Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: The Make a Wish Foundation

To the people who disagree with OP:

Let say you have 2 kids. One is about the die from some disease and there's no chance he will be cured. The other is basically healthy, but needs some immediate orthopedic surgery, or else he will have a bad limp for life.

Kid 1 wants you to spend all your money to take him to disneyworld for a week. Kid 2 wants you to get him his damned surgery. Which do you spend the money on? Don't be a jackass and give me a compromise solution. It doesn't exist in this scenario.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 AM

tell kid one that he is a selfish little bastard and is on timeout for the remainder of his life (not that bad only like 2 months?) and then go get the other kid his surgery so that he will be able to walk when you and him go to see the superbowl or something with the other money that that little bitch kid 1 doesnt know about, ldo.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:51 AM

it's really screwed up that you guys are attacking OP's moral character when it's 100% clear that his intentions are for kids to not suffer in the future. If you disagree with his perspective or his argument, fine. Personally, I think that makes you overly sentimental, but whatever.

But if you go so far as to say that he's a scumbag, then you've really crossed the line, and probably need a brain transplant.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:09 AM

"They're not making any kind of lasting difference in anyone's life, so far as I can tell."

yeah, that is generally what happens when u help terminally ill people....

Make a wish foundation is definately in the bottom 20% of charities as far as doing the most good IMO.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"They're not making any kind of lasting difference in anyone's life, so far as I can tell."

yeah, that is generally what happens when u help terminally ill people....

Make a wish foundation is definately in the bottom 20% of charities as far as doing the most good IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're in the top 1% of charities that don't save lives or address economic issues though.
The question becomes: what are your priorities as a charitable donator?
If you want to give a sick kid a special day, and give his family a better memory of the kid's passing, then I applaud you. You're a more generous person than someone blowing tons of money on expensive jewelery, hookers, penis enlargement surgery, clubbing, etc.

However, for my money, I prefer disease research, aids work, preventing starvation, helping orphans, etc.

In general, any sort of national charity is a sucker play, because money goes a million times farther in third world countries, and there are a ton of reputable organizations doing great work out there. Shop around. I think if you do look long enough, you'll find that make a wish won't break your top 100 of most worthy charities.

Anyway, Dids actually won this thread a while ago, by saying that the people that gave to make a wish probably wouldn't have given it to a more worthy charity anyway, so arguing that MAW is in the bottom 20% or w/e is sort of a moot point. It's not OUR money to spend, and nor is it the responsibility of MAW to bend to the reasoning of utilitarian a handful of utilitarians on a message board. They have an obligation to the donors, and to the sick kids they promised to help.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
id pick angelina jolie, and then i would ask her for a bj.

[/ QUOTE ]
IIRC, some kid asked for a BJ from some actress (i forget who). she declined.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that did happen, but it was a prank.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To the people who disagree with OP:

Let say you have 2 kids. One is about the die from some disease and there's no chance he will be cured. The other is basically healthy, but needs some immediate orthopedic surgery, or else he will have a bad limp for life.

Kid 1 wants you to spend all your money to take him to disneyworld for a week. Kid 2 wants you to get him his damned surgery. Which do you spend the money on? Don't be a jackass and give me a compromise solution. It doesn't exist in this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get kid 2 the surgery and then THE [censored] MAKE A GODDAMN WISH FOUNDATION TAKES US ALL TO GODDAMN DISNEYLAND.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tell kid one that he is a selfish little bastard and is on timeout for the remainder of his life (not that bad only like 2 months?)

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha
Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cbloom:

yeah, you're a moron. this is an incredibly adolescent worldview - i'm surprised there isn't a nietschze or rand quote somewhere in your OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so adolescent about it? I think OP raises a perfectly legitimate point. That you don't agree with it doesn't make it immature or dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

It smacks of intellecutal childishness. Obviously, sophistical arguments can be made against any particular institution, but there are ten billion more important and awful things in this world to question.

It's not any different from arguments in favor of euthanizing the elderly or letting the homeless starve or any number of ultimately 'logical' and impracticable ideas that might save all of us a couple of bucks.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cbloom:

yeah, you're a moron. this is an incredibly adolescent worldview - i'm surprised there isn't a nietschze or rand quote somewhere in your OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so adolescent about it? I think OP raises a perfectly legitimate point. That you don't agree with it doesn't make it immature or dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

It smacks of intellecutal childishness. Obviously, sophistical arguments can be made against any particular institution, but there are ten billion more important and awful things in this world to question.

It's not any different from arguments in favor of euthanizing the elderly or letting the homeless starve or any number of ultimately 'logical' and impracticable ideas that might save all of us a couple of bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have said that arguments based on name calling and inability to consider ideas that are at least superficially repugnant were more in line with what I would call intellectual childishness.