Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Diamondbacks: Real Fangs or just empty rattling?

[ QUOTE ]
i bet on them preseason to win the nl pennant at 50:1.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I finally figured out why you want them to win. Given your love of the gamb00l I should have put it together sooner though.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 AM

I wanted to bump this thread because there is only nine games left for the D-Backs and they have a slim 1-game lead on San Diego. The Dodgers are out of the race realistically but Colorado has a fighting chance. Looks to be a neck and neck race down to the last few games between the D-Backs and the Padres. The D-Backs have tomorrow off so the Padres can cut the lead to a half game if they win tomorrow.

Losing Orlando Hudson was a blow and Chad Tracy is also out for the year. If their pitching (especially the late inning bullpen) can hold up the D-Backs will get into the post season and that is not what most people would have expected - at all.

Go D-Backs.

-Zeno
Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i bet on them preseason to win the nl pennant at 50:1.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I finally figured out why you want them to win. Given your love of the gamb00l I should have put it together sooner though.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I liked them before I bet on them, and now I really like them. Do you watch The Show on MOJO? It's about minor league players in the D-Backs organization trying to make it to the big time. It was filmed in 2005, I think, since Chris Young and Carlos Quentin have both made it.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM

It was filmed in 2005, but Quentin hasn't really made it. He was so unlucky this year, got hurt, had a terrible BABIP, got sent down, hit well in the minors and now he's a pinch hitter waiting to be traded after we signed that horrible Byrnes contract. I think this playoff run is the worst thing to happen to the DBacks and will end up crippling our prospects of building a future dynasty.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 AM

Can he play center? Do you need pitching prospects? I know a team who might want him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can he play center? Do you need pitching prospects? I know a team who might want him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

His range factor in right has been above average, but not sure if that's good enough to make a decent centerfielder. Trading him for pitching is the plan now. He still might be a bust, his minor league stats are park/league inflated (he hit .348/.430/.530 in Tucson this year). IRRC his line drive percentage in the majors was very good while he was hitting .210 this year, which indicates bad luck, he takes walks, and gets hit by pitches (good for OBP, bad for longevity). The kind of prospect who deserves more than 130 games in the majors at ages 22-23 (career .230/.318/.426) to prove himself.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Up 2.5 with 7 to play (and 3 in the wild card). I'm thinking we might not blow this thing.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:07 PM

The Padres had me scared for a couple of days, but it looks good now.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Up 2.5 with 7 to play (and 3 in the wild card). I'm thinking we might not blow this thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. But it is a scary thought. With the Mets falling off the D-Backs now have the best record in the NL, also a rather frightening thing to contemplate. If the Rockies can stick it to the Padres once more and the D-Backs pound down the Dodgers for a sweep then things will look pretty sweet.

-Zeno
Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 PM

As Winston Wolf would say, "let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet". If Colorado does in fact win again today and complete the unlikely road sweep, they'll be only 1.5 - 2 games out of the wild card, depending on what Philadelphia does. The D'Backs finish the season with a three game tilt in Colorado, where the Rockies are tied with the D'Backs for fewest home losses.

If Arizona doesn't fare well today and against Pittsburgh, this could come down to the final game of the season.