Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Are large weddings worth the money?

Hopey,

Care to give a rough breakdown on those expenses, as in how many guests, whether you covered airfare/lodging, how much dinner/open bar was, etc?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM

What cultures still have the bride's parents spend the dough in these situations? And do they pay like 80%, or the whole deal?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any girl who thinks a big wedding (or an expensive ring) is important, is not a girl I want to marry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, but you just eliminated no less than 90% of American females right there.

LOL MAILORDERBRIDEAMENTS!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What cultures still have the bride's parents spend the dough in these situations? And do they pay like 80%, or the whole deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its pretty common across the board no? at least around here it is.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife's father paid for her wedding dress, and my wife's mother (they're divorced) gave us $1000 towards the wedding. We weren't expecting much more from them.

My parents gave us $1500 for the wedding. We covered the rest.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:09 PM

LOL 'paycheque.'
Old 08-20-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I've been wondering. Not a single person in this thread yet has said that parents (typically bride's) have paid for their wedding (someone mentioned a portion was paid). Are parent funded weddings almost completely non-existent these days?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably somewhat overstated here due to movies and crap. My sister knew from a pretty young age that there was zero chance of our father spending for a large, lavish wedding. Especially had she gotten married 5-10 years ago while money was a bit tighter for my folks than it is now. He's about to retire and has mellowed out a ton, so maybe he'd kick her $5K for a wedding, but she wouldn't be expecting it. It would be a grand gesture on his part.

A lot of people just simply can't afford these kinds of expenses.

Of all the posts I've read, I liked Hopey's thoughts. Planning it with the guests in mind should pretty much make it an awesome time, regardless of the budget. I know personally I'd be fine with a ceremony at the Justice of the Peace and a reception at the Knights of Columbus as long as it was filled with family and friends, good food, plenty of booze, and good music to dance to.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 PM

It might be a family by family thing, but I know my uncle paid for my cousins wedding, and one of my good friends is getting married this winter and her parents are footing 90% of the bill. Im pretty sure its still common around here, at least from my limited anecdotal evidence over the last couple of years.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopey,

Care to give a rough breakdown on those expenses, as in how many guests, whether you covered airfare/lodging, how much dinner/open bar was, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try, but I'm sure I'll get a few of these numbers wrong:

-We had approx. 100 guests.

-About $2000 or so for the after-rehearsal dinner.

-We didn't cover airfare/lodging. However, I didn't invite any out-of-town friends, and all my wife's out-of-town friends had family or friends that they could stay with. Almost all of our out-of-town family members stayed with relatives in town. Of the remaining out-of-towners, we arranged for a group-rate discount at a nearby hotel. They covered their own hotel bills.

-It was about $1500 for the photographer, and $1500 for the videographer.

-My wife knows a few musicians. They didn't charge us much to play during the ceremony.

-I have no idea how much we paid the DJ at our reception. Whatever the going rate is, I guess.

-The dinner and hall rental were in the neighbourhood of $10,000 - 12,000 or so.

-Another $500 - $1000 or so for hors d'oeuvres and a chocolate fondue fountain

-Add a few hundred bucks for the limo.

-Add whatever the officiant charged us ($200?)

-Add about $1000 for flowers. Most of the flowers and decorations were supplied by the hall.

-We had an open bar after the ceremony and unlimited wine at dinner, but it was a cash bar during the reception. Our parents plus wedding party had an open bar all night. Add another $1000 - $1500 for this.

-About $200(?) for my tux.

-About $1000(?) for my wife's dress

-About $300(?) for the wedding cake

-About $1200 for the wedding bands (rings). It was about $4000 for the engagement ring, but I'm not counting this as we were engaged for a year and a half before we got married.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few miscellaneous expenses. It probably worked out to $25,000 or so, but about $5000 of it was covered by our parents.

We spent two weeks in Hawaii for our honeymoon. Add another $10,000 or so for this, for a grand total of approx. $35,000 for the wedding.