Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Restuarants Requesting People Turn Off Their Cell Phones.

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I feel like cell phone etiquette is a pretty trendy issue for people to get their vaginas unnecessarily sandy about. I mean, aside from taking calls in church or a movie or class or whatever, or just braying obnoxiously in general, who gives a [censored]? You people talk like you see red when you spot somebody taking a call at Ruth's Chris. How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

I think there is a difference between someone using a cell, which I couldn't care less about, and someone from the next table over shouting into their phone like, uh, like somebody that is really loud.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c we are sharing public space, and the other person is making it an uncomfortable place to be. that makes it my business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I feel like this is pretty much a neurosis with no rational basis. You might feel the same about, say, someone wearing a loud shirt, or kids playing, or whatever, but it's really your problem and not theirs, no?
Old 08-05-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c we are sharing public space, and the other person is making it an uncomfortable place to be. that makes it my business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I feel like this is pretty much a neurosis with no rational basis. You might feel the same about, say, someone wearing a loud shirt, or kids playing, or whatever, but it's really your problem and not theirs, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

until I punch them in the face for being an obnoxious [censored], then it becomes their problem

said more calmly: there is a time and place for most things. you shouldn't have screaming kids in a nice restaurant - agree or disagree?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

I feel like cell phone etiquette is a pretty trendy issue for people to get their vaginas unnecessarily sandy about. I mean, aside from taking calls in church or a movie or class or whatever, or just braying obnoxiously in general, who gives a [censored]? You people talk like you see red when you spot somebody taking a call at Ruth's Chris. How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

I think there is a difference between someone using a cell, which I couldn't care less about, and someone from the next table over shouting into their phone like, uh, like somebody that is really loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree, but I don't see how this differs from someone talking loudly under any other circumstances. As previously noted people have a somewhat elevated tendency to shout on their phones, but that's not exactly an ironclad connection. Again, I feel like this is just a popular excuse for self-righteousness more than anything.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree, but I don't see how this differs from someone talking loudly under any other circumstances. As previously noted people have a somewhat elevated tendency to shout on their phones, but that's not exactly an ironclad connection. Again, I feel like this is just a popular excuse for self-righteousness more than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll by this. I've said this for a long time about the hate for cell phone use in cars causing accidents, when it is way, way down the list of distractors that cause accidents. I think it's number 6 behind playing with the radio, eating and drinking, passengers in the car, etc. The number one class of distractors that cause accidents are "Objects external to the vehicle."

The hate for cell phone use while driving is just stupidity fueld by busy-body anti-cell snobs.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
said more calmly: there is a time and place for most things. you shouldn't have screaming kids in a nice restaurant - agree or disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. But in a restaurant where screaming kids are common, and even catered to, not allowing cell phones is just being pissy and self rightous about it because you want to.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. But in a restaurant where screaming kids are common, and even catered to, not allowing cell phones is just being pissy and self rightous about it because you want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure. but this thread is about an "upscale" restaurant
Old 08-05-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure. but this thread is about an "upscale" restaurant

[/ QUOTE ]

My earlier post that drew contention was about a non upscale place.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll by this. I've said this for a long time about the hate for cell phone use in cars causing accidents, when it is way, way down the list of distractors that cause accidents. I think it's number 6 behind playing with the radio, eating and drinking, passengers in the car, etc. The number one class of distractors that cause accidents are "Objects external to the vehicle."

The hate for cell phone use while driving is just stupidity fueld by busy-body anti-cell snobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight Dope: Is cell-phone use in cars dangerous?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight Dope: Is cell-phone use in cars dangerous?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cecil is playing fast and loose with the data. While cell phone use is the most common distractor, because a lot of people use cell phones, it is way down the list in terms of likelihood to cause an accident.

[ QUOTE ]
A study released in April 2006 found that almost 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds of the event. The study, The 100-Car Naturalistic Driving Study, conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), breaks new ground. (Earlier research found that driver inattention was responsible for 25 to 30 percent of crashes.) The new study found that the most common distraction is the use of cell phones, followed by drowsiness. However, cell-phone use is far less likely to be the cause of a crash or near-miss than other distractions, according to the study. For example, while reaching for a moving object such as a falling cup increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by 9 times, talking or listening on a hand-held cell phone only increased the risk by 1.3 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cecil says things like:

"Cell phones are involved in a lot of crashes. Best evidence: investigations of actual incidents. One study of 456 accidents in Australia requiring a hospital visit (McEvoy et al, BMJ, 2005) found that in nine percent of cases (40 crashes) the driver had been talking on a cell phone during the ten minutes prior to the accident, based on phone records."

But neglects to tell you the numbers for other distractions, which are actually larger than 9%, even though cell phone use is the most common distractor.

The study he cites where cell phone use results in the most accidents is out of sync with most other studies, and only comes from a sample size of 100.