why was he so confident? presumably because he was sure of their loyalty to him, at least among some members. in fact, at one point when one crew member expressed doubts about continuing the rescue, because they'd been tricked to go more than 80 miles in the opposite direction, charlie prince commanded that they go on, saying, "you're forgetting how much he done for you."

and this leads to the end where crowe shoots them all--another huge WTF. let's take charlie, who was his comrade-in-arms thru who knows how many robberies, who was so grateful and loyal to him that he spearheaded a rescue mission that lasted two days and nights, who just saved him from being put on this prison-train by shooting his captor: WHY THE HELL WOULD CROWE KILL HIM??? did crowe shoot him to avenge bale? if so, HOW THE F was charlie supposed to know that he wasn't supposed to shoot bale??? look at it from charlie's point of view: "alright! finally! i saved our leader! um...boss, why'd you just shoot me in the chest?" he must've died thinking, WTF?????

so yeah, this movie really ticked me off.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:19 AM

movie is based on an old movie of the same title. basically its a remake. So I guess you need to stick w/ the general premise, hence all the things you guys did not like. Take into account what movies were like in 50s 40s, etc...

Bottom line; Best movie I saw this year in theater (Zodiac moves to #2). I mean, to make a good western is [censored] hard. ANd this was a fresh one, that was interesting throughout. I mean it wasn't slow, and it wasn't fast, just right. Great acting IMO, and a well executed plot. Shure ending is weird. Nut Russel Crow wasnt the bad guy. Really he was a good guy who did bad things. The bad guys were the sheep who just followed him. Plus he obv is gunna get free, b/c he sick like that. He escaped before, so he know hell do it again.

BTW, el D, It was kind of a spur of moment thing, hence I didn't contact you.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, to make a good western is [censored] hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
movie is based on an old movie of the same title. basically its a remake. So I guess you need to stick w/ the general premise, hence all the things you guys did not like. Take into account what movies were like in 50s 40s, etc...

Bottom line; Best movie I saw this year in theater (Zodiac moves to #2). I mean, to make a good western is [censored] hard. ANd this was a fresh one, that was interesting throughout. I mean it wasn't slow, and it wasn't fast, just right. Great acting IMO, and a well executed plot. Shure ending is weird. Nut Russel Crow wasnt the bad guy. Really he was a good guy who did bad things. The bad guys were the sheep who just followed him. Plus he obv is gunna get free, b/c he sick like that. He escaped before, so he know hell do it again.

BTW, el D, It was kind of a spur of moment thing, hence I didn't contact you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even mentioning this in the same sentence as Zodiac is a disservence to Fincher's movie.

This is like the weird thing with westerns...if even an average one comes out people think its a good/great film because there are so few westerns.

Great western = unforgiven, searchers, dances with wolves,
the wild bunch, good bad ugly, josey wales, etc

Good western = the proposition, open range(mainly for the shootout at the end), high plains drifter, etc

this movie is somewhere right below Good but above average.

And movies don't have to be believable, though it certainly helps when your story is supposed to be grounded in reality, but the characters and their actions have to make sense.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM

I enjoyed this movie. yeah, there are definitely some plot inconsistencies and confusing logic bombs, but i liked it alot.