Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Does your significant other mind poker?

I gave her a present. Not quite sure how much to put on it each month.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:22 AM

Not to provoke envy, but surprisingly she is proud of it. As is my father in law.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:13 AM

I think I have to change my answer from "She plays occasionally" to "Her bb is 3.5/100...."

My wife took $350 off the 1/2 NL game at the Borgata in about two hours over the weekend, about 12 hours after she won a 45 person, $100 buyin tournament at the TAJ for an $1845 first prize.

And I had to grind out $80 at the $6/$12 game. But I'm not jealous.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:34 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Take one of her buddies along on the trip. We always bring one of the MRS's ess? buddies along, they go to shows, hit the SPA whatever and I can play poker and don't have to worry about the MRS wandering around alone.

Now if I could just figure out how to get low lmit poker to keep up with the cost of the slot machines, I would be fine.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 AM

I met my spouse on a poker forum. 'Nuff said. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

--Polly
Old 06-10-2005, 06:26 AM

My significant other (live-in GF) doesn't really like my poker playing. Honestly she'd prefer that I work at McDonald's for minimum wage than play at home (I suppose if I was making huge money that would change.. like >$100k/yr).

I've done quite well, and currently it's my only source of income. I graduated from college a year ago and have been reluctant to find a job (not to mention the job market for my major around my location is pretty bad right now). It pays the bills plus alot more.

My friends seem supportive of my success, although only one of my closest friends really understands the way it works (the game & financially) - some simply dismiss as "gambling". My parents are somewhat supportive.. They'd prefer me to have a real career type job - but I believe my Dad thinks its pretty cool as he often brags to his buddies about my success.

Seriously, what young guy in America wouldn't want to have a stay-at-home, set your own hours, fairly high wage job that involved playing a game online? Not many that I know. However, I don't view poker as a game really - in the way that I don't particularly enjoy it like a game (unless I'm hitting some great cards of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). As many of you know, poker at any serious level for money that's important to you can be very stressful - and of course there are no guarantees any given day, or week that you'll turn a profit or break even (but, the odds always prevail in the long run).

My GF and I have been through this conversation a few times before, but it's not going to change her overall opinion. She'd rather I work a "real" job that she could tell her friends, co-workers and relatives without hesitation (although one of her friends thinks it's really cool). Such is the life of a poker player.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:45 PM

I had to buy another computer so she can play right next to me.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had to buy another computer so she can play right next to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if that's +EV Jim. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2005, 09:30 PM

You forgot an option for "I don't have a significant other, but the chick that slept over last night doesn't seem to mind." Seriously though, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but not all of us are into the committed lifestyle. Then again, maybe its not an option because I don't have to worry about random girls think... oh well, thats my two cents.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, what young guy in America wouldn't want to have a stay-at-home, set your own hours, fairly high wage job that involved playing a game online? Not many that I know. However, I don't view poker as a game really - in the way that I don't particularly enjoy it like a game

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY except for the last "I don't enjoy it" part -- I LOVE IT. It's like a dream job! Yet women and even others have a hard time comprehending this unless you're on the "inside" and really understand it.