Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: My Swing Video (Driver)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And finally the advice for a 20 plus handicpper to practice hitting 6 irons off your kneees is so laughable its unbelieveable. Maybe a driver off a tee, but a 6 iron off the ground on your knees by a hack makes me LMFAO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why this would be a bad drill for someone like me? Is it too advanced or something?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Don't worry about offending me or anything by calling me a hack, I know I am. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said to tee up the 6 iron off the knees btw, I also mentioned it would hook due to the lie angle. This is a difficult drill, but unlike our mate here, I think you show a good deal of potential. All you really need is some stability and you'd have a good swing imo.

As for the swing bottoming out too early with your foot up on a bucket.....That's precisely what will happen if you lack stability, which is why you do the drill. If you can remain stable you can strike the ball perfectly, if not you will probably fall on your ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

With your left foot on the bucket your weight will be on your right foot on your downswing, not where you want it to be at all. All good swings are initiated with a bump to the left side, something you can't do with your left foot on a bucket.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Dave,
How much have you tried the drill where you hit from your knees?
How many separate sessions/days?
How many shots per session?

If you're like most of my students, the answer is too small.

I think it is a great drill for you and you will see positive results if you give it a proper chance.

Also take note that no one that I've seen in this thread has advised you to try to keep your head still.
Keeping proper posture and staying stable is not the same thing as "keep your head still".

Making swings from your knees, or while sitting in a chair (you can do this some at home indoors) will do many things to benefit you.
Not only will you become comfortable staying level, you will become comfortable with the proper release,
where the hands/forearms rotate much like swinging a baseball bat.
(I think swinging a baseball bat, or a golf club like it's a bat, i.e. chest high, will also benefit you. You start with your weight on your right side, feet close together, bat coiled. You stride with your left foot and then the bat follows.)

I also agree that your golf swing has quite a bit of potential.
A couple of fundamental flaws, and inexperience are your biggest hurdles right now.

Continue asking questions, here and elsewhere.
Do not get discouraged when improvemnet is not immediate.
Examine swings that you like. Setups that you like. And examine the proper grip and compare it to yours ( I suspect there is room for great improvement in this area).

And above all else, get a club in your hands as often as possible.
There is no substitute for that.
Knowing is one thing, and doing is another! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Best of luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And finally the advice for a 20 plus handicpper to practice hitting 6 irons off your kneees is so laughable its unbelieveable. Maybe a driver off a tee, but a 6 iron off the ground on your knees by a hack makes me LMFAO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why this would be a bad drill for someone like me? Is it too advanced or something?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Don't worry about offending me or anything by calling me a hack, I know I am. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said to tee up the 6 iron off the knees btw, I also mentioned it would hook due to the lie angle. This is a difficult drill, but unlike our mate here, I think you show a good deal of potential. All you really need is some stability and you'd have a good swing imo.

As for the swing bottoming out too early with your foot up on a bucket.....That's precisely what will happen if you lack stability, which is why you do the drill. If you can remain stable you can strike the ball perfectly, if not you will probably fall on your ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

With your left foot on the bucket your weight will be on your right foot on your downswing, not where you want it to be at all. All good swings are initiated with a bump to the left side, something you can't do with your left foot on a bucket.

[/ QUOTE ]Which brings us back to commenting on something you don't understand.

Great post from JTrout btw, I use a cricket bat to teach my students the feeling you describe. It's even better for the purpose than a baseball bat cause it has a face.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tiger can swing hard because his body coils correctly and he moves in proper sequence. OP could swing hard too if he coiled correctly and moved in proper sequence. Swinging slower will not make him coil better or move in proper sequence. I resent being called dense.

[/ QUOTE ]

something weird i noticed is that Tiger Woods is ranked 155th on the pga tour in driving accuracy
Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tiger can swing hard because his body coils correctly and he moves in proper sequence. OP could swing hard too if he coiled correctly and moved in proper sequence. Swinging slower will not make him coil better or move in proper sequence. I resent being called dense.

[/ QUOTE ]

something weird i noticed is that Tiger Woods is ranked 155th on the pga tour in driving accuracy

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying if Tiger slowed his swing down he would play better? Power off the tee is the name of the game on the PGA Tour, not accuracy. Furthermore, 155th on the PGA Tour in driving accuracy is not exactally a wild hitter. Those guys are good!!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:50 AM

yes he obviously hits more fairways when he isn't "going for it".

and all of the commentators jizz all over their pants about how THERE WAS JUST SO MUCH POWER HE COULDNT POSSIBLY GET THE CLUBEHAD BACK TO SQUARE OMGMGMG AMAMAMAAAAZING SLICE INTO TREES NO ONE ELSE PEOPLE.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes he obviously hits more fairways when he isn't "going for it".

and all of the commentators jizz all over their pants about how THERE WAS JUST SO MUCH POWER HE COULDNT POSSIBLY GET THE CLUBEHAD BACK TO SQUARE OMGMGMG AMAMAMAAAAZING SLICE INTO TREES NO ONE ELSE PEOPLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you are criticing the best player to ever to play golf don't you? Why don't you do him a favor and write and tell him if he slowed his swing down you think he could win more tournaments and become a better golfer. Tell him you think hitting 7 and 6 irons in from the fairway is better than wedges from the rough with the tucked pins on the PGA Tour. You can't argue with success, if he needs to put the ball in the fairway he has demonstarted an ability to do that. You think when he hits that stinger 2 iron down the middle he is swinging "easy"?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM

all i said is he hits more fairways when he doesn't swing as hard.

i think that is common knowledge of almost anyone who has ever played golf before, but i keep forgetting, you won the club championship.

[ QUOTE ]
Tell him you think hitting 7 and 6 irons in from the fairway is better than wedges from the rough with the tucked pins on the PGA Tour.

[/ QUOTE ]

also this right here shows how little you watch him play. Watch golf, he routinely lays way way way back of other playes and hits 6 and 7 irons when they are hitting wedge.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:02 PM

1. Stand a little wider
2. Grip- both v's should be pointing to your right ear roughly.
3. Swing much much too long. Get it to around parallel with ground and this will calm down your lower body as well. Try and feel you are hitting it 3/4 or so.
4. Dont try and kill it as much.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried both of the drills and they were pretty difficult for me at first. The bucket drill seemed like a really good one and after a while I was able to maintain balance. Thanks for the tips.