Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: current American politicians that you respect

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
coors,

I don't understand, why is it so awesome to kill untried drug traffickers? Because they are Mexican?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amplify,

No, not because they are Mexican, but because they are drug traffickers. It's past time we stop being wimps and aggresively go after drug smugglers, terrorists, and other scum.

Old school, John Wayne style.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, because obviously the gov't is not spending enough time and tax dollars on the "Wars on Terror/Drugs"
Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
coors,

I don't understand, why is it so awesome to kill untried drug traffickers? Because they are Mexican?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amplify,

No, not because they are Mexican, but because they are drug traffickers. It's past time we stop being wimps and aggresively go after drug smugglers, terrorists, and other scum.

Old school, John Wayne style.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are evil incarnate.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just made a post in response to the Paul Pork article, explaining why, even though I completely agree that the issue is Paul's great ideological weakness, and may be his Achilles Heel, it will not change my support of him in the upcoming presidential election. I made a handy Venn diagram to illustrate my reasons and summarize my argument:

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you link to the post you made?

Also, sweet diagram!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's in the comments at the bottom of the article MrMom linked.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What should we make of the overlap between 'Ron Paul' and 'Everyone who is not Ron Paul'?

[/ QUOTE ]

That he agrees with them on some things? Like that government should exist?

I'm not sure I understand the point of the question.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:39 PM

There are tons of guys IDK about.

Senate: 100
Congress: ~ 535
Reps: ~ 435
Governors: 50

Over 1,000 heavyweights, add in a bunch of other ppl like mayors, President's cabinate, etc... and you end up lost.

I mean for accurate understanding, you would need to follow politics very closely (imagine never following the NFL, and fallowing it for 1 year, you'd still be lost more or less)

So I cant really say I like or hate anyone. I will say, I like most ppl who appear on Charlie Rose; ppl like Kissinger, and other politicians who might not officially be politicians, but still have some political status. Maybe it is because they are not influenced as much by lobbies, and public opinion.

I'm a republican. But I realize 99% chance a dem is going to be pres. next year, so if I had to pick a dem. pres. here would be my list:

Lieberman (isn't he independent now?)
Clinton
Biden
Obama

Looks like I'll be voting for Clinton.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just made a post in response to the Paul Pork article, explaining why, even though I completely agree that the issue is Paul's great ideological weakness, and may be his Achilles Heel, it will not change my support of him in the upcoming presidential election.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we only supported those things and people that we 100% agreed with, we'd vote for... no one. I don't even think I agree with me 100% of the time, yet so often it seems people make the perfect the enemy of the merely good.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Here's a list of well-respected US politicians:
http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I respect John McCain because he is a badass who survived tougher conditions than I can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i certainly respect him for that, but it ends there.

im afraid he's lost pretty much all his credibility in the last few months with various comments/stances on the war andagreeing with and supporting bush no matter what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely. He has blown the credibility that he spent 20 years building. McCain has been defined by bipartisan efforts, free thinking, doing what he thought was right rather than towing the party line. But put him in this primary situation and he moves to the far right and abandons everything that made him who I thought he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think that McCain didn't have a great chance a while back. The reason for this is that he has always been a lot more conservative than people gave him credit for. He's been happy to go at it with his party, but most of the time he's acting on conservative principles. He's been pretty hawkish on the military side the whole time.

Basically, my view was that once it got heads up with whoever the democratic nominee was if they ran a halfway decent campaign (ha!) they should be able to damage him a lot among centrist and especially liberal leaning voters that like him because he's a maverick.