Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: *** Official Appalachian State Football 2007 Thread ***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never said Appalachian State was better than Purdue. I think Purdue probably wins 8 games with Purdue's schedule and they'd certainly be favored over ASU on a neutral field. I'm just saying that ASU could compete with the Big Ten's lower tier and is probably better than half of the FBS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did everyone forget this team (App St) lost by double digits at a horrible NC St last year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you forget that App State beat Michigan in the Big House yesterday?

I think we've had this discussion before. Yes, there is a big difference between size, speed and depth when comparing schools from BCS conferences to the best of FCS (I'm willing to admit that 90% of FCS teams wouldn't stand a chance in I-A conferences). Hell the I-A teams get double-digit more scholarships to work with. Can the top FCS schools compete for a whole season against BCS conference opponents? I'm not so sure. The scholarship/depth issue would be the greatest concern. Could the top FCS schools do well (9-3, 8-4, 7-5ish) in the lesser FBS conferences like the Sunbelt & MAC? There isn't a doubt in my mind that they couldn't. Hell App State would have an excellent shot at winning those two conferences outright. They are that good.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:07 PM

I saw ASU in person last year. Like whitebread said... they really are that good.

although JMU should have won that game... got [censored] by the refs
Old 09-02-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well next year we get them at Bridgeforth. Can't wait. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well next year we get them at Bridgeforth. Can't wait. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah well i was at the game yesterday... we looked like [censored]

our linebackers are small and slow, landers keeps throwing into coverage and our corners are terrible
Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 AM

Any specualtion yet this one win lands the App State coach a Division 1 coaching job?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The media is trying to do everything it can, apparently, to save Carr's job

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are you reading this? He is gone and everyone knows it. Even dumbass Mandel knows it over at si.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that's what all the pro-FCS stuff that ESPN was running as a "Maybe Michigan isn't that bad but rather ASU is that good" is about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, gotcha. Misread his post.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any specualtion yet this one win lands the App State coach a Division 1 coaching job?

[/ QUOTE ]

hope not. i'm still pissed that this idiot almost let michigan steal the damn thing away. with 30 seconds left they kick the field goal on 1st down from the far left hash mark.

a pee wee football coach would have known that the right move would be to run a play to the center, get the ball spotted and your team lined up with about 15-18 sec left then spike it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry Moore isn't going anywhere. IIRC, he has been offered jobs in the past and has turned them down. Jerry and his family have lived in Boone for ~15 years and are a big part of the community.

Also, to the earlier posts re: App going to D1. As an ASU grad it would be nice to see more formatable opponents on a more regular basis but I would rather have a 1 or two loss season and compete for the 1AA (or whatever its called now) championship than win ~5 games per year against 1A. Look at Marshall now, they were in the SoCon with ASU, and since have gone to 1A. They have been getting crushed by the ECUs of the world and sometimes make an appearance in some minor bowl. Hell, even when they went undefeated in '99 or whenever Marshall just went to the Motor City Bowl.

ASU's stadium holds about ~17K with a big hill in an endzone for another thousand or so. IMO, They will need big upgrades to the stadium for any 1A conference to even consider them.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be nitty, but Moore already has a Division I coaching job at App state. FCS is still Division I, just a different subdivision. Think Mid-Majors in Basketball.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hope not. i'm still pissed that this idiot almost let michigan steal the damn thing away. with 30 seconds left they kick the field goal on 1st down from the far left hash mark.

a pee wee football coach would have known that the right move would be to run a play to the center, get the ball spotted and your team lined up with about 15-18 sec left then spike it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has he ever explained why he did this? It seemed uber retarded at the time.